Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro deposit account outside ROI

Options
  • 28-01-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to go about opening one or more euro deposit accounts outside the so-called 'PIIGS' area? This would be in the event of Ireland and the others withdrawing from the euro and the subsequent currency devaluation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yorky wrote: »
    This would be in the event of Ireland and the others withdrawing from the euro and the subsequent currency devaluation.

This is a very, very unlikely scenario. The ramifications for any economy deciding to do this are massive - any benefit would be hugely outweighed by the negatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Blackjack wrote: »
    This is a very, very unlikely scenario. The ramifications for any economy deciding to do this are massive - any benefit would be hugely outweighed by the negatives.

do you have any practical advice for the OP though? this is something I am also interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Some UK Retail banks used to offer this - I know Citibank had the option of a USD and EUR deposit account to accompany a GBP current account, but I don't know any more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dubo

Most UK banks have offshore Euro accounts that are available to non-residents, but being offshore they aren't insured to the seem degree as onshore ones. Banks in the rest of Europe offer non-resident accounts aswell but language and red-tape complicate things. The fees can be quite high wherever you go.

Advertisement