Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most improved team this season?

• 28-01-2009 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Which team do you think has made the most improvement from last season?

I think Wigan have done very well so far, in the European places now, depends how they cope now after losing a couple of players and how the new ones will adapt.

Aston Villa and Fulham deserve a mention too I think.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

it's gotta be villa for me.
    But a good call with Fulham too, I've always liked them though. Wigan look good but it will be interesting to see what effect all the transfer activity will have on there progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think most villa fans will admit that football wise, we've disimproved quite a bit this season

we're in the results business tho, so the silky football can wait til next season if we manage to finish top 4 this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1. Fulham
    2. Wigan
    3. Villa

There aren't many, if any, other contenders (though I await the influx of Liverpool fans).

Xavi6 wrote: »
    (though I await the influx of Liverpool fans).

is this becoming a pre-requisite? to post this ****e at the end of every comment anyone makes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

mayordenis wrote: »
    is this becoming a pre-requisite? to post this ****e at the end of every comment anyone makes?

Truth hurts?

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    Truth hurts?

Sometimes. But I fail to see how this has any relation to this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

maybe Wigan or Fulham if they can replace Bullard but its hard to pick a team not currently in the top six because so few points actually seperate lower positions atm usually league standing means a lot more at this time of the season

mayordenis wrote: »

Unfortunately yes, given how these threads always pan out. God forbid anyone say something negative about Liverpool, Rafa or any of the players. See the 'flop' thread for just the latest example.

It's a real pain in the hole though, I try at least to post constructive comments but then every so often (and I'm not accusing you of trolling, just being a prick :pac:) there's just little swipes for the benefit of everyone who doesn't support liverpool, it would be great for the forum if this stopped.

anyway LIVERPOOL ARE THE MOST BEST IMPROVED TEAM IN UR FACE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Fulham started improving when Roy Hodgson took over last season, and I think they've pretty much continued along the same lines. He's done really well there, though I think Jimmy Bullard will be a big loss.
    Aston Villa are living up to the promise they showed last season, which I'm happy about. They're a great team to watch.

Wigan are the surprise package though (along with Hull, though they haven't been great recently). I think they've improved and really taken advantage of Spurs, Man City, Newcastle etc. underachieving. They've come on a lot since last season, so I would go with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

1 Liverpool
    2 Villa
    3 Wigan

Lads the league table does not lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Wigan for me.

a bit of bite and dare i say a bit of flair about them this season.

bruce has done a wonderful job moulding the south american players and has already made a huge profit on one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

1. Fulham
    2. Wigan
    3. Villa

There aren't many, if any, other contenders (though I await the influx of Liverpool fans).

I still don't understand how you have been made a mod of this forum...

For me, it has to be Villa with honourable mentions to Fulham and Wigan.

Pour quoi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's got to be Villa. The jump from 6th to be there or there abouts the top at this stage is a lot more harder and impressive to do than go from relegation candidates to midtable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

1-Wigan
    2-Liverpool
    3-Fulham
    4-Villa

Wigan have been great this season.
    Old Fat head's doing a great job.

Anyone who dismisses Liverpool's an idiot, plain and simple.
    To hold the top spot for 7 weeks is so beyond simply an improvement on last season, it's not funny.

Fulham have so much belief this term.
    Great to see.

Villa have improved a bit, but Arsenal messing up has made their improvement look bigger than it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's got to be Villa. The jump from 6th to be there or there abouts the top at this stage is a lot more harder and impressive to do than go from relegation candidates to midtable
    Villa without doubt, 3 point from top of the table.

Pour quoi?

Can't be arsed to be honest.. Your posts on this thread regarding Liverpool and their fans sums it up nicely though..

To be fair Liverpool is a good shout to.

Weren't they a good bit out of the title race by this stage last year? Seem to remember them slipping to as far as 6th at one stage.

That's a good improvement, like it or not.

Weren't they a good bit out of the title race by this stage last year? Seem to remember them slipping to as far as 6th at one stage.

If they didn't draw 7 out of the last 9 matches and were 5 or 6 points ahead in the league as a result, then maybe.. As things stand, they should not be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

1.Wigan
    2.Liverpool (Usually out of title race by now not losing to small clubs like previous years/just cant beat them now:D)
    3.Fulham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wigan, Fulham and Villa for me

If they didn't draw 7 out of the last 9 matches and were 5 or 6 points ahead in the league as a result, then maybe.. As things stand, they should not be considered.

but then you would be looking at one, if not the best improvements in prem history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This is probably Villa - to be actually challenging for the Premiership with their squad is a great acheivement but in all fairness they have got luck on their side too.

And not to forget HULL

Warper wrote: »
    And not to forget HULL

I wouldnt say Hull.
    They had a great start but the results have fizzled out for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Frisbee wrote: »
    I wouldnt say Hull.
    They had a great start but the results have fizzled out for them

if pool can be considered so could Hull

Can't be arsed to be honest.. Your posts on this thread regarding Liverpool and their fans sums it up nicely though..

Covering myself before the inevitable happens is wrong? Ok then

kida wrote: »
    if pool can be considered so could Hull

I'm not considering Pool, so I wont be considering Hull :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Kevin Nash & Razor Ramon where known as what stable in WWF ?

Fulham have impressed me. going to be harder without Bullard now though
    Wigan too.. but they have lost heskey
    Liverpool have somewhat improved as in we arent losing but we still have a lot of the same problems as last season.

cant really say Hull as i didnt watch them at all last season. id imagine they would have improved somewhat tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

villa were 13 points off the top of the league this time last season, now we're 3, and level with the scouse. so if youre going on placings at the business end, we're head and shoulders ahead of liverpool in terms of improvement

i said in december we'd be ahead of liverpool by the second week in feb, and you know what, i think i might just be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Unfortunately yes, given how these threads always pan out. God forbid anyone say something negative about Liverpool, Rafa or any of the players. See the 'flop' thread for just the latest example.

People defending players they see as being harshly treated is bad somehow?

And you'll find most liverpool fans are generally very scathing of their own team, not defensive as you seem to imply. Much time is spent convincing Liverpool fans that we're not s***e.

Anyway sorry to derail things...

Most improved has to be Villa. 3rd place, level on points with 'Pool before tonight's fixtures, 3 points behind the Mancs. MON has turned them into a points-building machine.

Closely follwed by Wigan imo. So solid now. Nobody ever seems to have an easy game with them these days.

Helix wrote: »
    villa were 13 points off the top of the league this time last season, now we're 3, and level with the scouse. so if youre going on placings at the business end, we're head and shoulders ahead of liverpool in terms of improvement

i said in december we'd be ahead of liverpool by the second week in feb, and you know what, i think i might just be right

That's why my original post was all about Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

1 Villa
    2 Fulham
    3 Wigan
    Jazzy wrote: »
    Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Kevin Nash & Razor Ramon where known as what stable in WWF ?

:confused: wtf has that got to do with anything?

edit: ah, never mind, just got it :D

Covering myself before the inevitable happens is wrong? Ok then

Yeah, that's what you were doing...

but then you would be looking at one, if not the best improvements in prem history

The improvement so far over the course of this season was to be expected though. There is nothing surprising about Liverpool picking up a few more points by this stage in my opinion.

Villa on the other hand are level with Liverpool in second place when they really wouldn't have been expected to push for fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The two that stick out in my mind are Liverpool and Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

How anyone can even mention Liverpool is beyond me - they are obviously Liverpool fans - I mean they are still the same Liverpool as last year - drawing way too many games. There are 2 reasons why they are currently level on points with Aston Villa:

1. Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal are below par this year
    2. Steven Gerrard

If Liverpool lost Gerrard they wouldn't have a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the post you just mad is such complete & utter bollox. really moronic.

How anyone can even mention Liverpool is beyond me - they are obviously Liverpool fans

Wrong

Several Man Utd fans have said Liverpool, and even some Liverpool fans have disagreed with what I said(in an intelligent manner)

fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I would imagine if every other team in the Premier League outside of the 'SKY four' had the same amount of money to spend as Villa have, Villa wouldn't be near the top current 4.

What some clubs have done with very little resources eclipses what Aston Villa have done with their free spending.

• Advertisement

Spurs? :D

How much have City spent since Summer 2007 as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

How anyone can even mention Liverpool is beyond me - they are obviously Liverpool fans - I mean they are still the same Liverpool as last year - drawing way too many games. There are 2 reasons why they are currently level on points with Aston Villa:

2. Steven Gerrard

If Liverpool lost Gerrard they wouldn't have a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

wow......just......just, wow :rolleyes:

How much have City spent since Summer 2007 as well?
    Heres a rough guide from teams that started on weekend of 16th/17th.
    : Premier League prices
    : Cost (in £) of Premier League starting XI's on the
    : weekend of 17-18 January 2009, with their points
    : accumulated and league position
    :
    : 1. Hull City: 5.3m, Points: 27, (9)
    : 2. West Bromwich Albion: 11m, Points: 21, (20)
    : 3. Stoke City: 12.5m, Points: 21, (19)
    : 4. Wigan Athletic: 15.75m, Points: 31, (7)
    : 5. Bolton Wanderers: 19.1m, Points: 23, (13)
    : 6. Blackburn Rovers: 19.1m, Points: 21, (17)
    : 7. Middlesbrough: 23.6m, Points: 21, (18)
    : 8. West Ham United: 25m, Points: 29, (8)
    : 9. Sunderland: 25.7m, Points: 23, (15)
    : 10. Everton: 27m, Points: 36, (6)
    : 11. Fulham: 29.8m, Points: 26, (10)
    : 12. Arsenal: 34m, Points: 41, (5)
    : 13. Portsmouth: 36.6m, Points: 24, (12)
    : 14. Newcastle United: 42.05m, Points: 23, (14)
    : 15. Aston Villa: 63.5m, Points: 44, (4)
    : 16. Manchester City: 77.5m, Points: 25, (11)
    : 17. Tottenham Hotspur: 83.9m, Points: 21, (16)
    : 18. Manchester United: 88.05m, Points: 47, (1)
    : 19. Liverpool: 89.3m, Points: 47, (2)
    : 20. Chelsea: 111.5m, Points: 45, (3)

Cool, where did you get that from Bluetonic?

Also, I noticed that one of the lads of the Arsenal squad regularly posts the table at this stage of previous season, anyone know where ge gets those?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

2. Steven Gerrard

Jesus you are on some form today.

But your post is a load of absolute tosh.

Liverpool are more improved than Villa this year. +8 points on this time last year as opposed to Villa's +5 points at this stage of the season.

The most improved teams in the league are Wigan and Fulham who have +11 points on this stage of last season.

It's there in black and white for anyone who will bother their hole to do some actual research before, y'know, posting absolute nonsense that we have to waste our time reading.

Cool, where did you get that from Bluetonic?

Also, I noticed that one of the lads of the Arsenal squad regularly posts the table at this stage of previous season, anyone know where ge gets those?
    It was on another forum I frequent. It wasn't linked but I'll try and find out the original source, looks like something which someone does each week.

Ah ok, thought is was available on some site somwhere :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Guys, www.statto.com can give you historical tables at any point in the season.

Very handy for making people look like idiots from time to time. Use wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

It says it all that Liverpool fans think they have improved.

Deluded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement