Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged for ambulance that doc ordered?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This may be slightly off-topic for this forum, but I couldn't think of the best forum to post this on. My husband suffers from crohns and last June was hospitalised with a blockage. He was transported from the doctors office to the hospital by ambulance as he was just too ill to travel by car, the doctor called the ambulance.

However, this morning a bill of €87 arrived for that ambulance (this is the first time we've been billed for it). I always thought if the doc called the ambulance then you weren't charged, also, he was treated as a public patient in the hospital (he has since purchased VHI). Should we contest this bill/pay it/ignore it? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

OP - if you don't get an answer in a couple of days, just send me a PM and I'll move it (dunno where yet, but I'll think of something :))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its entirely normal to be charged for ambulance services, unless you have a medical card. The charges vary from region to region. Different organisations provide ambulance services- some of which may be free, others not. For example- ambulance services in the Dublin region tend to be provided by the Fire Brigade, or were you to attend a public event- its possible that the ambulance may be from a private organisation such as the Order of Malta, or even a private company altogether.

In some cases ambulance charges may be waived (such as hardship), these cases would normally be assessed on a case by case basis.

Ambulance charges are specifically excluded from coverage under the European Health Insurance Card- if you get sick elsewhere in Europe with your card- similarly to here, you will eventually get an ambulance bill.

Unfortunately ambulance charges for call-outs are indeed normal.

Similarly- if you call the firebrigade- there is a schedule of fees to be paid, depending on the type of fire, number of units in attendance etc.

Its been this way for years- sorry.

Here is a quick page from the citizens advice bureau on ambulance services and charges here

The confusion over the bill may have arisen because if a doctor refers a public patient to A&E they are not obliged to pay the public fee- whereas if they turn up at A&E without a letter of referral from their doctor- they have to pay the A&E charge. This is treated in a seperate manner to the ambulance charges however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks so much, that was very concise and clear, I am indeed probably thinking of the A&E charges being waived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

every forum should have an smccarrick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Does anyone know how much the hse pays the privates??? and how much the privates make on an average patient transfer.. Is this another case of wasted public money or is the hse getting value for money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi all,

This may be slightly off-topic for this forum, but I couldn't think of the best forum to post this on. My husband suffers from crohns and last June was hospitalised with a blockage. He was transported from the doctors office to the hospital by ambulance as he was just too ill to travel by car, the doctor called the ambulance.

However, this morning a bill of €87 arrived for that ambulance (this is the first time we've been billed for it). I always thought if the doc called the ambulance then you weren't charged, also, he was treated as a public patient in the hospital (he has since purchased VHI). Should we contest this bill/pay it/ignore it? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

when was in the knights of malta many years ago they told us to always get a garda to call the ambulance cause then its paid for by the state......

Advertisement