Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Jobs in Australia

Options
  • 28-01-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Giving the current doom and gloom in Ireland I’ve toying with the idea of working abroad. I see that Australia has a special Migration programme for certain skills they need including IT skills. I have 11 years development and systems analysis and would be very tempted by oz.

Has anybody here applied for a Skilled Migration Visa? Is there much involved? I wonder how easy it easy to pick up a good IT job there..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

floyd333 wrote: »
    Giving the current doom and gloom in Ireland I’ve toying with the idea of working abroad. I see that Australia has a special Migration programme for certain skills they need including IT skills. I have 11 years development and systems analysis and would be very tempted by oz.

Has anybody here applied for a Skilled Migration Visa? Is there much involved? I wonder how easy it easy to pick up a good IT job there..

Not 100% sure but I think the Skilled Migration is for various locations as they dont want everyone ending up on Sydney and Melbourne.

I worked briefly in an IT role in Oz and loved it over there. Finishing work and head to the beach ... Sweet As :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

moved to Aus/NZ forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The skilled visa could take you over a year to get as long as your IT skills are on the In demand list. Plus getting an IT Job here is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Australia are starting to close the doors.

maybe look into Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

ntlbell wrote: »

maybe look into Canada

is this based on anything ?

• Advertisement

lady_j wrote: »
    is this based on anything ?

Global credit crisis.

rising unemployment in oz.

The end of the world.

Take your pick really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I know a skilled IT guy who applied a year ago for Australia and has recently been informed that they are currently processing applications lodged in 2007 and he reckons he's at least a year away from getting accepted.

Global credit crisis.

rising unemployment in oz.

The end of the world.

Take your pick really.

So just your opinion then...

If your looking for a good job in oz do not go over on a WHV. From what I read there is a plan to reduce the amount of business sponsored visas. However there is still a skills shortage. The reason so many irish are going is that there a number of construction related skills on this list and there are a lot of Irish unemployed with those skills.

Skilled migration list was reviewed and a critical skills list was made effective this month. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf. If you're on it then your visa will be a priority. I would suggest contacting a migration agent here and seeing what your options are.

So just your opinion then...

If your looking for a good job in oz do not go over on a WHV. From what I read there is a plan to reduce the amount of business sponsored visas. However there is still a skills shortage. The reason so many irish are going is that there a number of construction related skills on this list and there are a lot of Irish unemployed with those skills.

Skilled migration list was reviewed and a critical skills list was made effective this month. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf. If you're on it then your visa will be a priority. I would suggest contacting a migration agent here and seeing what your options are.

You claim it's my opinion then state you have read they're going to reduce the amount of visa's.

Ok.

It's not about opinion when unemployment rises the amount of visa's get reduced. by the looks of the OP post he wants to work in IT which is a sector that's currently been hit in OZ and a vast majority of IT jobs are confined to certain parts of OZ.

You can call it opinion, I call it common sense.

You claim it's my opinion then state you have read they're going to reduce the amount of visa's.

Ok.

Yep, hence the critical skills list, if your on it then you have options. OP only says IT so therefore I don't if their exact skills are needed. I linked to the list for that reason.

I just questioned your very general Australia are shutting up shop type comment. There is a lot of scaremongering going on at the moment, I wanted to see if you had any information other than personal opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ok.

It's not about opinion when unemployment rises the amount of visa's get reduced. by the looks of the OP post he wants to work in IT which is a sector that's currently been hit in OZ and a vast majority of IT jobs are confined to certain parts of OZ.

You can call it opinion, I call it common sense.

I think the point being made is that you say Australia is starting to close the doors without actually giving any evidence of it.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think the point being made is that you say Australia is starting to close the doors without actually giving any evidence of it.

well I wasn't expecting to have a pedantic pants discussion on it.

But to satisfy those pedant pants.

To the OP it looks based on the current economic climate in OZ the continuing job losses and the lack of evidence of an upturn in the global economic climate that it very likely IMO that the OZ will drastically reduce the amount of visa's that up until recently have been easily to obtain.

There is a current back log in the visa application process so by the time your application is considered there is a considerable chance that the economic climate could continue to worsen and work especially in IT fields will be IMO very hard to find (it all ready is in a lot of sectors)

Canada on the other hand might be a better option as they're currently a large demand in the IT sector there for you secure a job in your chosen profession.

Hope this clears up any tit for tat nonsense previously on the thread and we can continue with a discussion rather than primary school shenanigans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

maybe look into Canada

ntlbell, I know this thread has moved forums so you may not be aware of our forum charter.

The thought of emigrating abroad can be a confusing process. We ask that if people are making comments they have either have evidence to back it up or give a personal experience as to why it is true.

If you said that you were working in IT and were finding it tough to find a job then that would be different but you just said Australia was closing up shop because of the recession. You are neither in Australia nor an Australian immigration officer so I don't think it is appropriate for you to make definite statements like that while telling someone to go to Canada. By all means, say you'd imagine it would be harder but please hold off on telling people things are a certain way or make sure they know that it is only your opinion. Your post above was much more constructive and I'm sure, helpful to the OP. The original complaint from posters was not "nonsense".

Other posters - you should have reported the post instead of arguing back and forth. Please fo so next time.

Can we get back on topic please and discuss the question at hand. I don't want this brought up again.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm told old (30 now) to qualify for the working holiday visa.

I just checked and my skills are on this critical skills list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm told old (30 now) to qualify for the working holiday visa.

I just checked and my skills are on this critical skills list.

Have you had a look at job sites at all? There's some links in a sticky at the top of the forum.

I think there's no harm in applying for the visa, as long as you have thought about moving so far from home (it can be hard sometimes) and that you might have a long wait for it to come through - so don't rely on it if you can't get a job in Ireland.

As ntlbell said, it might be worth looking at Canada too. NZ also has a skilled migrant visa which may be worth looking at. You can find out about it and processing times etc here www.immigration.govt.nz. Again, in NZ it may take a while. I applied for residency so I could stay here and it takes over a year to come through, even though I am already in NZ. Luckily I'm entitled to a work permit too but it's good to be aware any kind of long term visa takes a while.

EDIT: I think you can get a WHV until your 31st birthday (there has been threads before on this). Maybe have a search or someone else may be along with some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Thanks folks.
    watna wrote: »
    Have you had a look at job sites at all? There's some links in a sticky at the top of the forum.

No I will do
    I think there's no harm in applying for the visa, as long as you have thought about moving so far from home (it can be hard sometimes) and that you might have a long wait for it to come through - so don't rely on it if you can't get a job in Ireland.
    I have a secure job here so I can wait a bit plus I plan on doing a bit of RTW travelling.
    As ntlbell said, it might be worth looking at Canada too. NZ also has a skilled migrant visa which may be worth looking at. You can find out about it and processing times etc here www.immigration.govt.nz. Again, in NZ it may take a while. I applied for residency so I could stay here and it takes over a year to come through, even though I am already in NZ. Luckily I'm entitled to a work permit too but it's good to be aware any kind of long term visa takes a while.
    I had a look at Canada but the waiting times are insane. Plus the Australian climate appeals more to me ;)

Advertisement