Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hottest summer in Melbourne for a century

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

hey down in melbourne and appears its going to be the hottest week in a century with temps set to hit 41 degrees. Its pretty dam hot and dry out and the breeze is no let up at all.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1006208/Melbourne-braces-for-record-heatwave

Not used to this sort of heat so its interesting. Had an interview this morning and had to wear a shirt and tie, thank god it was in the morning and bit cooler but this afternoon was a scorcher.

I heard Melbourne wasnt this hot but not going to complain as I dont want cold weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hyup, it'll be hot this week!

Best advice is to stay out of the sun to be honest. You don't go trying to 'get a colour' in 40 degrees.

It's a good time to go visit sightseeing venues that are air conditioned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Best advice is to stay out of the sun to be honest. You don't go trying to 'get a colour' in 40 degrees.

Yeah agree was at the beach with friends today and they being girls wanted the tan. Didnt stay too long in it to be honest. I walked into random shops today as i felt their aircon from outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The local pool is a life saver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

chris85 wrote: »
    Not used to this sort of heat so its interesting...
    Take it easy on the grog mate. The temptation is to down as many cold beers as you can when it heats up. Heat exhaustion and dehydration ain't fun and a trip to the nearest hospital in an ambulance can sting as well.

Edit: not preaching btw. Words of experience :)

dSTAR wrote: »
    Take it easy on the grog mate. The temptation is to down as many cold beers as you can when it heats up. Heat exhaustion and dehydration ain't fun and a trip to the nearest hospital in an ambulance can sting as well.

Edit: not preaching btw. Words of experience :)

wasnt on the grog, bought a cooler today on the way to the beach and ice and water to go in it. Was a good boy and choose not to put beer in, not worth it.

Im preaching to my friends and the missus to keep the water flowing.

Going to hit some airconed places tomorrow and sit in the park for a while but in the shade which is actually a lot cooler.

• Advertisement

Im preaching to my friends and the missus to keep the water flowing...
    Smart move. I drank more water today than I normally drink in three days and still sweating like a pig without air con. The upstairs of my house is like a sauna hence I cant sleep and on Boards at 1:45am (sober) which is a rarity!

+1 on the drinking water.

You don't realise how much moisture you're losing when you're constantly covered in a slick of sweat because of how hot it is. And yes, a trip to hospital isn't a good thing.

Just a note to all reading Irish travellers in Australia who may not be aware of this, but if you present at the A&E department of a hospital in Victoria and for any reason at all you have to be transferred by ambulance to another hospital, YOU WILL GET A GREAT BIG BILL. Check if your travel insurance covers it, but it's a few thousand dollars to get an ambulance transfer. It applies where I am, because we're a small local hospital and while we can deal with sprains, straightforward breaks and stitches, if you need a little more advanced TLC we have to transfer you to a Melbourne hospital and that'll cost $$$$$.

A good way to keep cool if you find it truly unbearable at night - buy a desk or floor mount fan. Have a cold shower before you go to bed. Make sure the sheets on the bed are as clean as possible - changed in the last day or two. Point fan at bed. Bring a misting bottle full of clean water (thoroughly rinse out something like a cleaning spray bottle, but you can buy a mister in a garden shop or the garden section of the supermarket for just a couple of bucks. Mist self. Lie down. The fan across the misted water will help considerably in cooling you down. (Works on the same basis as your own sweat works, but is more pleasant than lying there sticky and horrible).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I feel sorry for the tennis players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Lol I had training yesterday evening! Ever try training in 40deg heat? We basically ran for a about 15/20mins, did a few drills and left it at that.

It was actually a bit weird running in that heat, never done it before. If you sprint 20 yards your mouth is completely dried out and feels like it's on fire. We basically shouldn't bothered at all, it was pointless.

My house has no air con, but it's an old brick apt on ground floor that doesn't get much sun, so it stays nice and cool. Sweet!

Even with the roof on it is still hot but the humidity goes through the roof (well not literally obviously!)

Did you read about the English complaining that Australia was too hot to play International sports and that is why rugby and cricket thrived in old blighty. Funny but they have a point considering recent temps.

Full article

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

dead right, if i was an atlethe id much rather compete in a northern european country.

The flip side applies to Europe though - soccer, for instance, stops for the summer up there and recommences in the winter so they can both play and train when it's effing freezing. Why not come play tournaments here when it's winter?

Why not come play tournaments here when it's winter?
    The distance of Australia would certainly be a factor. Occasionally in AFL you will hear talk of players and managers being concerned if they have to travel from Victoria to WA for instance in case it effects the players ability to pull up and play well the following week.

Not only that but English players and their fans would see Australia as being an outpost when it comes to their beloved game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Are the tram tracks actually warping with the heat or whats the story with me having to walk most of the way home yesterday with all my shopping??

Are the tram tracks actually warping with the heat or whats the story with me having to walk most of the way home yesterday with all my shopping??
    Quite possibly. Did you see pictures of the buckled train lines near Flinders Station? If the heat can warp train lines to that extent I am sure they can do the same to tram tracks even though they are set in concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I think it's finally over *phew* the temperature just dropped about 10 degrees in the last hour or so. Unfortunately, my brick house has trapped all the heat and is still just as stifling. And I have 3 zonked out kittens who can't go outside that I'm worried about. Maybe MADJ or someone would have some suggestions for keeping kittens cool when they run a mile from ice or water, don't like the fans and we don't have aircon :(

I see you your three and raise you five adult cats and four kittens all of whom have been suffering.

I have one foster mom and four kits and the mom is really feeling this heat, she's only just stopped panting a minute ago. I can't let them have the run of the house with my other cats, so they can't find the best cool spots and it's up to me to try and make the room they're in as comfortable as possible.

Leave the fans in the room with them, because it helps circulate the air, even though they don't have the sense to sit in the breeze. With the mom, I run an icecube over her fur - in circles around her head and ears and down her neck. She doesn't protest so I can only assume it's helping.

Other than opening the windows (fly screens keep them from escaping) and putting ice cubes in their water, I'm going to look into buying a cool pad - either electric or one you put in the fridge, put a cover over it and they can lie on it during the day.

Im on a top floor apartment of a three floor block and the principal of heat rising has made our non airconed apartment a sauna, basically sat out on the balcony till i was going to bed. Its cooled down a bit today but still the building seems to be just retaining the heat.

Got the tram back from CBD yesterday after being at the baths on swanston (fantastically nice there), and it got so full people were getting squashed by the door closing. Trains being cancelled so people just got the tram.

P.S. I am only in Melbourne three weeks and I have a nice apartment in Toorak, and also have a job setup starting next week in an office earning good enough money. I am liking Melbourne.

P.S. I am only in Melbourne three weeks and I have a nice apartment in Toorak, and also have a job setup starting next week in an office earning good enough money. I am liking Melbourne.
    Nice one Chris. Sounds like you landed on your feet. Toorak is a pretty swishy area and a stones throw to Chapel Street / South Yarra where I occasionally like to play ;)

Advertisement