Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graffiti on people's houses

• 28-01-2009 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I've noticed over the past few months that there has been a rise in the amount of graffiti in my area.

Now, there has ALWAYS been graffiti as long as I can remember living there, but it was normally confined to Lamp-Posts, walls & fences around public parks, schools etc. (not that this is even acceptable - but that's another debate that's already been had)

But recently, it has started to appear on peoples' garden walls and houses. In one case where someone had a flat-roof garage on the side of their house, someone climbed up on the garage roof and sprayed paint all over the side of the house!

It must be horrible to have that happen to you, for someone to show such little respect for your property. Is there anything that can be done? - Aside from cleaning it off/painting over it - to stop these "C.U. Next Tuesday's".....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Nope, not much can be done unless you are prepared to stand guard all night with a pitchfork. The best thing to do is whitewash over it as soon as you see it. Don't give the little arsebags the satisfaction of having their tag visable for long. ALternatively you can take a picture of the tag then try to google it and find their Bebo page then trace them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Street Art and Graffiti is now a bit more acceptable in Dublin, when it's done the right way and for the right reasons. You have people like Maser, Will St Ledger etc who are doing fantastic commissioned jobs...and it's about time.

You didn't give any details on what was being painted on peoples houses, but the simple fact is that illegally spraying on private or public property is a big no-no, and should be considered as such.

The simple fact is you have two kinds of people who do this, those who do it for the art, and those who do it for the crime. You can normally tell the difference in the subject matter and quality of the work.

The big question for me is, how do we support the right ones and stop the wrong ones? It is an art form at the end of the day and a bit of support from the local councils with regard to designating area's for people to work might not be a bad thing.

If you look at places that have taken this view of graffiti, they tend to have far more respect for public and private property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

You know that lemon stuff you put on your plants when you dont want your dog to chew them up??

Well using the same theory just piss all over your walls to deter them.

Proper artists don't spray on peoples houses. AFAIK. That's usually reserved for anto & his mates out knacker drinking on Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

If you white wash your wall are you not making it worse, where is the lesson learned? Blank canvas?

I'd get some paint and add to it...make it look like something a 2 year old painted. Then put the guys tag every where. Think that would piss him off sufficiently. You can always white wash it after he learns his lesson ;)

• Advertisement

themadchef wrote: »
    If you white wash your wall are you not making it worse, where is the lesson learned? Blank canvas?

I'd get some paint and add to it...make it look like something a 2 year old painted. Then put the guys tag every where. Think that would piss him off sufficiently. You can always white wash it after he learns his lesson ;)

:D That's a good idea. Only problem is though if you get caught putting their tag somewhere by a person who's house also got tagged, you may get a few kicks,

Or write 'is gay' underneath every tag you see :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

just write "is teh ghey" after there name...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Its the same in France,Graffiti is fooking EVERYWHERE..anywhere theres even A remote chance of tagging it then its tagged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I agree with Dragan there's lot's of good graffiti art out there and it should be encouraged. But scrawling your 'tag' i.e. something that looks like arabic and the rest of us can't make head nor tail of isn't cool and it just makes places look like crap.

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    I agree with Dragan there's lot's of good graffiti art out there and it should be encouraged. But scrawling your 'tag' i.e. something that looks like arabic and the rest of us can't make head nor tail of isn't cool and it just makes places look like crap.

you ever in broombridge train station ??

that bollox tbh.. if someone is artistic they should do it in a respectable way without scrawling images or 'tags' all over someones elses property. I lke what they done in dublin with them electricity box dealies.. but anything else is just ****in eejits with too much time on their hands. If i ever find that "GRIFT" coont....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Dragan wrote: »
    Street Art and Graffiti is now a bit more acceptable in Dublin, when it's done the right way and for the right reasons. You have people like Maser, Will St Ledger etc who are doing fantastic commissioned jobs...and it's about time.

You didn't give any details on what was being painted on peoples houses, but the simple fact is that illegally spraying on private or public property is a big no-no, and should be considered as such.

The simple fact is you have two kinds of people who do this, those who do it for the art, and those who do it for the crime. You can normally tell the difference in the subject matter and quality of the work.

The big question for me is, how do we support the right ones and stop the wrong ones? It is an art form at the end of the day and a bit of support from the local councils with regard to designating area's for people to work might not be a bad thing.

If you look at places that have taken this view of graffiti, they tend to have far more respect for public and private property.

Please people, I didn't intend for this turn into a debate about what is or is not 'art' - or what level/standard of graffiti is acceptable! The fact is, nobody has the right to deface your property. I'm aware that there may be a slightly more relaxed attitude when the property concerned is a commercial or industrial unit; but I'm talking about people's houses!!!

I'll try and get some photo's soon and show you what I'm talking about.

I can't remember the tagging name being used (lets say 'Steve' for the sake of argument, and not to insult anyone else here) basically 'Steve' is just being scrawled all over people's houses and walls....

Property Law 101: If you right your name on someone elses property it automatically become yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

And cue Wertz telling everyone who doesnt like graffiti to 'go back to thier cubicle and conform'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

LeahBaby wrote: »
    You know that lemon stuff you put on your plants when you dont want your dog to chew them up??

Well using the same theory just piss all over your walls to deter them.

Classy Bird. :pac:

Please people, I didn't intend for this turn into a debate about what is or is not 'art' - or what level/standard of graffiti is acceptable! The fact is, nobody has the right to deface your property. I'm aware that there may be a slightly more relaxed attitude when the property concerned is a commercial or industrial unit; but I'm talking about people's houses!!!

I'll try and get some photo's soon and show you what I'm talking about.

I can't remember the tagging name being used (lets say 'Steve' for the sake of argument, and not to insult anyone else here) basically 'Steve' is just being scrawled all over people's houses and walls....

I know what you mean, but what i am hinting at is that a few designated and well controled "public" area's the people can tag might stop the incursion on private property.

You asked how to stop this type of thing happening, thats my answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

neil_hosey wrote: »
    you ever in broombridge train station ??

that bollox tbh.. if someone is artistic they should do it in a respectable way without scrawling images or 'tags' all over someones elses property. I lke what they done in dublin with them electricity box dealies.. but anything else is just ****in eejits with too much time on their hands. If i ever find that "GRIFT" coont....:mad:

Em I think I'm missing something here. I never said that graffiti in general was a good thing, in fact I said it wasn't. But I do see some very cool stuff around Dublin city centre which I would consider art and this should be encouraged in a formal way. Most of what's about is just mindless crap and I'd love if some of these fools had to spend a month cleaning it off if caught. And I agree with you about getting your hands on that Grift gob****e, it's all over the ****ing place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You should admire it and keep going on to everyone about how great it looks.

If they think you enjoying it, they'll come back and paint over it for you.

I know what you mean, but what i am hinting at is that a few designated and well controled "public" area's the people can tag might stop the incursion on private property.

You asked how to stop this type of thing happening, thats my answer!

I see your point. But I don't agree 100%. Designated and well controled "public" area's where people can tag would be used of course. But I believe that in this case, it doesn't look as if this is the work of a graffiti 'artist' - just some scumbag with too much time on his hands defacing property. Obviously doesn't have any respect for someone's house, or just doesn't give a sh*t because he knows nothing will happen even if he's caught.

I see your point. But I don't agree 100%. Designated and well controled "public" area's where people can tag would be used of course. But I believe that in this case, it doesn't look as if this is the work of a graffiti 'artist' - just some scumbag with too much time on his hands defacing property. Obviously doesn't have any respect for someone's house, or just doesn't give a sh*t because he knows nothing will happen even if he's caught.

Well that issue falls down to the ability of the local community to self police. If you woke up in the morning with a tag on your house and your neighbour saw who did it, would they tell you?

Communties need to develop more trust and faith in their neighbours i think. That would be a good start?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There was three of these assholes on Crimecall CCTV section last night.
    They must've thought they were being bleedin' deadly defacing loads of shops and businesses i n the dead of night..now they're wanted felons mwuhahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It should never be encouraged. It's all linked into hip hop "street" culture. It's referred to as "tagging" in Grand Theft Auto game. It ALL makes the place look like a ****hole apart from the very rare piece of "graffiti" which is not really graffiti but commissioned art. The people that do it should be given forty lashes with a cat-o-nine-tails. It's people who excuse graffiti as art that are causing great harm

By the way, anyone know what became of GRIFT/GRIFTO who was graffiting all over the place from Stillorgan to Bray ? I heard he got caught, went to court and was handed down a hefty fine. I wonder if he ever coughed up. I hope he did.

Em I think I'm missing something here. I never said that graffiti in general was a good thing, in fact I said it wasn't. But I do see some very cool stuff around Dublin city centre which I would consider art and this should be encouraged in a formal way. Most of what's about is just mindless crap and I'd love if some of these fools had to spend a month cleaning it off if caught. And I agree with you about getting your hands on that Grift gob****e, it's all over the ****ing place.

sry meglome took you up slightly wrong there ! :o

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It should never be encouraged. It's all linked into hip hop "street" culture.

Indeed, it has it's roots as one of the three parts of hip hop, beats, breakdance, and graffiti.

It's referred to as "tagging" in Grand Theft Auto game.

It's reffered to as "tagging" in the game because this is what it is called in real life.
    It ALL makes the place look like a ****hole apart from the very rare piece of "graffiti" which is not really graffiti but commissioned art. The people that do it should be given forty lashes with a cat-o-nine-tails. It's people who excuse graffiti as art that are causing great harm

I disagree, i have seen some pieces of non commissioned art in Dublin, Limerick, Galway, New York, Paris, Florence......all of them very good.

Well that issue falls down to the ability of the local community to self police. If you woke up in the morning with a tag on your house and your neighbour saw who did it, would they tell you?

Yes. I get on very well with my neighbours, something similar happened over a year ago and the next door neighbour let me know on the QT. The next door neighbour on the other side was away for a week some months back and I kept an eye on the place. There were some local kids messing around in their garden/up side entrance who were told to g.t.f.o. nothing serious though.
    Communties need to develop more trust and faith in their neighbours i think. That would be a good start?

I live in a long established area, not a new development, and this trust and faith is in place already I believe. We look out for one and other.

Dragon, we need to start from a position of zero tolerance and move forward from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Meh, i dont mind graffitti once its in a good place ( unused wall, open public... ) but personal property is vandalisim...

Off with they're Heads i say.

Dragon, we need to start from a position of zero tolerance and move forward from there

Nope, we really don't. What we need is an open dialogue between the Council and the main street artists that operate in Dublin. More and more work is being done by them in pubs, clubs and in the form of commissioned jobs. The coverings on the electricity boxes are great, and were done by Maser.

It's also up to the guys who are currently doing well, to send out the message that there is a right and wrong way to do things and lobbying for public space is the right way, the vandalism of private property is the wrong way.

Zero tolerance allows for nothing other than the impression that something is being done...when really nothing is being done at all.

A bit of communication and team work would get a LOT more done.

• Advertisement

The coverings on the electricity boxes are great, and were done by Maser.

I cannot believe my eyes now. Are you saying that a graffiti 'artist' work on electricity boxes is GOOD ? Where does Maser operate from ? If I catch him up to his handywork, he can expect a baseball bat across the back of the head. This scourge needs to be stamped out.

Do you have any objections to advertisements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It should never be encouraged. It's all linked into hip hop "street" culture. It's referred to as "tagging" in Grand Theft Auto game. It ALL makes the place look like a ****hole apart from the very rare piece of "graffiti" which is not really graffiti but commissioned art. The people that do it should be given forty lashes with a cat-o-nine-tails. It's people who excuse graffiti as art that are causing great harm

...Grandad? That you?
    By the way, anyone know what became of GRIFT/GRIFTO who was graffiting all over the place from Stillorgan to Bray ? I heard he got caught, went to court and was handed down a hefty fine. I wonder if he ever coughed up. I hope he did.

I find Grift's stuff is a bit hit and miss, tbh. Grfit is a woman/three kids/an alien/a ghost/in jail/still working depends on what rumour you believe.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

I find Grift's stuff is a bit hit and miss, tbh. Grfit is a woman/three kids/an alien/a ghost/in jail/still working depends on what rumour you believe.

No,grift is a vandalising arsehole who wants to inflict his nickname on everybody else.

I do hope the rumours about him getting fined heavily are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Degsy wrote: »
    No,grift is a vandalising arsehole who wants to inflict his nickname on everybody else.

I do hope the rumours about him getting fined heavily are true.

It can be both, you see. Not saying it ISN'T vandalism, but being an artist, I'll always judge the artwork first. Don't recall seeing his work on private property, though.

I don't care if the graffitier is able to replicate the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. If it is on private or public property and it is unsolicited, it should be treated as a criminal offence

• Advertisement

I cannot believe my eyes now. Are you saying that a graffiti 'artist' work on electricity boxes is GOOD ? Where does Maser operate from ? If I catch him up to his handywork, he can expect a baseball bat across the back of the head. This scourge needs to be stamped out.

The work on the Graffiti boxes that i am talking about was commissioned by the Dublin City Council in the run up to Christmas.

If you feel like attacking somebody who is carrying out a paid job, with all the permissions of the neccessary people, then that says a lot more about you than it does about them i am afraid.

The work on the Graffiti boxes that i am talking about was commissioned by the Dublin City Council in the run up to Christmas.

If you feel like attacking somebody who is carrying out a paid job, with all the permissions of the neccessary people, then that says a lot more about you than it does about them i am afraid.

I got the wrong end of the stick. I see electricity power stations all over the place covered in graffiti. I thought that this was just another chancer. If it is authorised and is good, then fine - however, we have to be careful of the message that is being put out there. Every tosser with a spray can and a hood thinks that it is ok to do these things

I don't care if the graffitier is able to replicate the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. If it is on private or public property and it is unsolicited, it should be treated as a criminal offence

Nah, it makes life interesting! Who wants to sit and look at depressing grey slabs of concrete when you can look at a free art exhibition? I'd much rather they concentrated on speeders and drink-drivers: when was the last time you someone killed by bad graffiti?

Hip hop, like it or not, is still an art form. It's a way of life for a lot of people so easily qualifies asa culture. And it's entirely harmless (unless someone hip-hopped into a bank and carried out a robbery in the recent past). You should consider researching, though, before you commenting upon it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A guy in my class had his initials P.M. in large white letters at the gable end of his house, it could be seen from the school yard..

It's a way of life for a lot of people so easily qualifies asa culture. quote]

So is alcoholism..do we regard vomit and empty cans on the street as culture too?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »

So is alcoholism..do we regard vomit and empty cans on the street as culture too?:rolleyes:

Alcoholism is cultural? Please elaborate...

Nah, it makes life interesting! Who wants to sit and look at depressing grey slabs of concrete when you can look at a free art exhibition? I'd much rather they concentrated on speeders and drink-drivers: when was the last time you someone killed by bad graffiti?

Hip hop, like it or not, is still an art form. It's a way of life for a lot of people so easily qualifies asa culture. And it's entirely harmless (unless someone hip-hopped into a bank and carried out a robbery in the recent past). You should consider researching, though, before you commenting upon it.

You're a dangerous individual. You'd be quite happy to see the whole of Ireland turn into a sh!thole ghetto.

You're a dangerous individual. You'd be quite happy to see the whole of Ireland turn into a sh!thole ghetto.

I am dangerous. I have an open mind. And Ireland, in my opinon is already an intolerant, ****hole neo-con ghetto. Look at the time - 1984 already. Gotta run.

You should consider researching the topic of this thread before commenting on it.
    I am dangerous. I have an open mind. And Ireland, in my opinon is already an intolerant, ****hole neo-con ghetto. Look at the time - 1984 already. Gotta run.

So you'd have no problem if I came round to your house in the middle of the night and sprayed a load of sh*te all over your walls, because after all, you have an open mind, and accept this "harmless" culture...

:rolleyes:

Idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Idiot

Banned

I've noticed over the past few months that there has been a rise in the amount of graffiti in my area.

Now, there has ALWAYS been graffiti as long as I can remember living there, but it was normally confined to Lamp-Posts, walls & fences around public parks, schools etc. (not that this is even acceptable - but that's another debate that's already been had)

But recently, it has started to appear on peoples' garden walls and houses. In one case where someone had a flat-roof garage on the side of their house, someone climbed up on the garage roof and sprayed paint all over the side of the house!

It must be horrible to have that happen to you, for someone to show such little respect for your property. Is there anything that can be done? - Aside from cleaning it off/painting over it - to stop these "C.U. Next Tuesday's".....

How about not living in an area with Knackers?

If it is authorised and is good, then fine -

So you have no problem with graffiti as long as it's authorised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There was an authorised one back home. I thought it looked worse than most of the other graffiti.

if its good I don't mind if its authorised or not. It beats more grey in the city TBH.

I would imagine that the age profile of most graffitiers is early to late teens. Wigger hip hop lovers who go around saying "no whattam sayin' ?" the whole time. They play games like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and this gives them the idea to 'tag' their neighbourhood like they do in South Central LA. I'd break their arms if I caught them. It requires brute force to sort out. The cops seem unable or unwilling to do anything. In some areas, residents associations are being pro-active about it and taking it upon themselves to clean it up. That's all fine but I would rather make it very clear to the perpetrators that their activities will not be tolerated under any circumstances

Mingey wrote: »
    So you have no problem with graffiti as long as it's authorised?

Authorised by the owner/council and looks good. Most of the sh!te I see around the place is neither authorised by anyone or good. I am sick and tired of it. It only started to get worse in the last ten years. It's a lot to do with parents who don't supervise their kids properly and shop assistants selling the spray cans to the little @rseholes. There should be an over 18 rule for buying this stuff - or a serial number on each can that can be traced back to the purchaser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement