Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we ever gonna hear epic music again?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Right well I understand that everyone has their own idea of what epic music is and I understand that. I think we can all agree though that epic music is that which defines or shapes a generation and music that is completely timeless.

When I think epic I think, The Beatles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Gun n' Roses, etc etc. Yes this is all rock music, but I am sure all music genres have their own epic artists too.

The last 10 years of music have been pretty shite, a few good 'catchy' songs here and there but have you heard anything in the last 10 years that you think you will still be listening and loving 20 years from now?.

Are we ever gonna hear epic music again?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

first of all - none of that music in your post is any good at all

second of all, music as a unifying social force is dead - the fact is that through the internet we can hear about emerging microtrends from all over the globe the morning after they're blogged; already you'll notice that the likes of coldplay and u2 no longer cater to people who actually like music, they cater to people who don't want to worry about what music they like

the story of music over the past decade has been a story of the atomisation and polarisation of tastes, and the democratisation of the means of distribution.

the pervasiveness of music - you hear it in shops, taxis, on your mobile every time someone rings you, from the radio in work, etc etc etc has cheapened our expectations of music to the extent that teh vast majority of music is essentially wallpaper, and it's value is so low that the bulk of people don't even consider it worth paying for..

These aren't any modern day Bob Dylans, Arthur Lees, Joe Strummers, Michael Jacksons, Kurt Cobains, etc... There is no need for them because society has changed beyond recognition in the last 15 years, and music simply plays a less significant/central role, which reflected in what people make and what gets released - you couldn't come along and release anything like a modern day Pearl Jam "Ten" or "Never Mind The Bollocks", because this era isn't about having a strong musical presense or unifying people; it would sound ridiculously out of place.

This era's about having something on your iPod while you're doing something else.

Feelgood wrote: »
    have you heard anything in the last 10 years that you think you will still be listening and loving 20 years from now?.

Lots and lots.

You'd probably hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

second of all, music as a unifying social force is dead - the fact is that through the internet we can hear about emerging microtrends from all over the globe the morning after they're blogged; already you'll notice that the likes of coldplay and u2 no longer cater to people who actually like music, they cater to people who don't want to worry about what music they like

the story of music over the past decade has been a story of the atomisation and polarisation of tastes, and the democratisation of the means of distribution.

the pervasiveness of music - you hear it in shops, taxis, on your mobile every time someone rings you, from the radio in work, etc etc etc has cheapened our expectations of music to the extent that teh vast majority of music is essentially wallpaper, and it's value is so low that the bulk of people don't even consider it worth paying for..

These aren't any modern day Bob Dylans, Arthur Lees, Joe Strummers, Michael Jacksons, Kurt Cobains, etc... There is no need for them because society has changed beyond recognition in the last 15 years, and music simply plays a less significant/central role, which reflected in what people make and what gets released - you couldn't come along and release anything like a modern day Pearl Jam "Ten" or "Never Mind The Bollocks", because this era isn't about having a strong musical presense or unifying people; it would sound ridiculously out of place.

This era's about having something on your iPod while you're doing something else.

whaaat? Those bands rock, except for pearl jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

What exactly are you saying by epic though? The sort of milestone acts that have cropped up along the years that have hung around for the next generation and are still revered today as much as they were in their heyday?

There's two problems, one of course being that through the eighties and nineties we were plagued by music that was stuck to a genre that I sincerely hope stays dead and is never preserved, namely synth and pop respectively. I do however think that in the noughties mainstream music took quite a leap. There was influence drawn from the eighties and nineties but bands like The Killers took a smorgasboard of influences and pieced them together to make something good. Love em or hate em I think it's safe to say that the likes of The Killers, Coldplay, Kings Of Leon and some other indie/"hot right now" bands will maintain there following into the next few years.

Personally speaking though, I have admiration for some of the current bands but I still maintain that there will never be another Bowie or Springsteen or any of the greats, as mentioned above, society is different and I just don't think we live in a climate that can produce these acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

i think open your eyes by snow patrol is epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Theres no epic songs because the epic songs came from the first best of there time/genres

Pantera - Metal
    Led zepplin - Rock
    tu pac - Rap
    Madona - Pop

The reason this bands have epic songs because they where one of a kinda started trends like nirvana aswell there could be bands out there who are the same the reason there not as epic is because they dont get coverage or seen as copying this bands.

The rock bands dont get noticed as much because of radio aswell pumpojng out nothing but crap pop also theres so many artist out there one song gets over played then replaced with another 2 weeks later and ya forget it because of the cycle.

Theres no epic songs because the epic songs came from the first best of there time/genres

Pantera - Metal
    Led zepplin - Rock
    tu pac - Rap
    Madona - Pop

The reason this bands have epic songs because they where one of a kinda started trends like nirvana aswell there could be bands out there who are the same the reason there not as epic is because they dont get coverage or seen as copying this bands.

The rock bands dont get noticed as much because of radio aswell pumpojng out nothing but crap pop also theres so many artist out there one song gets over played then replaced with another 2 weeks later and ya forget it because of the cycle.

yes you're right, there was no pop before madonna, no metal before pantera and no rap before tupac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think we can all agree though that epic music is that which defines or shapes a generation and music that is completely timeless.

I don't agree with that definition at all. I mean, in the classic sense of epic as a literally work or poem of particular breadth and greatness, and I think that translates to a musical composition. Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" would be epic music.

This would be the very definition of epic as far as I'm concerned:

Not that I disagree with all the bands you mention, Zep certainly are epic:

But in terms of great cultural significance? I don't know...
    The last 10 years of music have been pretty shite, a few good 'catchy' songs here and there but have you heard anything in the last 10 years that you think you will still be listening and loving 20 years from now?.

People probably said that about The Beatles back in the day, "It's catchy, but who's gonna be listening to it in a few years?"

Now, when I was a kid, it was the likes of Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins and so forth that I liked. And you know what? People did think of them as a fad, it was considered kids stuff and I was told as much by the older lads in school. But where are Pumpkins now? Legendary band! So honestly, it's hard to say what's going to have lasting impact, we can look at bands now and they mightn't grab you by the juju, but unless you've got a time machine, you're not going to be able to say with any certain what will or will not be listened to in 20 years time.

And to actually answer your question, yes of course I've heard stuff in the last 10 years that I'll probably be listening to for many years down the road. Bands like Opeth and Dream Theater to name a couple. I find there's absolutely no shortage of truly great music out there if you actually bother to find it.
    Are we ever gonna hear epic music again?

Only if you stop being so cynical about modern music, go out and find something and ignore whether or not other people listen to it. You might not find something that's as culturally significant as Dylan or Hendrix were, but you can certainly find something that's significant to you, and that can be far more important than how many other people latch onto it. Don't pass over something just because it's not 'the big thing' or whatever.

You seem to like rock bands, so I'm just gonna leave this hear. You might like it, you might not, but give it a listen.

Now, when I was a kid, it was the likes of Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins and so forth that I liked. And you know what?

People did think of them as a fad, it was considered kids stuff and I was told as much by the older lads in school. But where are Pumpkins now? Legendary band!

Sensible post up until the bit about the pumpkins really.

"Gish" was juvenilia, they were irrelevant post- "Siamese Dream", unlistenable post "Mellon Collie &..." and they've appeared to have shed all pretence of beign anything other than a Billy Corgan vanity project ever since

Sensible post up until the bit about the pumpkins really.

"Gish" was juvenilia, they were irrelevant post- "Siamese Dream", unlistenable post "Mellon Collie &..." and they've appeared to have shed all pretence of beign anything other than a Billy Corgan vanity project ever since

Your opinion is irrelevant to my point.

In case you missed it, I'm saying how it's hard to tell what's going to be thought of as great in hindsight, as now the pumpkins are thought of as something legendary and culturally relevant, whereas in their time they were thought of as something the weird kids who didn't know good music listened to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

In case you missed it, I'm saying how it's hard to tell what's going to be thought of as great in hindsight, as now the pumpkins are thought of as something legendary and culturally relevant, whereas in their time they were thought of as something the weird kids who didn't know good music listened to.

Precisely. Led Zeppelin got their name from a remark made by Keith Moon when he heard the original idea of the band pitched to him.

"Blues? Turned up really loud? With Jimmy Page? And that Brummie?

It'll go down like a lead balloon. In fact, it'll sink like a Lead Zeppelin..."

turns out Keith wasn't on the money with his analysis...nobody can know who's gonna be next producing the epics.

Now playing: Teddy Thompson - Where To Go From Here
    via FoxyTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Epic??? What is it!? :D

Sorry...

Nailz wrote: »
    Epic??? What is it!? :D

It's in your face, but you can't grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's in your face, but you can't grab it.
    God dammit! This thread is going to stick Epic in my head for the week or so...

Your opinion is irrelevant to my point.

You might think of the Pumpkins as being "legendary and culturally relevant" but i assure you they are neither in the grand scheme of things

In their time i remember them being pretty much one of the default bands whose cd's people with no imagination bought on their bi-monthly trip to hmv.

You might think of the Pumpkins as being "legendary and culturally relevant" but i assure you they are neither in the grand scheme of things

oh finally, a knowledgeable arbiter of all that's good, and presumably bad in music.

Thank f*ck you've landed.

Tell us, d'you have a list that you might post itemising exactly what, by your assurances, is culturally relevant and which isn't.:rolleyes:

Now playing: Madness - So Much Trouble in the World
    via FoxyTunes

it wasn't me who who used those words - i just think that calling second rate 90's stadium rock bands "legendary" and "culturally relevant" is stretching the matter a little

"the culture of praise" has resulted in a situation where we call far too many things "legendary" or "important" when they clearly aren't.

the smashing pumpkins probably helped a good few country teens with gender issues through their leaving certificates - that does not magically imbue them with a global significance in the realm of culture.

I agree with your comments re the overuse of words such as 'legendary' and 'iconic'; they get strewn about like confetti and their currency has been debased.

For the record I could care less about the Smashing Pumpkins, but in fairness to other posters here, your own use of the word 'assure' was a bit ill-judged as well. That's what i was getting at.

It's that whole subjective/objective thing, innit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Have you heard Opeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

When I think of an epic track, I think of a track that takes you on a journey, in which case, yeah I can list reels of epic tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Right well I understand that everyone has their own idea of what epic music is and I understand that. I think we can all agree though that epic music is that which defines or shapes a generation and music that is completely timeless.

When I think epic I think, The Beatles, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Gun n' Roses, etc etc. Yes this is all rock music, but I am sure all music genres have their own epic artists too.

Are we ever gonna hear epic music again?.

Yeah and my prediction is that Manchester/ Liverpool will come up trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

There's a song on this page (irish band), that i feel is pretty epic, but i'm biased.
    Listen to a song called Escape at www.myspace.com/12gaugemusic

Plenty of big guitars and fancy fretwork

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

i agree in parts and disagree in parts

Music as a medium is declining in quality. the best quality storage for music data is--- vinyl!!! cd has good quality but doesnt have the same dynamic range. and mp3 is the newest and hottest- and sounds like pants.

as for none of the aforementioned calssics being any good, thats just plain wrong

New stuff for consideration: Jack white, the Dresden Dolls, Paul Wellers newer stuff (the Jam is already classic) PJ Harvey, the Strokes + Coldplays first albums. Kings of Leon are headed in the right direction, with honorable mentions for Foals, Fleet Foxes, Nelly McKay, Cathy Davey, and Jamie Lidell. all show some DAMN fine songwriting, with genuine care and grace.

and if i get three people agreeing on any of my personal fave's i'd probably be shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I think of deftones and Tool as epic. One night i came home twisted and threw them on. Didnt sleep, just lay there listening to 10,000 days and white pony on repeat.
    Both epic albums in their own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

My money's on Sigur Rós to be the next version of epic.

They just have wayyyy too much talent and uniqueness to not be. Don't care if they're not your cup of tea in terms of sound, but they are genuinely inspired and inspiring and just altogether brilliant.

I'm really happy they're finally gaining popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

liah wrote: »
    My money's on Sigur Rós to be the next version of epic.

They just have wayyyy too much talent and uniqueness to not be. Don't care if they're not your cup of tea in terms of sound, but they are genuinely inspired and inspiring and just altogether brilliant.

I'm really happy they're finally gaining popularity.

Bah, got there before me :D

You're spot on there, Sigur Rós are just mind-blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Agreed about Sigur Ros, inspiring stuff, a breath of fresh air.

The only other band that jumps out in my mind at the moment is Radiohead. They are consistently producing incredible albums and that seem to always experiment with new sounds. Can definitely imagine them being considered legendary in 20/30 years time.

Advertisement