Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Supermarket???

Options
  • 28-01-2009 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering which supermarket is the cheapest??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Depends what your buying really, what brands and offers are on, generally speaking if your not bothered about brand names then Aldi and Lidl are best place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Latest NCA survey says; none of them.

Depends what you're classing as a supermarket - if you want to know which of the multiples (Dunnes, Tesco, Superquinn, SuperValu) is cheapest, there's very little difference between them. Lidl and Aldi (the discounters) are cheaper than the multiples - and there's very little difference in price between them. The symbol groups (centra, spar, eurospar, londis etc etc) are the most expensive... but there's very little difference in price between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it depends on each indivivdual's circumstances, and especially how much of a trade-off of quality against price you want to make
    aldi & lidl are going to be on average cheaper thant the big 5, but alot of their products are not up to scratch
    depending on the specific product, or whether there's an offer on, even superquinn and m&S who are perceived as being expensive, can be cheaper than dunnes/tescos

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Different supermarkets are cheaper on different goods. You dont shop in the one place. Yeah Aldi and Lidl are the cheapest but you cant buy everything there. Their range is low. You can get toilet paper and some nice fruit and veg. Than superquinn would have a great freshfood, whether it be meat, fish or the bakery! Dunnes and Tesco would be the best (I think) for cosmetics, beer deals etc.

You want the best deal you have to do your weekly shopping in 2-3 supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They all differ. I buy milk & eggs in tesco. Fish & fruit in lidl, chickens in dunnes, chicken fillets in the butchers, bars in €2 shops. I also tend to just buy what is on offer, I never have a list, might go in the odd time with 1 thing in mind, but if I see a better offer I take it.

Certain things in M&S are very good value, dunnes & tesco have different ranges, cheapo, normal, quality, but all M&S is pretty good yet can be cheaper than dunnes/tesco premium stuff.

supervalu and eurospar often have very good offers.

I even buy some food online (whey).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

rubadub wrote: »
    I even buy some food online (whey).

Just out of curiosity, do you mean Tesco online or do you buy elsewhere ?. Where and what ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dh0661 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, do you mean Tesco online or do you buy elsewhere ?. Where and what ?.
    No, just whey protein powders, for athletes, resistance/weight training etc. Aldi started selling it, so do argos, and other supermarkets sell similar stuff like complan or casein 90.

You see all these shakes for dieting now too, celebrity slim, liptrim, slimfast etc, you can make your own up for a fraction of the cost, some sell in bigger tubs so save on packaging. e.g. This is an Irish product and meant to be good
    http://www.nutritionx.ie/products/slender-pro/

I have looked at getting chocolates & sweets online, and beef jerky is cheap too. It is really only worthwhile getting odd hard to get stuff, which doesn't weigh a lot, so post is not too high. Spices, vanilla pods etc can be got cheaper online.

That is another I did not mention, asian shops are all over the place and have top quality stuff at a fraction of supermarket prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

it depends on each indivivdual's circumstances, and especially how much of a trade-off of quality against price you want to make
    aldi & lidl are going to be on average cheaper thant the big 5, but alot of their products are not up to scratch
    depending on the specific product, or whether there's an offer on, even superquinn and m&S who are perceived as being expensive, can be cheaper than dunnes/tescos

I watched a documentary on BBC on Tuesday where they compared Tesco/ ASDA/Sainsburys et al to Aldi / Lidl. The results would tend to disagree with your assertion that the discounters products are substandard, quite the opposite in fact. The only real gripe was the lack of choice but that was made up for by a 30%-50% price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

From my experience Tesco is the dearest and Dunnes/Aldi are the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

phishcakes wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering which supermarket is the cheapest??

Asda, mate.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

Take the drive up across the boarder, you will find that you can probably double your shopping for the same price in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

JP Liz wrote: »
    From my experience Tesco is the dearest and Dunnes/Aldi are the cheapest

IMO its the opposite, tesco are cheaper than dunnes, and Aldi/Lidl while they are cheap on certain items, i cannot do my whole weeks shopping there, and end up going to tesco for a top up, and the savings are not that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I bought a pack of carrots and a pack of apples in Lidl last week, yes they were cheap, cheaper than my local greengrocers anyway.

The apples were yuck - tasteless.
    The carrots were slimy when I went to cook them the following day.

I'm back to the veg. shop tomorrow, I'll probably pay a few cent more for my stuff there, but at least we will be able to eat it and that's real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Dunnes: Good for a few special offers like Coke @ 99c this week, but expensive for frozen food
    Tesco: Pretty much the same as, but somehow I do most of my shopping there... think it's a combo of a great off licence and the self-scan tills.
    Lidl: I'd buy sauces, milk, cheese etc the basics really, best place for them.
    Aldi: Curly Fries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Dunnes: Good for a few special offers like Coke @ 99c this week, but expensive for frozen food
    Tesco: Pretty much the same as, but somehow I do most of my shopping there... think it's a combo of a great off licence and the self-scan tills.
    Lidl: I'd buy sauces, milk, cheese etc the basics really, best place for them.
    Aldi: Curly Fries ;)

Yes i don,t know whats in those curly fries but my kids love them, also my partner and i love the pizza,s the specially selected one,s in the black and silver boxes (actually made in Italy) are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I like SuperValu myself. Good specials and staff are very nice in all the stores.

Advertisement