Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elocution Lessons

Options
  • 28-01-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Dear Boardies

Can anyone here please tell me where I could attend an elocution class in Dublin City?

I have difficulty projecting my voice, being heard and sometimes I stumble on words when nervous. It's almost like I don't open my mouth wide enough and I sound like a mouse! Sometimes, people don't hear me speak at all and it's like I'm mumbling.

I don't think I am confident enough to do a drama class...it's been years since I was involved in drama and I was hopeless at improvisation back then. I don't seem to have that flamboyant streak needed for drama! I can be quite self consious.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Thanks! I need to escape my shell!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

If you're over eighteen I can't recommend Toastmasters enough for building confidence and improving public speaking and communication skills. Check it out online and you'll find meetings near where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Outlander

Pikasso wrote: »
    If you're over eighteen I can't recommend Toastmasters enough for building confidence and improving public speaking and communication skills. Check it out online and you'll find meetings near where you live.

Thanks Pikasso! Might check it out if I have time. In meantime I have solved my problem, I simply speak louder! I also dug deep and remembered some breathing exercises from voice training I had a few years back when I sang with a choir! Oh happy days! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Thanks Pikasso! Might check it out if I have time. In meantime I have solved my problem, I simply speak louder! I also dug deep and remembered some breathing exercises from voice training I had a few years back when I sang with a choir! Oh happy days! ha ha
    I don't know if you are in the Dublin area but for anyone who is and wants to check out Toastmasters read on..

The club I am in , Clontarf Marino Toastmasters, are having their first meeting in their new venue , Clontarf Castle, on wednesday , April 29th.

the meeting begins at 8.15 and finishes at 10:30.

we break for tea and coffee at about 9:00 and some people go to the bar afterwards ( some don't..its up to you )

anyone who wants to come along and see what happens at a Toastmasters meeting is very welcome to attend and there is no cover charge for visitors ( non members ). You will most definitely be entertained.

for further information on Clontarf Marino Toastmasters please check out www.clontarfmarino.com

kind regards,

Gollem

Advertisement