Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What now, no idea?

• 28-01-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm 23 and was told yesterday I'm being let go from my job friday.
    I've applied for other jobs already but if nothing comes up what can I claim or do as an alternative if nothing comes up? I'm still living at home with my parents, I'm single and I've no dependents. I've been working since May last year after I finished college.

I don't really know anything abut the dole or what there is out there to claim I've never been in this position before.
    I'm going to New Zealand in May to work does that change anything?

I know I'm only 23 but I've supported myself since I was 18 through college, paid my own fees (my dad was just barely over the income limit for grants), my own rent for 4yrs, managed to get myself a car and keep it going. I've worked for everything up to now. Now I don't know what to do next, I did civil engineering in college and there is nothing out there now.

Thanks in advance,

Jemmy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Alittlebit

Sorry to hear you're losing your job man.
    You just have to go in to your local social welfare office and ask for the forms.

You'll probably get about 110-140 euro a week since your living with your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Yea afraid your benefit will be tested as your are under 25 living with parents.

Did you know you should have received minimum 1 weeks notice from your employer or pay in leiu of such!
    find out if your are entitled to any redundancy! Once you are employed 2 years you are entitled to five weeks pay min, 2 weeks per year plus bonus week. that could be anything up to 3k to tie your over until your claim come through.

Best of luck, hope it works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Alittlebit wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're losing your job man.
    You just have to go in to your local social welfare office and ask for the forms.

You'll probably get about 110-140 euro a week since your living with your parents.

That only applies until you are 24. This explains it.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/means-test-for-social-welfare-payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Yea afraid your benefit will be tested as your are under 25 living with parents.

Did you know you should have received minimum 1 weeks notice from your employer or pay in leiu of such!
    find out if your are entitled to any redundancy! Once you are employed 2 years you are entitled to five weeks pay min, 2 weeks per year plus bonus week. that could be anything up to 3k to tie your over until your claim come through.

Best of luck, hope it works out!

Well like i said I've only been working there since may so not due anything unfortunately.

I've lived away from home for 3 years before does that change things?
    I trid reading up on that link but it just confuses me, I think dropping in is probably the best thing.

Thanks tho

Advertisement