Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Weekend in Dublin

Options
  • 28-01-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭

I went to Dublin for the weekend of the 16-18th. It was about 9 years since I had been in Dublin. I can't understand how so many people love it.

When I got there I went down Temple Bar a busker was playing on the street. A guy came by put his hand into his guitar bag and took a big chunk of change..walked away calm and turned back telling him he shouldn't have had it out in the open.

The number of homeless people seems to have increased and Saturday morning I saw a guy with headphones on and a sleeping bag walk out into the middle of traffic and dancing to himself...he stopped right in the middle until all the cars stopped and then danced across the rest of the road to the other side.

Saturday I went for a walk around Dublin by myself. Two people asked me for the lend of my phone. A guy asked me for change for the bus (i.e the entire cost of the bus) and a middle aged guy asked me to tie his shoe for him because he had a bad back. I tied your mans shoe but told the others to fook off.

Saturday in the afternoon I went to a spar. The guy at the deli was putting the price sticker on a roll and a woman put her hands into the hot food deli when he had his back turned and tried to make away with two Jam bons..

Friday and Saturday night I asked two seperate people for directions and they were friendly and all. Both from Dublin born and bred but they didn't know where anywhere was. I'd heard before that Dubs are clueless where anything is they just no what bus to get on etc. so thats not so bad.

There doesn't appear to be a middle class in Dublin because on a night out in Dublin everyone appears upperclass..its like Galway during the Galway races. Well thats all really. I'm just venting and wanted to ask what are Dublin redeeming features?. I was thinking of moving there for a job but I'm not so sure now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sounds terrible. You witnessed homelessness and food theft in a big city, Dublin born and bred people were friendly to you.

I suggest professional help to get over the trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

you must have one of those faces.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I tied your mans shoe but told the others to fook off.

That was nice of you. Why did you tell others to fook off though?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

I wouldn't worry about it mate,you didn't get the job anyway. Dublin people ARE clueless,we don't ''no'' half as much as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

There doesn't appear to be a middle class in Dublin because on a night out in Dublin everyone appears upperclass.

lol, what does that even mean? They dress well and that makes you feel inferior? You should probably hang out in Flannery's with the rest of your brethren.
    Also you're hanging around Temple Bar and scummy areas it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

You would prefer a welcome like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

The begging has got out of hand. Smoking areas outside pubs were like a war zone in build up to Christmas with Roma women bashing prams into people whilst their kids ran around trying to pick pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There doesn't appear to be a middle class in Dublin because on a night out in Dublin everyone appears upperclass..its like Galway during the Galway races.
    Really lol ? perhaps the working class moved upstairs ,leapfrogged the middle and became upperclass .

Something Britain and Ireland both have is obsession with class although Ireland being the smaller country , it's probably worse there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ha Ha such a defensive bunch eh?...and Dublins not that big a city. I've been to many bigger places and didn't see half as much ****e over a couple of weeks compared to the 48 hours or so I was in Dublin. I don't know more than you sure I'm a cultchie :D

lol, what does that even mean? They dress well and that makes you feel inferior? You should probably hang out in Flannery's with the rest of your brethren.
    Also you're hanging around Temple Bar and scummy areas it seems.

Haven't applied for it yet. Theres a few there but I want to wait till my lease is up in the house I'm in here first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Oh dear...
    I must be honest here, you really would want to lead a very boring life to give so much detail on a few minor incidents.
    I vote you stay in Galway, by the bay, organise a limbo session of some sorts where it's your immediate friends and family, that way there'll be no riff raff.
    I have lived here for best part of my 25 years and have had the hassle of being robbed by syringe off Trinity St, put that in your shock facts diary as well.
    Also I would have a very good knowledge of just about everywhere, not only in 'tourist city centre' but even as far afield as Balbriggan and Sandyford...
    What exactly is it you are trying to say in this thread? Is it a highlight to boards to prove what a boring time you and your company are to be with while also highlighting your lack of intelligence by telling people to f off rather than say no, or just walk by?
    I like you, have been in far bigger cities than this, *(bows to boards members at round of applause)* but try not to brag about it too much, just couldn't resist there though.

Jay D wrote: »
    Oh dear...
    I must be honest here, you really would want to lead a very boring life to give so much detail on a few minor incidents.
    I vote you stay in Galway, by the bay, organise a limbo session of some sorts where it's your immediate friends and family, that way there'll be no riff raff.
    I have lived here for best part of my 25 years and have had the hassle of being robbed by syringe off Trinity St, put that in your shock facts diary as well.
    Also I would have a very good knowledge of just about everywhere, not only in 'tourist city centre' but even as far afield as Balbriggan and Sandyford...
    What exactly is it you are trying to say in this thread? Is it a highlight to boards to prove what a boring time you and your company are to be with while also highlighting your lack of intelligence by telling people to f off rather than say no, or just walk by?
    I like you, have been in far bigger cities than this, *(bows to boards members at round of applause)* but try not to brag about it too much, just couldn't resist there though.

I was bored alright..was walking around by myself waiting for a friend to meet. Maybe it would have been less evident if I had something to do. Yeah I love to brag...you should see my lad, its huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Hahaha :D That sounds like a great weekend. Nothing like a bunch of colourful characters to entertain you. Sure you had no harm or robbery inflicted on you, what's the matter? Why not relax and enjoy what all the urban crazies (who are not exclusive only to Dublin, btw) have to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was waiting for the sequel to 'The Accidental Tourist' and now I've found it!.

Thanks OP.

:D

Dublins not that big a city. I've been to many bigger places and didn't see half as much ****e over a couple of weeks compared to the 48 hours or so I was in Dublin.

Food theft and begging, people being nice to you? People asking for a loan of your phone?

This is your idea of an unpleasant experience in a city? Wise up, streetwise up and cop on and grow up. Did you visit the museums, the galleries or did you just wonder around spar shops spending a fortune on breakfast rolls, why didn't you stop for coffee in a nice cafe and get something nice (and cheaper) to eat? Why didn't you have some (dirt cheap) ethnic food in one of the restaurants on the North side?

Seriously, open your eyes, open your mind and stop worrying about classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    Did you visit the museums .

Jesus don't invite him to complain they were full of 'old stuff'!.

lightening wrote: »
    or the galleries .

Or that he just stood there staring..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

op tbh i prefer the west of ireland than the east but ur talking some ****e.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Perhaps if you hadn't had a pig under your arm, a clay pipe sticking out the side of your mouth and wore trousers that reached your shoes the reception may have been better.
    What were you doing in Dublin anyway OP? Trolling under the Ha'penny bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You went to Temple Bar and expected to have a good time? Sucka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I went to Dublin for the weekend of the 16-18th. It was about 9 years since I had been in Dublin. I can't understand how so many people love it.

When I got there I went down Temple Bar a busker was playing on the street. A guy came by put his hand into his guitar bag and took a big chunk of change..walked away calm and turned back telling him he shouldn't have had it out in the open.

The number of homeless people seems to have increased and Saturday morning I saw a guy with headphones on and a sleeping bag walk out into the middle of traffic and dancing to himself...he stopped right in the middle until all the cars stopped and then danced across the rest of the road to the other side.

Saturday I went for a walk around Dublin by myself. Two people asked me for the lend of my phone. A guy asked me for change for the bus (i.e the entire cost of the bus) and a middle aged guy asked me to tie his shoe for him because he had a bad back. I tied your mans shoe but told the others to fook off.

Saturday in the afternoon I went to a spar. The guy at the deli was putting the price sticker on a roll and a woman put her hands into the hot food deli when he had his back turned and tried to make away with two Jam bons..

Friday and Saturday night I asked two seperate people for directions and they were friendly and all. Both from Dublin born and bred but they didn't know where anywhere was. I'd heard before that Dubs are clueless where anything is they just no what bus to get on etc. so thats not so bad.

There doesn't appear to be a middle class in Dublin because on a night out in Dublin everyone appears upperclass..its like Galway during the Galway races. Well thats all really. I'm just venting and wanted to ask what are Dublin redeeming features?. I was thinking of moving there for a job but I'm not so sure now...

To be honest, you sound very pessimistic.
    Instead of seeing the street preformer, you saw the scum robbing his money.
    When you saw the guy dancing on the road, you could have laughed; I reckon most people around you would have been.

Fair play for doing your mans laces, but there was no need to swear at the other guy.
    Petty robberies in stores such as spar are commen ground in any city, last time i was down in clifden i saw this happening.

Personally I'm not the best with directions, but i have a fair idea of how to get around, on foot or in car in the city center, and i could give good enough directions.

And the class thing?
    You saw a homeless person dancing in the road, and your saying all you could see in Dublin was the upper classes?
    Seriously, you could have went into any pub and felt right at home.

Food theft is turned a blind eye to sometimes for obvious reasons. I remember seeing a Chinese dub girl sneak a load of left overs from a well known Dublin pub to a load of homeless dudes. Fair play to her I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Why on earth did you go to Temple Bar at the weekend??

Sounds like you should stay in Galway - not as many visible homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

OP if you felt lonely there is a group of culchies who walk around Dublin all the time and moan about the petty crime but rarely seem to do anything about it either and get paid for it!

You might have heard of them, they're called the Gardai :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I really,really,really,really,really,really,really,really,really,
    really,really,really,really,really,really,really,really,really,
    hope that was Dave McSavage.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

I was bored alright..was walking around by myself waiting for a friend to meet. Maybe it would have been less evident if I had something to do. Yeah I love to brag...you should see my lad, its huge

yup, by the sounds of this, you must have been walking around, not really looking like you knew where you were going. "Street" people (and there is a lot) can spot this a mile off and you become a "target".
    But the reverse is also true, when asking for directions, with a bit of practice, you can spot more people more likely to know. But it has happend me, where I saw people looking lost, and ask if I could help, and of course, they asked me something I didnt know. Even if you know a lot about Dublin, there is probably a lot more you dont know.

Never let anyone use your phone (I have never been asked, well I was once, but I was buying drugs at the time so was a bit suspicous of the guy.. ;-)... if you are being asked, you must be doing something wrong)

No middleclass people in Dublin.. what a really wierd thing to say.

There are a few ok places in Temple Bar, but the rest should be avoided like the plague.

General rule , for Dublin and all cities, try and make it look like you know where you are going.. even if you dont, or you will make "friends" you wish you had'nt

edit.. and yes... I really really hope it was David McSavage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

bealbocht wrote: »
    Never let anyone use your phone (I have never been asked, well I was once, but I was buying drugs at the time so was a bit suspicous of the guy..

Haha, one of the funniest lines I've read on Boards in a while.

This feckin' city's a dsigrace when you can't even trust drug dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

bealbocht wrote:
    Never let anyone use your phone (I have never been asked, well I was once, but I was buying drugs at the time so was a bit suspicous of the guy..
    That one hour call the dealer made to Medellín to order in some Colombian blow must've really stung when you got your bill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

What op,no pictures. All that excitment and all you can do is moan. I drive around the city every day and never see all the s*it you did. Christ,talk about being ungratefull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

OP, you should visit Hollywood sometime, especially McDs at Hollywood & Highland. Dublin will seem normal and extra boring after that ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement