Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robinho arrested, released without charge

• 28-01-2009 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hasnt made the BBC website yet, but the news channel are reporting it re that incident in a Leeds nightclub. Running off to Brazil wont have done him any favours with the police.

Christ the Arabs must be thinking it cant get any worse. Just wait until Stephen Ireland gets nabbed at Cork airport on a treason charge.

*gets coat*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Finally some good news for Newcastle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

posted about the nightclub thing last week on another board

looked hugely fishy at the time

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

footballers have to stop going to nightclubs.
    I'm sure there very little to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah ffs talk about a sensational headline. The Sun called.

He wasn't 'arrested'.

:rolleyes:

http://www.robinhoofficial.com/en/latest_news.asp?AjrDcmntId=5977
    Robinho denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to cooperate with the police.

Robinhos spokesman , Chris Nathaniel, says:

" We can confirm that Robinho met the police today, as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation"

"He strenuosly denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to cooperate with the police if required further."

Now do you wanna change the thread title or will I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Helix wrote: »

I had read about it there, and then someone mentioned something here about a Leeds nightclub incident.

I forgot about it all, somehow.

Still though, it is only going from bad to worse for the investors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

But Xavi, that's boring!.

Now, let's start speculating what he did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah ffs talk about a sensational headline. The Sun called.

He wasn't 'arrested'.

:rolleyes:

http://www.robinhoofficial.com/en/latest_news.asp?AjrDcmntId=5977

Where does it say he wasn't arrested?

I dont think I can edit.

A rather biased slant you are taking aside from all that :pac: Though sky have in the last few changed their wording from arrested to "questioned".

If Hughes didnt fill in the owners about this situation, which, given the tabloids knew about it last week but wouldnt name names, he clearly knew about, it could be the final nail in the coffin.

Which I would be mighty pleased about tbh.

shane86 wrote: »
    I dont think I can edit.

Ok I'll do it.
    A rather biased slant you are taking aside from all that :pac: Though sky have in the last few changed their wording from arrested to "questioned".

Well what other opinion could I have when there's actually nothing to the story?

And of course Sky have changed their wording. They hooked people like yourself in and now they're retracting before they get in trouble.
    If Hughes didnt fill in the owners about this situation, which, given the tabloids knew about it last week but wouldnt name names, he clearly knew about, it could be the final nail in the coffin.

Which I would be mighty pleased about tbh.

We all knew about it last week. It was Jo and Robinho in the nightclub. Nobody needed to officially name names - it was already common knowledge.

I don't see how this can be turned into a dig at Hughes of all people.

Well what other opinion could I have when there's actually nothing to the story?

And of course Sky have changed their wording. They hooked people like yourself in and now they're retracting before they get in trouble.

Well, it was actually the BBC I first saw the "arrest" report on.

Anyway, relax, its EPL ffs. As for "nothing to the story", yes, there probably isnt, but it is still a bit biased to immediately assume so.

We all knew about it last week. It was Jo and Robinho in the nightclub. Nobody needed to officially name names - it was already common knowledge.

It was common rumour. Which would have been deleted here by mods in minutes of being posted, with good reason.

I don't see how this can be turned into a dig at Hughes of all people.

He is on thin ice. If he didnt inform his bosses of it it could be the last straw.

Which, given the way S Ireland was more receptive to Trap under Sven and the following rumours about Hughes involvement in his change of attitude, I couldnt be happier.

• Advertisement

From the BBC
    Premiership football star Robinho has been arrested by police investigating an allegation of sexual assault.

The Manchester City forward met with police as part of a "criminal investigation", following the alleged attack at a nightclub in Leeds.

Robinho's spokesman, Chris Nathaniel, said the player "strenuously denied any allegation of wrongdoing".

West Yorkshire Police confirmed a man was arrested on Tuesday in connection with an alleged incident on 14 January.

Mr Nathaniel said Brazilian international Robinho met with police, as pre-arranged, as part of the criminal investigation and later released on bail.

"He strenuously denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to co-operate with the police if further required," he said.

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, joined Manchester City from Real Madrid in September for £32.5 million, making him Britain's most expensive player.

There we go. As confirmed by the police, so it appears.

Maybe the thread title should be reverted to the original pending an apology/lawsuit from/against the BBC?

but it is still a bit biased to immediately assume so.

It's biased to give someone the benefit of the doubt? I certainly wasn't biased when I said it was bollox about RVP and Ronaldo.
    It was common rumour. Which would have been deleted here by mods in minutes of being posted, with good reason.

It wasn't a 'rumour'. Jo and Robinho WERE in a nightclub where a sexual assault took place. It was a fact that was never denied.
    He is on thin ice. If he didnt inform his bosses of it it could be the last straw.

Who says he's on thin ice? You must have a direct line to the owners.
    Which, given the way S Ireland was more receptive to Trap under Sven and the following rumours about Hughes involvement in his change of attitude, I couldnt be happier.

Lol where's the tinfoil hat?

So Hughes has gotten into Stevie's head and told him not to play for Ireland now? Unbelievable, and again, unsubstantiated.

It wasn't a 'rumour'. Jo and Robinho WERE in a nightclub where a sexual assault took place. It was a fact that was never denied.

How in the name of jaysus do you know a crime certainly took place? :confused:

No offence intended to you or anyone else but taking personal issue with matters involving players or fans at English football clubs is ridicilous. And to show no bias I include any Irish Liverpool fans born in the 80s who take Hillsborough on a ridicilously personal level, as I have seen on this board.

And given the results from August to now I think it is pretty much a fact that any manager with Hughes points tally and fan unpopularity would be on thin ice.

There we go. As confirmed by the police, so it appears.

Maybe the thread title should be reverted to the original pending an apology/lawsuit from/against the BBC?

What?! Are the BBC the 5-0 now?!

The article says 'a man' was arrested. Doesn't name Robinho. If it was him that was arrested then why not just say it?

The only comments are from Robinho's people saying he spoke to them voluntarily.

How in the name of jaysus do you know a crime certainly took place? :confused:

My apologies - 'alleged' crime

What?! Are the BBC the 5-0 now?!

The article says 'a man' was arrested. Doesn't name Robinho. If it was him that was arrested then why not just say it?

The only comments are from Robinho's people saying he spoke to them voluntarily.

The article says Robhino has been arrested.

EDIT: Sorry I get the 5-0 reference now.

homah_7ft wrote: »
    The article says Robhino has been arrested.

The only quotes in the piece say he wasn't arrested. Any oul journalist can write the first line of that article. Doesn't make it correct.

Who is reporting he wasn't arrested?

Who is reporting he wasn't arrested?

Robinho's spokesperson who says the metting wss 'prearranged'. That's a hell of a lot different to being arrested.

• Advertisement

Robinho's spokesperson who says the metting wss 'prearranged'. That's a hell of a lot different to being arrested.

That doesn't mean he wasn't arrested. The police will often arrest someone under just those circumstances.

In some ways it's a protection for him.

Given that he went Awol to Brazil while the police were waiting for him to show up to a pre arranged qustioning, is it beyond the realm of possibility that the police didnt take kindly to it and during that time requested a judge issue an arrest warrant so they could release him on police bail and, AFAIK, confiscate his passport?

Blind faith in people you only know off the tv, I dunno.:confused: He was arrested. Fact. As stated by the police in all but name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi it also says he was released on bail. Surely that wouldn't happen if it was only a meeting?

BBC article:
    Mr Nathaniel said Brazilian international Robinho met with police, as pre-arranged, as part of the criminal investigation and later released on bail.

Xavi it also says he was released on bail. Surely that wouldn't happen if it was only a meeting?

BBC article:

No quote or comment confirms that though. That's all I'm saying. That bit is paraphrased and could easily be twisted.

Put it this way - if it was The Sun saying he was arrested without providing comment from anyone to do with that arrest would you believe it?

If he did something then fair enough but innocent until proven guilty is certainly not 'blind faith' as Shane calls it. It's common sense.

Xavi I certainly support your vigilent stance regarding the issue of innocence but I feel the thread title needs to reflect the facts that have been reported. Who exactly is asserting that he hasn't been arrested?

Xavi I certainly support your vigilent stance regarding the issue of innocence but I feel the thread title needs to reflect the facts that have been reported. Who exactly is asserting that he hasn't been arrested?

I'll post it again -
    "We can confirm that Robinho met the police today, as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation"

Since when have arrests been pre-arranged?

You can post it as many times as you like, it still doesn't say or imply he wasn't arrested.
    Robinho, the Manchester City footballer, was arrested by police in relation to allegations that an 18-year-old woman was raped in a nightclub.

The 25-year-old Brazilian forward, who is Britain’s most expensive player, was quizzed after a university student told police she had been attacked in the VIP area of the Space club in Leeds in the early hours of January 14.

Chris Nathaniel, Robinho’s spokesman, confirmed that the footballer met the police yesterday “as pre-arranged as part of a criminal investigation”.

Mr Nathaniel told The Sun: “He strenuously denies any allegation of wrong-doing or criminality and is happy to co-operate with the police if required further.” ........
    From The Times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Since when have arrests been pre-arranged?

Quite some time actually.

Fair enough. Throw away the key so.

• Advertisement

That's not what any of us are saying. It's a good thing you were vigorous in ensuring the thread was warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I was only saying that in general terms that it is possible to have a pre arrangement with the police. Wasn't saying that it was the case in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's interesting how often local slappers try to say famous football players raped em, even though said football players could have absolutely anyone they want with absolutely no effort. I'm just sayin is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You seem a bit sensitive. Being arrested is not the same as being guilty. nobody is suggesting that here I think :confused:
    Robinho 'arrested' (depending on who you believe)

If he wasn't arrested he should start suing all the print media I think. He is more than likely not guilty as in most of these cases but not arrested :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1130108/Premiership-star-Robinho-arrested-nightclub-rape-claim.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/4366235/Robinho-arrested-over-rape-in-nightclub-claims.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/28/robinho-manchester-city-allegations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I've been to Leeds a good few times, nothing exciting ever happens to me, tis quite the shít hole TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mayordenis wrote: »
    footballers have to stop going to nightclubs.

Surely they could just buy their own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Clicked onto Goal.com today to see the big tabloidy headline as usual. That site has really become report anything even if the source is some fella in a forum posting.

I seriously doubt this is as bad as it seems. As Xavi is saying its like the RVP, Ronaldo thing all over again.

All i hope now is that Robinho plays tonight because im relying on him to run riot against Newcastle. Fantasy Football is important ya know :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Helix wrote: »

I put up something in the city gossip thread over a week ago about this. I didn't name Robinho, just said a city player. Went back and edited the whole post later as I didn't think there was much in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

players should never go to clubs

there just asking for trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

1286 news stories say he was arrested
    I think it's safe to say he was arrested at this stage...

Club statement -
    Following press speculation, and statements from the player’s representative and West Yorkshire police, Manchester City Football Club make the following statement.

The Club have been liaising with and assisting both the player in question and the authorities in relation to the West Yorkshire Police investigation. Both parties have been given the full support of the football club. No charges of any nature have been brought against the player and no further statement will be made whilst the investigation is continuing.

And he certainly isn't playing like a guilty man tonight!

• Advertisement

ROBINHO WAS ARRESTED.

He may not have been cuffed, but he was arrested, as in he couldnt walk out of the interview when he liked, and his passport was most likely has been taken off him pendig further inquiries.

Why in the name of jaysus is the thread title half implying otherwise? As said before, getting overly personal about English clubs, or the alledged behaviour of their English fans or English/foreign players (and again, to show no bias, I include Hillsborough and Michael Shields in that) is about as sensible as the folks who without a clue to the facts turned out with banners at Michael Jacksons trial.

And he certainly isn't playing like a guilty man tonight!

Who said he was guilty? :confused: It is not a fact that he commited a crime. It is, however, a fact he was been placed under arrest on suspicion of commiting a crime. Jesus, if he was sent down for 15 years it seems like you would claim he is merely on remand pending appeal :confused:

Again, it is only a Brazillian player in a foreign league. Jesus like!

I'll edit the title so if it means that much. What would you like it to be?

Can images be put into titles?

An Arab guy doing a almighty "facepalm" will suffice :pac:

Advertisement