Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with wireless broadband

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Hope you can help,I have just subscribed to a wireless broadband package with BT.However the wireless connection seems to be very erratic,All the lights on the ASDL router are green.But I could not connect to the internet in a different room on a wireless basis.I tried all the usual troubleshooting,switching the router off for 10 seconds etc,turning all radiowave signal devices off.I really do not think the problem is with the router although I am unsure.When I diagnose the problem it says that the signal is excellent but there is limited connectivity.When I go to manage this network connection it comes up that this wireless connection is disabled.I have enabled it,takes for ever.But when I go back on my laptop again it is disabled again.I self installed the connection manually without a disc as it would not open.I am wondering do I have the right settings,I used the Quick Start Guide to install the connection.Are these wireless connections busy at night or is there a problem with the signal my router is getting and the range of this signal?Is there anything I can do to improve the signal quality?I dread the thought I will have to start cabling my apparently wireless connection.Anybody have any such experience with BT wireless?Hope somebody can help.
    Selig:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sorry about that Anti,did not realise.
    Selig

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I know it may sound pedantic but from the point of view of diagnosing what is wrong it is important to understand that there is no such thing as a wireless broadband package with BT. BT deliver bb over your phone line you then may or may not used a wireless router to spread that signal over the house. (Just as with a landline phone you may used a cordless phone around the house).

Wireless connections busy at night is simply not relevant for example.

So from the point of view of diagnosis the absolute essential thing do to is to establish that you are getting the bb properly. So if you connect your laptop to the router by ethernet cable does it get a bb signal and are you able to surf etc?

You say that you are wondering if you have the right settings but how can anyone here help you with that if you do not tell what settings you are using?

If you want help you have to be clear with the settings you have etc etc.

People on here will do their best to help you but you must realise we are not mind readers!!!

Advertisement