Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who deserves our money...

Options
  • 28-01-2009 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Just a positive thread for a change, I wanted to comment about Dolans Bar, I was there recently and was pleasantly surprised at how friendly and professional the staff were. I felt totally fine about handing over my cash for a few nice pints. Compare this to paying €15 into Icon and having a pint of piss almost thrown at you :eek:

With the recession, hopefully it will be the establishments that treat people well that will survive, and there will be a new focus on customer service as well as value for money.

Any other suggestions on establishments that would deserve our business? Be it cafes/pubs/shops/garages etc etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Very true CS is a joke in this country, especially in Limerick. My folks have been to Cork and have always said how nicer sales assistants etc are down there! Although i aint noticed any difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Your first mistake was going to the Icon and your second mistake was order a pint of P*ss. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Great value, food and service at the Wild Onion Restaurant (just down from the Round House Bar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

Great value, food and service at the Wild Onion Restaurant (just down from the Round House Bar).

Loud obnoxious american woman still there??? Don't consider that great CS. Food is good though.

As for the Icon... I fond all the clubs much the same. Best off heading to Nancy Blakes(great staff but always run off their feet) or Molly Malones for a late bar, especially in the current climate.

puglover wrote: »

As for the Icon... I fond all the clubs much the same. Best off heading to Nancy Blakes(great staff but always run off their feet) or Molly Malones for a late bar, especially in the current climate.

Nancy blakes, dont they have a door cover charge now?

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm in there most weekends at some point. Only time they charge a cover is New Years Eve & they provide food/champers then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I think family run pubs, shops etc should be supported. Places like Dolans, Costellos, Tom Collins etc

If at all possible I'd rather spend my money in a local family run business than some corporate giant like Tesco or overcharging clubs & pubs.

To be honest I would imagine most of the clubs/pubs in Limerick are owned by locals, not that I know who owns them all but of the ones I do they are all owned by Limerick folk, either individually or partnerships.

I'll be spending my money wherever I get the best value, wether that be Dunnes, Tesco or Aldi... it's still keeping jobs in the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Arathorn wrote: »
    Just a positive thread for a change, I wanted to comment about Dolans Bar, I was there recently and was pleasantly surprised at how friendly and professional the staff were. I felt totally fine about handing over my cash for a few nice pints. Compare this to paying €15 into Icon and having a pint of piss almost thrown at you :eek:

With the recession, hopefully it will be the establishments that treat people well that will survive, and there will be a new focus on customer service as well as value for money.

Any other suggestions on establishments that would deserve our business? Be it cafes/pubs/shops/garages etc etc ?

+ 1

Dolans is a great spot, good food, great live music acts, friendly staff(Bouncers)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

What about the garage in raheen charging people to use their air compressor. Hardly value for money when its free in most other garages in the area.:mad: People shud boycot premises like that when they are blatently ripping us off.

• Advertisement

mark1974 wrote: »
    What about the garage in raheen charging people to use their air compressor. Hardly value for money when its free in most other garages in the area.:mad: People shud boycot premises like that when they are blatently ripping us off.

Seriously?? :eek: That is shocking!!

There was a big uproar when it was introduced last year and the garage said it was a trial run to cover costs but it is still there. Not sure how much it costs.

Well anyone that is paying that obviously has more money than sense... honestly paying for air :rolleyes:

mark1974 wrote: »
    There was a big uproar when it was introduced last year and the garage said it was a trial run to cover costs but it is still there. Not sure how much it costs.

You have to run a very large noisy machine expensive to run machine to provide the air. In the UK Shell garages charge 20p to use their air.

Also you would be surprised the amount of air hoses that get stolen from stations. When my GF was managing the Shell on the Dock road you were replacing at least two per month until the stations was revamped in 2001 with the box containing water and air. For reasons I cannot directly say who was taking the air hoses but all the stations down on the dock road would tell you that it was people who commonly drive hiace's and transits and live on the dock road.

Berty wrote: »
    You have to run a very large noisy machine expensive to run machine to provide the air. In the UK Shell garages charge 20p to use their air.

Virtually every other garage in the city seem to be able to afford to provide this free of charge

Virtually every other garage in the city seem to be able to afford to provide this free of charge

And it should be FREE everywhere because its what the garages consider a loss leader. There is nothing to be made on the air. They associate you putting air in your tyres and the woman going into the shop to buy stuff she does not need.

Sorry ladies but that is marketing/sales 101.

Its the same for cigarettes. The margin is very low but you might buy chewing gum or a drink or something else with a high margin.

I for one would have used that petrol station nearly every day but I just thought that charging for air was plain greedy so now I use a different station and You`re right Berty, I always bought something in the shop;)

Berty wrote: »
    And it should be FREE everywhere because its what the garages consider a loss leader. There is nothing to be made on the air. The associate you putting air in your tyres and the woman going into the shop to buy stuff she does not need.

Sorry ladies but that is marketing/sales 101.

Why is gender relevant here?? :confused:

Why is gender relevant here?? :confused:

Gender is always relevant in sales especially in on a forecourt.

By and large its men who put the air in tyres, garages know this, marketing people know this and by offering services like vac, dog wash, air, water, mat wash etc etc whilst the other person is busy the bored partner will head into the shop and spend money on high margin items.

I think it can be easily argued that its mostly men who do the above. Im sure there are a few women who will argue they dont need a man to do these things for them. Good for you ;) but in most cases it will be the man who does these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've no difficulty in paying a few cent for a working air compressor. Small price to pay for a convenience. Cheaper than driving from one station to another hunting a working one down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Loud obnoxious american woman still there??? Don't consider that great CS. Food is good though.
    Leave Ruth alone. she's awesome customer service if you're nice to her, she'll be nice back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    I've no difficulty in paying a few cent for a working air compressor. Small price to pay for a convenience. Cheaper than driving from one station to another hunting a working one down.

Yeah same here! In Raheen, Statoil dont leave their one out! Texaco's is always broken, although one time Maxol's air machine was broken! You think having people pay for it, would eliminate this problem!

I always nearly use Chawkes one, its free and its the same machine they have in Maxol

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Just wanted to add that O'Neills shop at top of william street has really nice friendily staff and serice is very good.Buy my lunch in their most days. Lovely wraps.

Also Glessons Spar On henry street is very good too. Staff are always very friendily and the service very good.

Was in Bamboo Thai restaurant on O'connell street last weekend. I didn't like my main course and asked to change it and they were very nice about it and didn't charge me any extra to change. Very good customer service.Will be back

I love copper and spice in the cornmarket but one saturday night decided to try the one in Annacotty. We got there around 8:45. Didn't order a starter just a main course at 9:00PM. dinner arrived at 10:00pm. I was weak with the hunger. When paying for our meal they asked us how was our meal and we told them it was nice but that we had to wait an hour for it. All we got was a sorry. It just not good enough. Will never go there again.

One other bad experience I had was with ALL Tan and beauty on top of william street. Got a voucher as a gift for there and forgot all about it. When i found it it was out of date. Brought it in and asked if I could use any of it. Think voucher was for 50euro. The girl on reception laughed at me and said no way. I WILL NEVER GO INTO THAT PLACE AGAIN. Her rudeness lost them a customer. I go to the mill hair studio just up the road from them now and they are always friendily and polite

The moviedrome dvd rental store and internet cafe on henry street is excellent. Paul the owner must have a PHd in customer service because he treats all this customers brillantly. Wouldn't go anywhere else

I have always found Dolans staff to be great and really enjoy going there for that reason. I hope during these tough times for businesses that the ones that treat their customers well will survive and those that don't , I have no sympathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Brulees on Henry St are doing a great 4 course early bird for €30 up to 7.30 at weekends. Staff are friendly & are no different to when you are paying full price! Food great as well.

Glen Tavern - good pub despite the grumpy bar man! Well priced pints & a dart board that is usually free

Myles Breens - good value pints & a nice atmosphere.

Goosers Bar - Ballina. Great lunches - hug portions for a very reasonable price

Well priced pints & a dart board that is usually free
    I never had to pay for the use of a dart board!:D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

msmuffins wrote: »
    The moviedrome dvd rental store and internet cafe on henry street is excellent. Paul the owner must have a PHd in customer service because he treats all this customers brillantly. Wouldn't go anywhere else

Yeah, I always get a big hello from him and because of this I've become a customer!

I think the clubs in town have been ripping us off for years, as have the restaurants and bars. In the downturn it'll be the survival of the fittest and that'll be those who provide us with value. Interesting to see that the expensive hotels in Limerick are also failing. The Castletroy Park is expected to close down today and the Marriotts future is in serious doubt.

Time to lower your prices and attract customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

zuroph wrote: »
    Leave Ruth alone. she's awesome customer service if you're nice to her, she'll be nice back.

+1, best breakfast in munster. excellent service and food.

Getting a haircut is also minefield. It can vary from one day to the next and one barbers/hairdressers prices can be hugely different to the next:confused:

zuroph wrote: »

I've never been anything but nice, doesn't change the fact that she is overbearing, obnoxious & loud. She listens in on conversations & continuously interrups people who are trying to have a quiet discussion and relax on their lunch break. I've seen her belittle a poor girl in front of a full house for questioning the amount she charged (and she had in fact overcharged). This is just one occassion that springs to mind.

I actually really like the food there and used to go regularly but I stopped because of her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

gerardk55 wrote: »
    +1, best breakfast in munster. excellent service and food.

Yep it is definetly one of the best eateries in town. Wish they stayed open later. Think they close at 4 pm and 3 pm on a saturday

Advertisement