Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Weekend in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

markpb wrote: »
    OP, you should visit Hollywood sometime, especially McDs at Hollywood & Highland. Dublin will seem normal and extra boring after that ;-)

Add NYC to that one!.

The jax in McD's anywhere in Manhattan leaves a lot to be desired!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Dublin *is* a ****hole, I've been living here for years. There is a lot to like in it, but most of that is due to
    a) I have a job when lots don't
    b) there are more shops and pubs to choose from

Dublin is basically a biggish village with a large industrial park around it. Street begging is huge compared to some central european cities, but more on par with what you used to see in Rome. Most of it arrived with the Sweden/UK/Ireland visa allowances for Romania.

There is no middle class, unless you count the upper-working class who have had access to huge credit recently. There is a small amount of middle class but in terms of "human development" it's feudalism.

Social development is quite behind, and there is a crass vulgarity to many Dublin inhabitants; likewise, there is an equal amount of pleasant and mannerly people (usually when they want something from you).

The shining citadel of Cork, on the other hand, is a beacon of civilisation and heartland of culture. It has less traffic and more pubs than Galway, therefore it wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Social development is quite behind, and there is a crass vulgarity to many Dublin inhabitants

Ya wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sillymoo wrote: »
    Ya wha?
    Don't feed the troll! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'll let you in on a secret OP.

Dubs are a really polite and genial group of people but when we know there's a culchie around, we put on an act so that we appear to be scumbags. It's basically to prevent you fellas from liking the place and wanting to live there. Think of it like The Truman Show. When you disappeared around the corner, that fella came back and gave the busker back his money, the woman came back and paid for her food and the homeless people packed their sleeping bags into the back of their BMW and drove off after a job well done.

The only people who didn't do their job well were the two you asked for directions. They let their guard down. They were supposed to tell you "Well, you go left here, take the second right and you should see the N4 right in front of you" but they forgot their lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I asked two seperate people for directions and they were friendly and all. Both from Dublin born and bred but they didn't know where anywhere was
    This is the bit that's intriguing me. How on earth could you tell, from asking directions, that they were born in Dublin and reared there?

And they didn't know where 'anywhere' was? How many directions did you seek?

And what directions were you looking for anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is no middle class

Whats with the obsession with class? Sounds very very English to me, after all, royalty is an ultimate class thing. Its just not a Dublin thing, seems to be an issue in Cork from what I can gather.

Social development is quite behind

You can say that about anywhere, look at what has happened in Roscommon lately.
    The shining citadel of Cork

I love Cork. I love the English market, the city is just not as friendly as Dublin. The surrounding county is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

bealbocht wrote: »
    I was buying drugs at the time so was a bit suspicous of the guy.. ;-).
    Collie D wrote: »
    Haha, one of the funniest lines I've read on Boards in a while.

Personally I think ...

The shining citadel of Cork, on the other hand, is a beacon of civilisation and heartland of culture.
    ^^is one of the funniest lines ever typed onto Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

i guess you wont be coming back to Dublin anytime soon then?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The shining citadel of Cork, on the other hand, is a beacon of civilisation and heartland of culture. It has less traffic and more pubs than Galway, therefore it wins.

Galway,who the fook mentioned Galway. I notice you don't even call Cork a city, a citadel,thats a walled village isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dublin *is* a ****hole, I've been living here for years.

Allow us to help:

:D

train.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The only problems I have in Dublin are the tourists being loud and obnoxious and walking really slowly. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Nice post Wompa, but how come you've none of the usual late-night horror stories, did you have to head home to watch the Late Late :-)
    And I'd be interested in hearing how you knew most people were upper class, did they have scarfs or talk funny ?

Next time I'd recommend a trip to Dundrum shopping centre, you'd love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

jesus OP id hate to see how you'd react if something bad actually happened to you!!i'm from dublin,lived here all my life and love the place.it's not perfect,yes there's homlessness and begging,not very much can be done about that i'm afraid. and i can't believe you're sending the whole city down because one or two people didnt know your directions.they may not be dubs and they may not go to the city often.
    i find your comments obnoxious and ignorant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am locking this thread as it has ran its course.I am off to the Galway forum to complain about to many hippies and way to much rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement