Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation monday to friday.ie?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of this website? and if so is it good or bad?

I have a 2nd bedroom that i could rent out and it would really help finances at the mo, but just wondering what its like.
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

andreac wrote: »

They're still getting ready to launch. They're taking their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh really? god thats slow alright.
    Is there anywhere else that you can find out about that kind of rental, just renting for mid week maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Oh really? god thats slow alright.
    Is there anywhere else that you can find out about that kind of rental, just renting for mid week maybe?

maybe put an add on myhome.ie or daft.ie and state that it is monday to friday only, and see what happens, all you can do is try!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 glombard8

I contacted the website, they were really nice, they said they are trying to populate their database with homeowners who have rooms to rent. They want to have around 40 homeowners in the database before they officially launch. They're offering the first 40 free of charge. I just signed up for free - nothing to lose. They expect to launch in a few weeks. Hope this helps. The website is a bit of a mouthful www.accommodationmondaytofriday.ie
    G

I have a 2nd bedroom that i could rent out and it would really help finances at the mo, but just wondering what its like.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shellymcg

where are you looking to rent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 limerick_guy

Just to let you know. I contacted this crowd today as I had a room in my house to rent out. so i filled in their form upload a pic of the room, so i'm now up on their system. i agree with u on the launching. they said that my room won't be visible to the public until they officially launch. i asked them when wud they launch and they said they're looking at about 2 weeks-when they fill their system with the 40 free rooms. but this suits me fine as i need to give the room a lick of paint!! lol. any for me the service was free so i can't complain.
    John
    ps-if anyone is looking for a room in limerick to rent - but only during the week, give me a shout. i'm only renting it for Mon, tue, wed and thursday thi.
    glombard8 wrote: »
    I contacted the website, they were really nice, they said they are trying to populate their database with homeowners who have rooms to rent. They want to have around 40 homeowners in the database before they officially launch. They're offering the first 40 free of charge. I just signed up for free - nothing to lose. They expect to launch in a few weeks. Hope this helps. The website is a bit of a mouthful www.accommodationmondaytofriday.ie
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Owners need to get real. Nobody wants to rent a room for 5 days a week.
    Rents are in freefall and tenants they can get any number of places without having to deal with an a narky owner occupier who was forced into renting a room. The amount of stories you hear about owner occupiers having their 'private' rooms and rules about tv, kitchen useage. Its disgusting.

If a room rents in a standard house for €400 a week then a 5 day a week owner occupied room should rent for about €130.

And to the two lads above (business owner I'm guessing) you might want to rethink your business model which is doomed to fail. Charging at both ends will result in no lodgers and then no homeowners.
    Lodgers
    Restricted access to the Homeowners database is FREE! Full unrestricted access to the Homeowners database for a one month period costs €10.

What is Restricted access?

Restricted access allows the user to browse the Homeowners database showing pictures of rooms, general location of the property and the associated facilities of the property. However it does not allow the user to contact the property owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 navanman2008

Two things,
    1) Renting from Monday to Friday may suit some people. I know my folks are considering renting out a room in the house during the week. Because the extra income would come in handy and because they have the room back for the weekend should any of us come home.
    2)So what if the two lads above are the business owners? Good for them. At least they are trying something. It's encouragement they should be getting not criticism. Typically begrudgery, why can't you say something positive. God help the country if we all had the same attitude as you.
    Owners need to get real. Nobody wants to rent a room for 5 days a week.
    Rents are in freefall and tenants they can get any number of places without having to deal with an a narky owner occupier who was forced into renting a room. The amount of stories you hear about owner occupiers having their 'private' rooms and rules about tv, kitchen useage. Its disgusting.

If a room rents in a standard house for €400 a week then a 5 day a week owner occupied room should rent for about €130.

And to the two lads above (business owner I'm guessing) you might want to rethink your business model which is doomed to fail. Charging at both ends will result in no lodgers and then no homeowners.

1) Renting from Monday to Friday may suit some people. I know my folks are considering renting out a room in the house during the week. Because the extra income would come in handy and because they have the room back for the weekend should any of us come home.
    2)So what if the two lads above are the business owners? Good for them. At least they are trying something. It's encouragement they should be getting not criticism. Typically begrudgery, why can't you say something positive. God help the country if we all had the same attitude as you.

1. Great, but what is in it for the tenant over a standard house share?
    2. I make it 3 lads now ;). Criticism is good for a business. Why do you think so many places invite customer comments?
    Assume I am crazy enough to want to live in an owner occupied house for 5 days a week. I've found a decent looking house that I would like to see. Then I find out I have to pay €10 to contact the person. I will then close the page and go onto daft which has thousands of lodging ads at no cost to me.

ps. Could you not have chosen such a generic username. Navanman? Limerick guy? All aboard from November 2008. Just come out and say its your business, this sort of guerilla marketing just makes you look dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Has anyone tried FAS for letting out a room. I have a friend who lives near a fas center and has given fas his name and number for people who come for courses and need somewhere to stay they only seem to stay for monday to friday and go back home the weekend. The money would not be that good but it would be something to pay some bills. Hope this helps someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 baralis

I'd be willing to take part in such a scheme. I'm currently sharing a house with others and am never there at weekends. I would have no problem sharing with an occupier/landlord for five days a week if I was just paying 5/7 days rent, share of the bills etc.
    I would however have to have full access/use of all common areas and facilities of the house for the five days i.e. kitchen, washing machines, living room, tv etc.

I can't believe I'm even engaging with you on this issue.
    Firstly, I am in no way, shape or form involved with Accommodation Monday to Friday. Although judging by your comments you must have some gripe against them (maybe you should bring them to the small claims court also, for simply existing). I suspect that the tenant gets to pay less on a weekly basis if he/she only rents for a few days. More and more people have long commutes these days and want to get home to their familys on the week-ends. So instead of paying the full weekly whack, the tenant would only pay a percentage - makes sense to me.
    "Assume I am crazy" - believe me I made that assumption some time ago. Anyone who has made 1272 posts in a nine month period (nearly 5 posts a day) and who professes himself to be 'Expert' probably has been sitting in the dark room with the computer for too long. Maybe you should get out more often. Try speaking to real people - mind you, be aware that they may respond to you pontifications. It's more difficult debating in person.
    1. Great, but what is in it for the tenant over a standard house share?
    2. I make it 3 lads now ;). Criticism is good for a business. Why do you think so many places invite customer comments?
    Assume I am crazy enough to want to live in an owner occupied house for 5 days a week. I've found a decent looking house that I would like to see. Then I find out I have to pay €10 to contact the person. I will then close the page and go onto daft which has thousands of lodging ads at no cost to me.

ps. Could you not have chosen such a generic username. Navanman? Limerick guy? All aboard from November 2008. Just come out and say its your business, this sort of guerilla marketing just makes you look dishonest.

More and more people have long commutes these days and want to get home to their familys on the week-ends.

Quoted almost verbatim from their own website. You're fooling nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Renting from Monday to Friday may suit some people. I know my folks are considering renting out a room in the house during the week. Because the extra income would come in handy and because they have the room back for the weekend should any of us come home.

So I take it that means the Monday-to-Friday lodger isn't able to leave any personal belongings in the room over the weekend??? That is SO impractical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 baralis

From my reading of the website, the lodger's room would contain their belongings for all seven days, they just won't be in the house at the weekend. I suppose it means that the landlord can relax in the comfort of their own home without having to share their tv, kitchen, make smalltalk etc with a stranger at the weekend.

Its designed for people who are desparate for money but just don't want any of the hassle of living with somebody. What if a
    lodger gets sick on Friday and feels just like hitting the bed for two days. Can't do it.

It's taken me a while to figure this out but now I'm convinced. You're the owner of www.accommodationmondaytofriday.ie aren't you? I should have spotted it earlier. Good tactic mate!!!
    Quoted almost verbatim from their own website. You're fooling nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Has already been pointed out - but this business model is flawed. I have rented out rooms for the past three years as an owner occupier. Most of the roomies have ended up being mon-friday occupants. This is not by my manipulation - just their circumstances.

The idea that the room can be used by someone else at the weekend - is ridiculous. How the hell would that work? Do you expect people to move all their stuff out on Friday evening and then move it all back in on Monday Morning!!? Furthermore, I wouldnt feel all to happy about staying in a room that somene else has been using during the weekend.

The second point is that I have always used daft. Its free for advertising room share - its recognised by 99% of the renting public and does all it needs to do - breaking it down county by county and town by town and allows upload of pics. Why would I pay for a service that has no credibility (yet) and is not recognised by anyone so they're not going to surf over to it in the first place? myhometolet.ie also offer a similar service (albeit that its not as well recognised or used - and not set out as clearly as daft).

Being that you cannot expect people to move all their stuff out over the weekend, then regardless of the fact they are not their 2/7 nights per week, they are renting the room 7/7 nights per week as their stuff is in it and its not possilbe to make proper use of the room if that is the case. I once had a roomie expect that I shouldnt have to charge him rent because he was going on holidays for two weeks. I wasn't long in educating him that if his stuff is in the room then the room is no good to me. Even if he cleared it out, am I free to rent out the room in that time? No.
    I don't like to knock anyones ideas but you are not bringing anything new to the table here. Don't waste your time on it any more than you already have because it simply will not work.

I hear what you're saying Eurorunner, but I think this idea of using the room over the weekend is a non runner.
    I see the advantages to the Lodger as being that he/she won't have to pay a full weeks rental.
    The advantage for the Owner is that they get rental income but still can have the comfort and privacy of their home over the weekend period.
    Eurorunner wrote: »
    Has already been pointed out - but this business model is flawed. I have rented out rooms for the past three years as an owner occupier. Most of the roomies have ended up being mon-friday occupants. This is not by my manipulation - just their circumstances.

The idea that the room can be used by someone else at the weekend - is ridiculous. How the hell would that work? Do you expect people to move all their stuff out on Friday evening and then move it all back in on Monday Morning!!? Furthermore, I wouldnt feel all to happy about staying in a room that somene else has been using during the weekend.

The second point is that I have always used daft. Its free for advertising room share - its recognised by 99% of the renting public and does all it needs to do - breaking it down county by county and town by town and allows upload of pics. Why would I pay for a service that has no credibility (yet) and is not recognised by anyone so they're not going to surf over to it in the first place? myhometolet.ie also offer a similar service (albeit that its not as well recognised or used - and not set out as clearly as daft).

Being that you cannot expect people to move all their stuff out over the weekend, then regardless of the fact they are not their 2/7 nights per week, they are renting the room 7/7 nights per week as their stuff is in it and its not possilbe to make proper use of the room if that is the case. I once had a roomie expect that I shouldnt have to charge him rent because he was going on holidays for two weeks. I wasn't long in educating him that if his stuff is in the room then the room is no good to me. Even if he cleared it out, am I free to rent out the room in that time? No.
    I don't like to knock anyones ideas but you are not bringing anything new to the table here. Don't waste your time on it any more than you already have because it simply will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Its designed for people who are desparate for money but just don't want any of the hassle of living with somebody. What if a
    lodger gets sick on Friday and feels just like hitting the bed for two days. Can't do it.

Can anyone from the pro-Monday to Friday side answer that one? Will the sick tenant get "weekend evicted"?

P.

• Advertisement

I suspect the answer is no. I assume the Lodger and tenant will have some sort of agreement/contract. You rent out the room for say 4 or 5 days for x amount. The room is not used in your absense. The lodger pays less than if he/she was going to be staying all week. Looks like its a win win for both lodger and owner??
    oceanclub wrote: »
    Can anyone from the pro-Monday to Friday side answer that one? Will the sick tenant get "weekend evicted"?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

glombard8 wrote: »
    I suspect the answer is no. I assume the Lodger and tenant will have some sort of agreement/contract. You rent out the room for say 4 or 5 days for x amount. The room is not used in your absense. The lodger pays less than if he/she was going to be staying all week. Looks like its a win win for both lodger and owner??

Does that mean the lodger would have to pay for the extra days? I'm presuming there is some kind of standard contract for these situations, rather than each landlord/tenant having to come up with their own.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Isnt it a case that common sense kicks in. When you have someone thats going to stay mon-fri 95% of the time, if thats of benefit to the landlord, then he/she's more likely to offer a slightly better deal or maybe not be as quick to raise rent as time goes on.
    Personally speaking, it goes down to the individual. You could have someone staying 24/7 thats little or no hassle and fits in well or you could have someone staying 5days a week and your sickened by their very presence.

The bottom line remains that this service will not get off the ground as a 'paid for' service as whilst daft may not present it quite the same, they are effectively hooking up tenants with landlords via their house share section for free.

As an example, I currently have an ad on daft and I would not consider placing one on this new site for two main reasons. 1. payment required. 2. it has no covereage right now.
    I suppose if it became very popular, then I could justify the outlay - but thats simply not going to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

oceanclub wrote: »

P.

I'd say people would use a bit of cop on and come to some agreement. Reading these posts you'd think this stuff was rocket science. We rented out a room from Sunday night to Thursday night for years. It wasn't particularly hard, it was beneficial to us and our lodger and there was no major hassle. If the guy wanted to stay a Friday or Saturday night once in a blue moon we didn't have a fit. Either your lodger is great and you don't charge him for an odd extra night, or he's average and you have a rate and if it happens too often in either case you renegotiate or get rid of him.

I agree with Eurorunner above though. The site needs to be free, at least for the start. How many people have they lost while they're waiting to start the site because people homeowners aren't signing up. There are probably homeowners waiting to see how it goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- if you have an issue with what someone has posted- use the report post function (the ! sign in a triangle at the bottom left of the pane).

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement