Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nitelinks - they end at 3am now grrrrrrr

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

anyone else gonna find it hard to get down from harcourt st to westmoreland st by 3am when places like D2 and coppers kick you out at 2:45-3?
    and how do you fit in the trip to the chipper?

I cant afford 30 quid on a taxi every night out this is mental :mad::mad:

and i aint leavin early and gettin my buzz wrecked :mad::mad:

I've emailed Dublin bus and email complaint suprisingly no reply in 48 hours

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

There was a thread on this a little while ago: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055464330

You might also want to check out the Commuting & Transport forum: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

OP ~ the only option is to either share a taxi with a few others which works out little more that a night bus home or have a designated driver that stays sober and yourself and your mates pay for his/her non alcoholic drinks all night and shout him some food on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=841

Buses run until 04:00 on most routes, so only the 04:30 services (on major routes) have been scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=841

Buses run until 04:00 on most routes, so only the 04:30 services (on major routes) have been scrapped.

Good to hear. Don't like the idea of a 3am nitelink finish. Pity about the Monday-Thursday service though. Surely Wednesday and Thursday nights would be busy enough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dSTAR wrote: »
    OP ~ the only option is to either share a taxi with a few others which works out little more that a night bus home or have a designated driver that stays sober and yourself and your mates pay for his/her non alcoholic drinks all night and shout him some food on the way home.

or leave a bit earlier

kearnsr wrote: »
    or leave a bit earlier
    Whats funny is that many people when nearing the end of the night feel the need to sink as many pints as possible then do the obligatory round of jager bombs or shots at last call. Then they lurch off to the nearest fast food outlet, order half the stuff on the menu, not even finish a quarter of it and proceed to puke their guts up all over the street.

The total cost of an extra hour in the bar/club, factoring in food on the way home and what have you is probably a lot more than the cost of a taxi. I don't get it. Pissing up a hundred or two euros on a night on the town is acceptable but spending $30 to get you home safely and comfortably is a waste of money? I am not saying this is you OP but it has been my experience with many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

dSTAR wrote: »
    Whats funny is that many people when nearing the end of the night feel the need to sink as many pints as possible then do the obligatory round of jager bombs or shots at last call. Then they lurch off to the nearest fast food outlet, order half the stuff on the menu, not even finish a quarter of it and proceed to puke their guts up all over the street.

The total cost of an extra hour in the bar/club, factoring in food on the way home and what have you is probably a lot more than the cost of a taxi. I don't get it. Pissing up a hundred or two euros on a night on the town is acceptable but spending $30 to get you home safely and comfortably is a waste of money? I am not saying this is you OP but it has been my experience with many others.

I object to paying the rip off price of a taxi. I would rather spend it on jaegarmeister and fast food if it comes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I object to paying the rip off price of a taxi. I would rather spend it on jaegarmeister and fast food if it comes to it.

Pathetic, sums up whats wrong with Irish culture.
    Thank god the likes of you dont litter nightclubs I frequent, stay in coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

And just to stay on topic, its a bloody joke that they're curtailing the services, we already have an arcane licencing system which spills everyone onto the streets at the same time, now everyone is going to be fighting for the last nightlink aswell.

We claim to be oh-so european but in reality we couldnt be further from.

Allow clubs to close when (and if) they want and increase public transport services to 24 hours.

More jobs, more revenue for the exchequer, more tourism, more sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I got a 25N on Saturday night at 3:30. They run until 4am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ally Dick wrote: »

You'd rather get ripped off by a rich publican then?.

Doesn't make much sense tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mairt wrote: »

It does when you're pissed!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

I'm more upset that they have cut the monday to Thursday service. Not out that nuch during the week but it's a pain not being able to get home any other way than a taxi when you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

ye the monday to thursday cutoff is a joke.what if you were at a gig or something.now you have to cough up for a taxi.a capital city with no late transport services.complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

AB03 wrote: »

We claim to be oh-so european but in reality we couldnt be further from.

So true. Even day-time bus services are a joke. Even minor European cities would have decent night-time public transport services. We can't even manage it in the capital city. It's embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Isn't it a case that the weeknight Nitelinks were losing money? It's not Dublin Bus' job to get people home cheaper than a taxi if they, as a business, are making a loss on it. It's not a public service to get people who have been drinking all night home on the cheap (though I do sympathise with the workers who are going to have to find alternative transport). I think there will be a lot more people staying at home and going to the local on weeknights.

Needless to say there isn't a Nitelink within a 40 minute walk of where I live so am used to taxis this long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mairt wrote: »

Atleast the publican doesnt sit there telling you how the the blacks are taking everyones job, and how there's too many taxis on the road its now impossible to make a leaving etc etc.

Atleast the publican doesnt sit there telling you how the the blacks are taking everyones job ... etc etc.
    Pish posh! That's because they are more than happy to leave the sh!te talk to the punters whom they don't have a problem serving booze to all night as long as they are happy to blow their cash getting pissed.

A couple of weekends ago we had a Melbourne Beers in The Irish Times in the CBD. I literally only had a couple of drinks and went to order another drink. The bartender refused me. Rather than kick up a stink I went back to the group and told them with an unsurprised look on my face. They knew I had just had dental work done the previous day and a had a plate suck in my mouth so it probably sounded like ...

Can I have a posh of drash pleash maish!
    Translation - 'Can I have a pot of draught please mate!'

The group laughed and one of them went up to get a drink for me. The point is that I don't think I have EVER been refused a drink in a bar or club in Ireland unless the bar was closed. I am probably at an age where I don't feel the need to get absolutely wasted and have to be poured into a cab. I am happy to call it a night at 11pm and get the jump on the drunken morons. To paint pub and club owners as being holier than thou is a bit much. Just like taxi drivers they are in it purely for the money not because they feel they are providing an essential community service.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Not everybody who gets a nightlink has been in the pub. There's people working 24 hours who don't have cars, what are they supposed to do? Bloody backwards country!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Oh you poor thing,you want to stay till the death in the pub buying as much drink as you can having your 'buzz' till your kicked out mouldy drunk,but your too mean to fork the extra few bob for a taxi,my heart bleeds for you!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Not everybody who gets a nightlink has been in the pub. There's people working 24 hours who don't have cars, what are they supposed to do? Bloody backwards country!!!

Agreed!

the 4am time limit doesnt bother me that much, but the scrapping of the mid-week service, load of cock

We have a total of 24 Nitelink routes, departing from College Street, Westmoreland Street or D’Olier Street. From Monday 2nd February there is no Monday to Thursday nitelink service, all routes will operate a revised Friday and Saturday service
    There is no regular Nitelink Sunday service. Usually a Nitelink Sunday service operates before a Bank Holiday Monday. On these Sundays a Nitelink service operates on Routes 7n, 31n, 39n, 40n, 41n, 42n, 46n, 48n, 49n, 51n, 67n, 70n, 77n, with nitelinks departing at 00:30hrs and 02:00hrs.

i regulary get the 7n, often midweek, (shift worker) and this is just piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=39n

4am for more civillised parts of town :)

39N runs until 4am :) Taking the Nitelink without
    a- a mate, or
    b- some birds getting on you can waffle to

is always a bad idea. If I have nobody to talk to I will always nod off and wake up in Tyrellstown (sort of the middle of nowhere frontier of Blanch) at journeys end :(

Not that I care, Im going back to Australia, the land of no cover charges, the 2.70 euro pint, the 7 euro double vodka and the half price taxi. You can have a belter of a night out there and still have a few coins from a 50 euro note (if it were here). Fudge yis :)

shane86 wrote: »
    Not that I care, Im going back to Australia, the land of no cover charges, the 2.70 euro pint, the 7 euro double vodka and the half price taxi. You can have a belter of a night out there and still have a few coins from a 50 euro note (if it were here). Fudge yis :)
    Now that you mention it I had a pretty slam night last night in some late night bar Brunswick that stays open until 3am. I met some lady during the course of the night and bought her a couple drinks and went twos with her on a cab back to her place in North Fitzroy and ended up spending no more than 50 bucks.

You are probably asking yourself did I get lucky?

Answer
    Yes

Advertisement