Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing BB provider

Options
  • 28-01-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I have BT broadband and I'm recieving less than 1Mbit per second. I used to recieve 3Mbits until around 3 years ago when we changed over to BT and things went slightly pear shaped. So to cut a long story short, after a successful court case I recieved a call from BT saying that they could no longer endevour to provide me with broadband for the following reasons and should change to a different provider.

Reasons include that I'm 60km from the exchange and I'm on the last loop and I'll never recieve more than 1Mbit, the copper wiring on the road is degrading and the quality of broadband will decrease year on year etc.

So my primary question is does anyone in the Castleknock area use UPC/NTL/Chorus or what ever you want to call it? what type of speeds are you getting?

More generally, if i change back to eircom is there anything more they can do for me than BT? don't they share the same exchanges and lines anyway?

Thanks in advance,

req

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

requiem1 wrote: »
    I'm 60km from the exchange

60km!?

Unless you're with Smart or Magnet, all DSL is eircom's, regardless of who you are with. Even then, all the copper wires are eircom's. Changing to another provider will do nothing for you, if the problem is the line itself. eircom will also do nothing about the line quality, unless there is a voice problem.

I'm guessing you meant to say 6km too, and not 60km. 6km is pretty much right at, or even beyond, DSL boundaries. You may have had 3Mbps previously, though the line quality could have degraded, meaning you'll never get that again.

requiem1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So my primary question is does anyone in the Castleknock area use UPC/NTL/Chorus or what ever you want to call it? what type of speeds are you getting?

req

Would be a danm sight better than eircom anyways.

Do you have UPC points already, are your points recent/good quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

cisk wrote: »
    Would be a danm sight better than eircom anyways.

Do you have UPC points already, are your points recent/good quality?

In some places but I'd like it in the office where all the equipment is and there isn't one there and also NTL want to be paid for the BB connection before they install anything and I'm worried I'll pay them and they'll come out and say that they can't set it up.

And regarding the 60Km, thats the reason listed in the letter I got and the guy from bt I was talking to this morning cited the same reason. So i'm guessing the nearest exchange is somewhere miles and miles away, possibly in never ever land or imagination land beside all the fibre optic cables and 40G exchanges:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well, you're pretty much guaranteed that 60km is a lie, or typo. If they're still referencing it on the phone, they simply don't want your business, and have no idea what they're on about. Your line will be connected to whatever exchange is nearest, and you can see the exchanges themselves on this site, by selecting your county or area.

Be glad you're getting rid of BT, and get broadband with a company that doesn't spite it's customers. You could go back to DSL with your previous provider, or give eircom a ring and ask can you get 3 or 7Mbps on your line. If the line has issues, they should tell you.

Advertisement