Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying an iphone in the uk

• 28-01-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times..

I'm over in London at the moment and with the sterling to euro rate the way it is, I thought I might pick up a 16gb iphone.. Went into the apple store and while they wont sell me an iphone directly (with an irish credit card), they will allow me to buy an iphone gift card, then trade that for an iphone. However, they require a once-off £10 topup at time of purchase which cannot be made with an irish card.

Went into carphone warehouse, same thing there. They wont sell to anyone that cant pay with a UK credit card. Question is, will they sell it to me if I go in there with a wad of cash or will they still look for a UK address to get it on pre-pay?

For anyone here that's successfully bought an iphone in the UK, how did you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

Bought one in carphone warehouse, Enniskillen yesterday.
    No problem paying with Irish Credit Card, was asked for postcode for guarantee and gave “ROI”, no other questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

bah.. the guy in carphone warehouse on oxford street just didn't want the hassle of selling me something so. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

No problem paying with Irish Credit Card, was asked for postcode for guarantee and gave “ROI”, no other questions asked.

Do you mind me asking how much that cost? Currently looking for a phone but didn't consider the iPhone as an option as I'm not eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Ha Carphone Warehouse employ coke head drunken chavs in the UK, you dont need to give a post code for warranty, their system is just set up so they cn send you crap in the post.

Go to an O2 store, staff get some training there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

art wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how much that cost? Currently looking for a phone but didn't consider the iPhone as an option as I'm not eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks
    Charged me 350 pounds, well worth the trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Charged me 350 pounds, well worth the trip

Very good - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

rang the belfast apple store and they need a UK chip and pin card to purchase the iPhone.... for obvious reasons !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

666bxg wrote: »
    rang the belfast apple store and they need a UK chip and pin card to purchase the iPhone.... for obvious reasons !!

What are the "obvious reasons"?

Its BS, their system is just not set up for it anyother way................OR and more in line with Apple way of thinking, they want you to pay more down in ROI for the phone/Have an agreement with O2 ireland not to take customers.

Pay cash, simple as, if you "must" buy from the operating theatres that are Apple stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

What are the "obvious reasons"?

Its BS, their system is just not set up for it anyother way................OR and more in line with Apple way of thinking, they want you to pay more down in ROI for the phone/Have an agreement with O2 ireland not to take customers.

Pay cash, simple as, if you "must" buy from the operating theatres that are Apple stores.

The sales guy what straight forward - they don't want the iphones to be taken outside the UK

You CAN pay the iPhone by cash, but you'll still need a UK card to pay the £10 topup - its a non-recurring charge anyway

Why did I go to the apple store? They are the only store that has an adundance of 16GB iphones in white, the rest don't have them, some have never seen them in weeks.....

All you need is a friendly stranger (?) who'll pay the £10 using his/her credit card :cool:

Advertisement