Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this qualify as a rip-off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Here's another one, have a look in their recently new catalogue and if you still have their old one compare prices, the differences in price in just over a week are unreal. Here's one example:

Streetwize Carpeted Boom Box with LED - 038/3071 - €74.79, £48.89 up north.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...1500019754.htm

Same item in the old catalogue / if you purchased it two weeks ago - €39.99.

I wouldn't even go near argos here in the south now, total rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Argos recently raised their prices on a lot of electrical items :( I always just make sure I hunt around for that kind of stuff, competition is so fierce in the electricals market theres always someone selling for cheap h.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Their toasters also went up in price - the cheapest toaster went up by a couple of euro.

I wonder if the sterling effect is htting their supplies now.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

I dont shop in places that have a Uk network and charge ridiculous prices in Ireland. Example Next or Marks and Spencers. They have the Uk price under the irish price. The prices are sometimes nearly double the cost. Like they make up their own exchange rate. When they have a sale on, the sale prices match the dam exchange rate. People are just conned into buying loadsa thing because they think they are getting a great deal while the Uk heads are laughing at us. Nobody can argue the point that they are charging extra due to shipping costs. Nonesense, Huge bulk costs them nothing when you break it down to individual costs!

I was watching Newstalk or one of those programmes about 6months ago and there was a tesco representative from the Uk on it. He was asked why Tesco's prices are stubstantially more expensive in Southern Ireland compared to Northern Ireland. What did he say in reply? The irish people are willing to spend more money than the British.

So if we all stopped shopping in Tesco and went to Dunnes stores and Irish owned Branch, than tesco would have to force their prices down as they will realise that the Irish mentality has changed and we are not willing to be ripped off. Also we are helping our Irish economy as majority of the money will stay in the country as opposed to funding the Britsh economy. Tk Max another example. Next time you buy something there look at the Vat your paying on the piece of cheap clothing. It's 18% not 21.5%, so that 18% is going straight over to the Uk government not to ours, this adds to the fuel to the fire.

When are we going to wake up?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Would the ARGOS IE price qualify as a rip-off?
    Not in my mind, there was no deciet or confidence trick or "preying on tradition" e.g. the guy who got keys cut and THEN asked the price, most do this in pubs too. In this case it is all out in the open, who cares what prices are in other shops or countries, it is worth knowing, but if it is way overpriced then nobody will buy it and so are not ripped off. If somebody thinks it is worth paying the price I assume they also think it was worth it, and so not ripped off.

A ripoff would be argos overcharging your CC on the sly and refusing to refund the product since you only noticed when you got home.

Also in this case I reckon you should be usually be moaning about Sony, not argos (but in this case it is cheaper elsewhere). What is the RRP in Ireland? and what is the wholesale price sony sell to irish retailers Vs Uk one. Everybody is presuming retailers buy at the same prices, which is certainly not the case. A Wii or iPod have very different RRPs in different countries, do you really think Apple/nintendo/sony just sell products at the same price? not a chance!
    And if companies start sending stock from UK to Ireland to sell I expect sony/nintendo/apple would stop supplying them. This is why you only see UK branded coke etc in shady €2 shops and chippers.

In this case argos are charging more than other Irish stores, so just go there, argos are reknowned for high prices on fast depreciating items like memory cards etc, they only have ~4 books per year. Often these will be reduced in the instore smaller "on offer" catalogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

rubadub wrote: »
    Not in my mind, there was no deciet or confidence trick or "preying on tradition" e.g. the guy who got keys cut and THEN asked the price, most do this in pubs too. In this case it is all out in the open, who cares what prices are in other shops or countries, it is worth knowing, but if it is way overpriced then nobody will buy it and so are not ripped off. If somebody thinks it is worth paying the price I assume they also think it was worth it, and so not ripped off.

A ripoff would be argos overcharging your CC on the sly and refusing to refund the product since you only noticed when you got home.

Totally agree with you there on that point!

Not happy with the price, make a point and don't buy there!

Advertisement