Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gay head of state

Options
  • 28-01-2009 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Just in case you guys didn't know yet (couldn't see a thread on it), the new PM of Iceland is gay and out.

I think that makes her the first gay head of state.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

Typical. One of us gets landed with possibly the least desirable job on the face of the planet. Bigoted bastards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lol.
    Just in case you guys didn't know yet (couldn't see a thread on it), the new PM of Iceland is gay and out.

I think that makes her the first gay head of state.

That's cool. Maybe we'll have a gay US president sooner than 2084 after all. (to quote the Simpsons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

JohannaX390.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I always assumed it was gonna be us with Pres. Norris if anyone in Europe was gonna have one in my lifetime...

edit: she's head of government not head of state...

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Yeah i read about this earlier today, i think its grrreat.

• Advertisement

oh heres a nicer pic as well.

pmiceland.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Yeah, but it doesn't count because no-one cares about lesbians! The bigger breakthrough will be the first gay man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

....SUPER...

Now guys thats a challenge..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes I would, but that's not usually how I choose who to vote for.

Yeah, but it doesn't count because no-one cares about lesbians! The bigger breakthrough will be the first gay man.

Regardless its still a huge step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

cotwold wrote: »
    Regardless its still a huge step.

Why is it a huge step?

She got the job because she's qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

unreggd wrote: »
    Why is it a huge step?

Yes, but often it doesn't work like that and isn't that simple.

Look at Ireland even, the only out politicians I can think of are senators. Are there any TDs?

unreggd wrote: »
    Why is it a huge step?

The huge step is she's getting a job she's qualified for and not losing out to it because of prejudice. The huge step is that she's able to be open about her personal life and be treated equaly in the eyes of the public.

Marshy wrote: »
    Yes, but often it doesn't work like that and isn't that simple.

Look at Ireland even, the only out politicians I can think of are senators. Are there any TDs?

Theres a not out TD who is clearly somewhere on the LGBT scale...

Theres also a few high profile councillors - Malcolm Byrne for one. Not sure of any gay or bi women in politics here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I remember Colm O'Gorman running for the PDs a few years back...

Aard wrote: »
    I remember Colm O'Gorman running for the PDs a few years back...

He was a Senator; and failed to get elected as a TD

There is an FG Senator who also failed to get elected as a TD but his name escapes me now. We've had three gay male Senators in the past few years but no TDs and no lesbians - out ones anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shunra

They say Abraham Lincoln was gay... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

emmet stagg?

anyhow, good to see a gay head of state, and better yet, good to see that she's been elected on far more than her sexuality, but becuase of her qualifications. much and all as i'd love to see more black/gay/women heads of state, i always fear that they'll get the positions because of their status as black/gay/women.... always nice to see them elected on basis of their actual talent/policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

emmet stagg?
    Imo, there's a difference between a politician who's openly gay, and one who's closeted and/or hangs around the Phoenix Park. The latter implies that they're ashamed of their sexuality, and that they're not bothered about equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

The Sultan of Oman,head of State and Government since 1969,married briefly,no children and no obvious successor ,is believed by his subjects to lead an active gay lifestyle.Frowned on by the almost 100% Muslim population in his country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement