Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the manager of your club left tomorrow, who would you like to replace him?

• 28-01-2009 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

MON is a name mentioned quite alot when talking about a replacement for Fergie. But I think him, along with David Moyes would do a very good job. I really rate Moyes as a manager and he has done very well in the transfer market too.

Between the two, I think I'd like Moyes.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Wenger. obviously wouldn't happen in a month of sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

If MON left Villa, I'd replace him with Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id like to see me getting the villa job after mon tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Helix wrote: »
    id like to see me getting the villa job after mon tbh

You'd be great. Mr. Alan as your assistant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

To replace Fergie I'd probably have to go with Mourinho even though I can't stand the man I still think he'd be the best for the club.

He has already experienced what it's like to be at a big club and win PL's and CL's. He's done it all. And he commanded huge respect from his players.

The only problem I'd have with him apart from not really liking him as a person would be his defensive syle of play, that's not the United way and I doubt he'd be able to change his style.

Actually, that's a big negative now that I think about it. Maybe MON is the man after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Yeah, I'd go MON for United as well. I wouldn't mind Mourinho, but as deisedevil said, he can be a bit too defensive at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I honestly dont think any manager is as suited to the Villa job as MON is now so if he had to be replaced itd be very hard, maybe David Moyes or if a bit down the line and Villa's improvement continues maybe a continental name like Deschamp but atm I wouldent swap MON for anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Special One.

Jose Mourinho please come back to the Premier League. We need you.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

MON, Special1, Fergie and Moyes are all quality, But if ur not one of the big 4 and are willing to take a chance then Roberto di Matteo from MK Dons is a class act although unproven at the highest level. One to watch I,d say. Very tricky to find the right manager best suited to a particular club. E.g. As mentioned above MON is proper suited to Villa, Where as Ince was not for Blackburn etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Jose all the way or Hiddink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd go for Mourinho to replace Fergie (as, apparently, Fergie has). While i don't like the defensive bias to his game, he is the same type of manager as Fergie imo. Builds a seige mentality around the club, commands the respect of all the players, gets involved in every aspect of the club, which is important with the youth setup, and is great a boosting the confidence of the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Hiddink. Will never happen as Rafa's going nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd like to see MON take over from Fergie but with him doing so well at Villa I wonder if his head could be turned.

After that unlike some United fans here I'd hate to see Mourinho at Old Trafford. I guess rivalries don't hold with some people today and that's fine but it would be like us having Terry, Gerrard or Henry playing for us. It'd just rub me up the wrong way. Then there's the whole negativity of his tactics and his big mouth. :shudder:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I'd love Rafa to take over at Villa if MON left, so he could see what it's like to be a big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If Wenger left, we'd be royally fúcked! I'm gonna go with Pep Guardiola, not very much experience, but he has Barcelona playing the football of their lives and wouldn't drastically change our style of play...no chance of getting him though!

Hiddink or Mourinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Carlos Querioz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mourinho

Only manager today I'd be confident and assured wouldn't screw up the work Ferguson has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

jasonorr wrote: »
    If Wenger left, we'd be royally fúcked! I'm gonna go with Pep Guardiola, not very much experience, but he has Barcelona playing the football of their lives and wouldn't drastically change our style of play...no chance of getting him though!
    Gotta give it to you there, Guardiola is the new big name now. Wonderful job he's done with Barca, funnily he put the bite/bitterness/steel into that team that they were missing under Rijkaard, and the funny thing is thats what made Rijkaard extra special as a footballer himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wenger is irreplaceable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eagle eye wrote: »
    and the funny thing is thats what made Rijkaard extra special as a footballer himself.

what comes naturally to a person is often the most difficult thing to relay to others.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Wenger is irreplaceable

as much as i admire the man, no he's not.

haven't really a notion who could come in and do better though. but for some reason Didier Deschamps comes to mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Fergie left, I'd want Mourinho to take over once he commits to expansive football :) He is the only manager who has that special arrogance that Fergie has that makes him a winner.

If we didn't get Mourinho, I'd like to promote from within and choose Carlos Querioz (even though he's no longer within)

If MON does manage to get into the top 4, I'd consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Liverpool - MON

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Everton - O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

PHB wrote: »
    If we didn't get Mourinho, I'd like to promote from within and choose Carlos Querioz (even though he's no longer within)

God no

He hasn't been impressive at all as a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

as much as i admire the man, no he's not.

Ok
    haven't really a notion who could come in and do better though. but for some reason Didier Deschamps comes to mind...

Then I'd describe that as irreplaceable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Brando_ie wrote: »
    Liverpool - MON

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

As an Everton fan it would be a disaster if Moyes left but in fantasy world i would pick Carlo Ancelloti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If Fergie retired I would love Hitzfeld to take over United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Manchester United

If Fergie left, its gotta be either Bruce, Wenger or Mourinho (in that order).

Bohemians

Anyone but Collins!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

31 posts in and no-one wasnt Pat Dolan? for shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I can't believe how many United fans would welcome Mourinho taking over at the theatre of dreams. Surely there are some Man Utd fans out there who despise the fecker as much as I do :pac: The guy's interviews make him a laughing stock and his tactics are worthy of George Graham at his finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sligo Rovers
    Probably Arsene Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

slaven bilic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I'd love Rafa to take over at Villa if MON left, so he could see what it's like to be a big club.

if rafa was a big club he'd have to increase his mass exponentially. i mean it would be horrible inside too. blood and guts everywhere, tacos on the pitch, tequila in the bladder. it'd be a mess.

if you are going to troll then dont make a big mess of it. you could end up looking pretty stupid

ugh, making me forget why i opened this thread in the first place.
    anyway.. i know this might sound bad and evil but if rafa was to leave pool then i wouldnt mind mourinho taking over. i know i know, but i think he could redeem himself with a big shiny premier league trophy :D

further edit - or slaven bilic cos hes a rockstar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Steve Staunton.

*sniggers*

Sorry, sorry, couldn't keep a straight face....

Anyway, I think Martin O'Neil would be brilliant. Mourinho of course deserves some recognition. Fergie is just brilliant, what he did for Aberdeen and Man Utd, no-one can possibly replicate that. I also think Phil Brown is underated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Luis Rodriguez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If Kinnear left, I think I would be overcome with joy to even contemplate who we should get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

mourinho is the only manager i would like to take over at united, end of story. the lad is a proven winner.

not a great choice for shels to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Fergie is just brilliant, what he did for Aberdeen and Man Utd, no-one can possibly replicate that.

That's a bold statement!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Charlie wrote: »
    If Kinnear left, I think I would be overcome with joy to even contemplate who we should get.

you wouldent want keegan to replace him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I think karma means David O Leary should get the Newcastle job next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    not a great choice for shels to be fair.

Pete Mahon
    Giller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

you wouldent want keegan to replace him?

Of course I would. Right now, we are about as attractive as a $2 hooker, to prospective managers. If someone was to come in, they would have to be doing so not because it's a 'job' but because they hold a strong affection for both the club and City. There are very fe around like that right now, but KK would be one of them.

To think back to what he had us playing at Old Trafford on the opening day, it really is depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll whisper this but Maureen for me. Or Martin Jol (seriously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Well if harry sorry 'Arry left i'd like to see klinsmann take over

Advertisement