Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graffiti on people's houses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

This Seems like a case for.......

THE CITIZEN!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Authorised by the owner/council and looks good. Most of the sh!te I see around the place is neither authorised by anyone or good. I am sick and tired of it. It only started to get worse in the last ten years. It's a lot to do with parents who don't supervise their kids properly and shop assistants selling the spray cans to the little @rseholes. There should be an over 18 rule for buying this stuff - or a serial number on each can that can be traced back to the purchaser.

The over 18's rule is foolish. Lots of art students under that age who need to purchase it.

Also, if i walk into a shop and buy anything and pay cash, how do you trace that back to me?

If you are going to moan about an issue then the least you can do is come up with some realistic ways to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Dragan wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but what i am hinting at is that a few designated and well controled "public" area's the people can tag might stop the incursion on private property.

You asked how to stop this type of thing happening, thats my answer!
    Well the problem is that this nice sounding approach does not work! The genuine artists out there will of course immediately use the space made available, then the tagging sh!ts will come along and tag over his/her work and then carry on tagging everywhere else. The approach has been tried in Thetford in (East Anglia) England and didn't work. The problem is that these little sh!ts care more about being 'rebels' sticking it to 'the man' than anything else. There are designated grafitti areas in London but it doesn't stop 'Tox' from tagging every inch of space he can on the Kings Cross/St Pancras rail lines! Nice idea, crap in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'm all for the kids stickin their 2 fingers up at the rulez, as I think there;s too many sheeple out there.

BUT, I have to say I just don't get graffiti. We can call it art. But, to my mind, art should still be displayed in the context where people choose to go and see it.

Like, I'm really into music. But I'd be pissed if big orchestras just decided to play music outside me house randomly.

I can see the "art" in a lot of things, but I struggle to see it in graffiti, but maybe that's just me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I am dangerous. I have an open mind. And Ireland, in my opinon is already an intolerant, ****hole neo-con ghetto. Look at the time - 1984 already. Gotta run.

Well you're well out of it so.
    And we're well rid of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Degsy wrote: »

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

With regards to grafitti; I like if it's well done on public property;
    I agree it makes otherwise colourless areas more interesting... although I hate plain boringly done tags. Nothing interesting about them really.

Wheras spraying private property is another matter, that's just scummy. Some little r/tards sprayed their borin crap badly done tags on my wall (live beside a park).
    Took several coatings of paint to get rid of them, but I'm not too bothered, because I WILL catch them one of the days & then it will be totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

jim o doom wrote: »
    With regards to grafitti; I like if it's well done on public property;

I think it looks every bit as bad in public areas as it does in private areas. I don't see the difference. Are we confusing graffiti with murals here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

Give us a link to pics of this Maser 's work. Any art I've seen around Dublin doesn't compare to the stuff in Spain and Italy. There was never much of a scene here anyway. The stuff on the ESB boxes isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

javaboy wrote: »
    Careful now.

Down with this sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I am dangerous. I have an open mind. And Ireland, in my opinon is already an intolerant, ****hole neo-con ghetto. Look at the time - 1984 already. Gotta run.

Its only 1982, we can't even though that right :D

Can't lock all the cock ups up like the voting machines though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You should consider researching the topic of this thread before commenting on it.

So you'd have no problem if I came round to your house in the middle of the night and sprayed a load of sh*te all over your walls, because after all, you have an open mind, and accept this "harmless" culture...

:rolleyes:

Idiot
    Topic well researched. Grafitti on the outside of my apartment wouldn't bother me. Especially if it was pleaseing to the eye.
    I would imagine that the age profile of most graffitiers is early to late teens. Wigger hip hop lovers who go around saying "no whattam sayin' ?" the whole time. They play games like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and this gives them the idea to 'tag' their neighbourhood like they do in South Central LA. I'd break their arms if I caught them. It requires brute force to sort out. The cops seem unable or unwilling to do anything. In some areas, residents associations are being pro-active about it and taking it upon themselves to clean it up. That's all fine but I would rather make it very clear to the perpetrators that their activities will not be tolerated under any circumstances

"Wigger"?

I don't play video games, so you're going to have to explain the link between Grand Theft Auto 4 (I know of it, just not very much about it). I'd much rather a grafitti artist be on the loose than someone who believes he has the right to break peoples arms at will.

Back to square one again, eh, Degsy? How is ALCOHOLISM CULTURAL please?
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'm all for the kids stickin their 2 fingers up at the rulez, as I think there;s too many sheeple out there.

BUT, I have to say I just don't get graffiti. We can call it art. But, to my mind, art should still be displayed in the context where people choose to go and see it.

Like, I'm really into music. But I'd be pissed if big orchestras just decided to play music outside me house randomly.

....then it's not art!

Give us a link to pics of this Maser 's work. Any art I've seen around Dublin doesn't compare to the stuff in Spain and Italy. There was never much of a scene here anyway. The stuff on the ESB boxes isn't great.

Maser.

Not his best, by a long shot, but all I have on file. It brighted up the side of a disused and partially burned out warehouse. Big file, apologies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Maser.

Not his best, by a long shot, but all I have on file. It brighted up the side of a disused and partially burned out warehouse. Big file, apologies.

More maser here.

Actually, it took this thread for me to make the connection between the pieces i'd seen around dublin and who you were talking about. The guy is pretty good, he can tag my house anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I don't care if the graffitier is able to replicate the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. If it is on private or public property and it is unsolicited, it should be treated as a criminal offence

and it is, so calm down.

also, it might disturb you to note that there are a fair few twenty-something graffiti writers on the go. I'd be careful about running out with a bat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Interesting, i remember another thread a while back.. could be a year or more ago now. I despise graffiti unless it is proper commissioned art that actually has some meaning or story.

Anyway i was giving out about it and showed Paris and Prague as examples of how i do not want this country to go. Every single beautiful building is covered in scribbles. Not art, just peoples names.

In response to some people who seemed to think it was art and their right to do so i suggested people go to their homes and start scribbling all over it.

Cant think how that thread ended to be honest, i think i gave up.

While there is "some" good street art out there, i would say 99% that i see is utter crap and just people writing their names and brings down the whole area.

I do think people should only graffiti either designated areas or temporary constructions. Those wooden walkways put around building sites are ideal. I saw an excellent one near Kevin street which looked like pac man with symbols of drugs and crime in it.

My argument is, if you graffiti a wall or building that does not belong to you, then you should have no problem with someone doing the same to your own home or your car. There is zero difference.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Interesting, i remember another thread a while back.. could be a year or more ago now. I despise graffiti unless it is proper commissioned art that actually has some meaning or story.

I remember a similar thread where beautiation was claiming the right to deface other people's houses. I got a little bit wound up. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

That's very poor. I hate freestyle writing, it's one step above the scrawls on every wall, imo. I want pictures with good treatment. Even stencils like Banksy are better. A bit of fckin integrity please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's very poor. I hate freestyle writing, it's one step above the scrawls on every wall, imo. I want pictures with good treatment. Even stencils like Banksy are better. A bit of fckin integrity please.

I know, but like I said, all I had on file. Anyway, it's not the worst thing you could see coming home on the Luas.

I don't think anyone is defending 'scribbles' by the way. Certainly not me. These feckers are the ones who should be brought in fro crimes against art if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

http://maserart.com/concrete.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

grafitti, mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think there was basically a realisation by the people in charge of this crap that we needed colours in the city and that there is too much grey and it depresses people as this doesn't occur in nature so people aren't used to it.

As far as I remember, they had sufficient evidence to back this up.

In some places, they started dying the concrete so they were left with coloured patterns through it. Now if you want to see something that looks horrible :P

They need to find away for people to do this without it looking like vandals TBH. A simple placard saying work commissioned by blah on behalf of blah and this scene is supposed to represent blah according to the artist blah would do.

Don't know if that is in place on these or not. If you see them from your car, just looks like vandals even if its legit TBH.

thebman wrote: »
    I think there was basically a realisation by the people in charge of this crap that we needed colours in the city and that there is too much grey and it depresses people as this doesn't occur in nature so people aren't used to it.

As far as I remember, they had sufficient evidence to back this up.

In some places, they started dying the concrete so they were left with coloured patterns through it. Now if you want to see something that looks horrible :P

They need to find away for people to do this without it looking like vandals TBH. A simple placard saying work commissioned by blah on behalf of blah and this scene is supposed to represent blah according to the artist blah would do.

Don't know if that is in place on these or not. If you see them from your car, just looks like vandals even if its legit TBH.

+1. Seasonal A(whatever A stands for - can't remember) Disorder is similar.

But colour DOES occur in nature - we just destroy it in order to replace it with grey concrete. Perhaps the moodswitch is intentionall ybrougt about.

OH God. I'm turning into RTDH....

Back to square one again, eh, Degsy? How is ALCOHOLISM CULTURAL please?

You said hiphop is a lifestyle choice for many people so therefore should be considered to be cultural.Yeah?

I said alcoholism is a lifestyle choice for many people,so by your reckoning IT should be deemed cultural too.

It might as well,they both involve people walking funny,speaking incoherently and leaving unsightly evidence behind them.

And your obvious willingness to have somebody deface the outside of "your" apartment most likely stems from the fact that you dont,in fact own it.
    Am i right?

You said hiphop is a lifestyle choice for many people so therefore should be considered to be cultural.Yeah?

I said alcoholism is a lifestyle choice for many people,so by your reckoning IT should be deemed cultural too.

It might as well,they both involve people walking funny,speaking incoherently and leaving unsightly evidence behind them.

And your obvious willingness to have somebody deface the outside of "your" apartment most likely stems from the fact that you dont,in fact own it.
    Am i right?

While I don't think people "choose" to be alcoholics, your point is technically correct. Ireland has long been referred to as having an alcohol culture. You frequently here about the drug culture on the news.

Do you know any grafitti artists? If so, how come you haven't gone vigilante on them or reported them? If not, how do you know that they walk funny, and speak coherently? Are you capable of reserach or do you just generalise away and hope you hit a target every now and again?

The question was hypotetical. If I owned my property and it was grafittied, it wouldn't bother me. My apartment is on the fifth floor, so whether I own it or not is entirely hypotetical.

Do you know any grafitti artists? If so, how come you haven't gone vigilante on them or reported them? If not, how do you know that they walk funny, and speak coherently? Are you capable of reserach or do you just generalise away and hope you hit a target every now and again?

The question was hypotetical. If I owned my property and it was grafittied, it wouldn't bother me. My apartment is on the fifth floor, so whether I own it or not is entirely hypotetical.

You didnt say being agraffiti "Artist" was a culture.
    You said hip-hop was a culture.
    Now,i may be wrong but isnt hip-hop all about hero-worshipping american psuedo-gangster "culture"?
    You know,sloping around with the waistband of your jeans around your knees,talking about packing straps and cals,bitches,ho,youknowwhati'msayin' and all that other meaningless bollocks.
    It also seems to me that none of these "artsists" are actually saying anything,they're copying a style of writing and using it to write thier names..big swing of a cats fanny..i dont see any political commentary or social message.
    Bunch of wannabe idiots.

True. I never said that.
    Hip-hop is a culture; grafitti is one aspect of it.
    Now,i may be wrong but isnt hip-hop all about hero-worshipping american psuedo-gangster "culture"?
    You know,sloping around with the waistband of your jeans around your knees,talking about packing straps and cals,bitches,ho,youknowwhati'msayin' and all that other meaningless bollocks.
    It also seems to me that none of these "artsists" are actually saying anything,they're copying a style of writing and using it to write thier names..big swing of a cats fanny..i dont see any political commentary or social message.
    Bunch of wannabe idiots.

Hip-hop, stricktly speaking is a music/dance form; grafitti being the visual aspect of it. There are hip-hop groups in youth clubs all over Ireland, and there's an annual exhibiton of it called Kings Of Concrete. Certainly nothing to do with hero-worship. What you're describing sounds more like gang culture and certainly nothing to do with hip-hop.

Copying in the world of art would be nothing new.

Maybe because you are not looking hard enough?

I am looking and I can see. Bebo is littered with these gurriers. They are from Dublin but they think they are from South Central LA. They say 'man' the whole time. Shower of wiggers. They like to wreck rather than create. They should be given a harsh lesson every time they are caught graffiting. The cops should be searching their houses for spray cans and other paraphenalia

I'd add Will St Leger and Mr Banks to that list.

I am looking and I can see. Bebo is littered with these gurriers. They are from Dublin but they think they are from South Central LA. They say 'man' the whole time. Shower of wiggers. They like to wreck rather than create. They should be given a harsh lesson every time they are caught graffiting. The cops should be searching their houses for spray cans and other paraphenalia

No offence, but you see what you want to see and you have been more than happy to tag them all with the same name, if you will pardon the pun.

Have you ever attented the Kings of Concrete? The Antics Rogue Show or are you even aware of the Free Art Friday movement operated by Will St Ledger?

I say "man" the whole time, i also say "dude"? Does that upset you at all?

I am not disagreeing with anyone who says the whole "Anto was here" thing is a load of rubbish, that tagging private property should not be done etc etc but at least i am willing to take a further look into the scene and what the actual artists are doing, with the support of various groups and bodies and how they are trying to find a place for street art and graffiti within modern ireland.

It must be so much easier to dismiss it all, as you do.

• Advertisement

It must be so much easier to dismiss it all, as you do.

The reason I criticised the way they speak is because some of these people are heavily influenced by hip-hop etc. Their heroes are Jay-Z and 50 Cent and they seem to be trying to emulate the 'ghetto' where these people come from with their 'tagging' (vandalism) and also the way they speak e.g. Whassup, No wha am sayin etc etc.. I don't have a problem applauding proper art. I don't have a problem with people doing an authorised mural on a wall that looks colourful. I am open minded when it comes to art. I object to unauthorised graffiting though. It is impossible to draw the line between an unauthorised colourful mural on a wall and someone vandalising a place with their initials or a curse - so there MUST be zero tolerance as a result

The reason I criticised the way they speak is because some of these people are heavily influenced by hip-hop etc. Their heroes are Jay-Z and 50 Cent and they seem to be trying to emulate the 'ghetto' where these people come from with their 'tagging' (vandalism) and also the way they speak e.g. Whassup, No wha am sayin etc etc.. I don't have a problem applauding proper art. I don't have a problem with people doing an authorised mural on a wall that looks colourful. I am open minded when it comes to art. I object to unauthorised graffiting though. It is impossible to draw the line between an unauthorised colourful mural on a wall and someone vandalising a place with their initials or a curse - so there MUST be zero tolerance as a result

If you want to devide communities and create the next level of rebellious teenagers with an anarchic and law form, go for it.

If you have no problem with "authorised art" (an oxymoron, I believe) then what is your opinion of Will St Ledger? His work can be found at www.willstleger.com and banksy at www.banksy.co.uk. In Banksy's csae the same works have been unauthorised on walls AND euthorised in exhibitions.

Kids will be influenced by what is shown to them. Popular media, music and cinema will always be a little bit tired in my opinion. The hip hop that i avoid on tv and the radio but that these kids are exposed to is not even close to representative of hip hop as a whole and within the scene you can look a bit deeper and find some very positive influences. They will find their own and move on as people, they way we all did as we moved from early teens into late teens and then on into adulthood.

As for the "impossible to draw a line" thing, i disagree. It's actually very easy to draw the line as one is very obvious and the other is not.

I absolutely agree with you that a clamp down on the illegal activities must happen but i would like that to be balanced with some good opportuinities for the kids and adults who want to do things right and actually progress their art.

I don't think that is a bad thing.

In Banksy's csae the same works have been unauthorised on walls AND euthorised in exhibitions.

So he's a vandal?

Long and short of it is he defaces property that doesnt belong to him.
    Does he invite people to paint on the walls of his property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kennymccormick

Bunch of wannabe idiots.

degsy u really are clueless.

degsy u really are clueless.

Says who?

me u havent got a clue. anytime rubbish is being spouted, whether it be about dave mcsavage, foreign aid or anything else your sure to find that lad degsy at the centre of it

Kenny cop yourself on very quickly or you'll be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, the sight of "2Pac forever" spray-painted across a wall in some middle-class housing estate in Ballincollig is rather pathetic... :D

• Advertisement

me u havent got a clue. anytime rubbish is being spouted, whether it be about dave mcsavage, foreign aid or anything else your sure to find that lad degsy at the centre of it
    Oh? Very familiar with him for someone with three posts aren't ya... ;)

Dudess wrote: »
    In fairness, the sight of "2Pac forever" spray-painted across a wall in some middle-class housing estate in Ballincollig is rather pathetic... :D

Or as i saw in finglas "2pac 4 evar..live by the gun dye by the gun..g-unit"

Well to be fair, a lot of Finglas is much more "ghetto" than Ballincollig.

So what?
    You're either somebody with two accounts or somebody who was banned.
    Either way after the crap you spouted in the Dublin forum you're 'istory pal!

Dudess wrote: »
    Well to be fair, a lot of Finglas is much more "ghetto" than Ballincollig.

Maybe but they're still a bunch of gangsta-rap influenced numpty wannabes.

So what?
    You're either somebody with two accounts or somebody who was banned.
    Either way after the crap you spouted in the Dublin forum you're 'istory pal!

meh, don't cry.

• Advertisement

Oh my God! I banned Kenny.

So he's a vandal?

Long and short of it is he defaces property that doesnt belong to him.
    Does he invite people to paint on the walls of his property?

Never said he wasn't. You said you didn't "see any political commentary or social message" so we invited you to comment on some perfectly legal grafitti. Stick to the stuff in his exhibitions if you wish.
    Maybe but they're still a bunch of gangsta-rap influenced numpty wannabes.

I thought I explained the difference between gansta-rap and hip-hop/grafitti...?

In the interests of keeping things on topic, NO-ONE is disagreeing with you regarding scribbles on private property.

so we invited you .

Whats this "we" business?
    Have you got a mouse in your pocket?

NO-ONE is disagreeing with you regarding scribbles on private property.

I still don't get it though Ikky Poo2. You seem to think that these things are alright on public property. Are you suggesting that it is ok to spray a big 'tag' on the local old folks home ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Some people do think these things are alright on public property.

I shan't weep for a Coke bus shelter ad being slightly obscured, thats for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement