Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House in Kilbarry?? Derilict?

• 28-01-2009 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all

Can anybody tell me who owns the very grand and old house out on the Kilbarry road just up past the halting site if waterford crystal is behind you the halting site is on your right and just past that on your left there it is it also looks down a road that goes off that road.

Who owns it? is it just left there? I thought that the travellers owned it as they are always going in and out of there bringing horses in and just hanging around there.

I think its a shame as it looks like it was a very important house in the past and now looks like its falling into decay i think its very sad that it could be left fall into such a state.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I believe the owner of the house sold up a long time ago due to hassle from the travellers. They own it now afaik. I was told the story before by a chap who knew the original owner but I cant recall the exact details but the above is a good summary. (If I have the right house, which I think I do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Sully wrote: »
    I believe the owner of the house sold up a long time ago due to hassle from the travellers. They own it now afaik. I was told the story before by a chap who knew the original owner but I cant recall the exact details but the above is a good summary. (If I have the right house, which I think I do)

Ah man that is a sad story that house looks like it had a great history to it and im sure there were important people living in it i bet it has a story to tell like a good story behind it,

I like the architecture to it,

As i said drivng in the direction of six cross roads, Waterford Crystal is behind you and just as you pass the halting site there theres a turn to a road on the right this house is actually on the left looking down that street.

I couldnt help but think the house was more important than the road in front of it the housing estates popping up around it and the halting site to its right yet its being shut away and fogotten about, sad man

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Give me a few weeks and ill meet the person again and will ask for a reminder. Im not 100% on the history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

A sign of things to come in Lismore Park Maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nialla

bought by a developer, (the same one who built the lovely (and empty retail park) up beside the outer ring road. He owns all the land around the house as well, planned to build a load of houses:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Are you 100% on that,

That land looks like it belongs to the travellers, they are always at that house on the land coming in and outta that house!

Surely theres a preservation order on it?

looks old enough

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

ziedth wrote: »
    A sign of things to come in Lismore Park Maybe :D

What's that meant to mean?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

It wasnt bought or taken over by the travellers !

It was owned by a family member of mine - it was sold with land to a developer.

The travellers probably use the stables there as it isnt occupied!

nialla wrote: »
    bought by a developer, (the same one who built the lovely (and empty retail park) up beside the outer ring road. He owns all the land around the house as well, planned to build a load of houses:rolleyes:

My recollection was wrong. The above is correct.

Owner sold the house due to constant trouble by some travellers and a developer now owns the land. No sign of any work being done on it and I guess the travellers are using the land as they please.

Advertisement