Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2009 intake

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

just curious to know who is starting in the garda reserves on 21st of feburary this year and were your from ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Cause it would be interesting to see how many people on boards are going down...ive talked to a lot of people on this who have been a great help and given me some good advice so i would like to put a face to there names and thank them in person!anyway i was told I would more than likely be going down but havent heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

bazjnr wrote: »
    why?

Why not? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 s-specter-k

so have either of you gotten your date for the medical ?

I had mine last wed...just waiting on a fone call!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Hey im finding myself in the same boat as yourself

applied for the reserves over a year ago, cant wait to get the call not too sure when but

i spoke last week on the phone and i was also told the next reserve intake is for feb 27th but it could change with the way the country is at the moment.

They also told me my application was just about there so hope i do make it down for the 27th

but in saying this i have not been called for my medical yet will this make a big diffrence???

im new to this board so if theres anything im not aloowed talk about regarding are applications i would like to be corrected :L

thanks

well have you done your interview or just sent in aplication ? ???
    i started in the october intake last year and im just waiting on my medical it's due the 12th of february and i was told once i get past that i go to templemore for the training.

yes i have done everything all im waiting on is a phone call
    so hoping il get called for feb do you need your medical be4 u begin training?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

yes i have done everything all im waiting on is a phone call
    so hoping il get called for feb do you need your medical be4 u begin training?

you do need to have the medical done before you are allowed into the college. Hopefully you do get the 27th feb

Once you do medical your waiting on intake...and its the 21st not the 27th....you get an email asking you to attend the college and they have started sending out the emails so if you havent had medical or have it with in the next week id say its unlikely you will be kin feb intake

• Advertisement

i have my medical on the 12th so hopefully all goes well just hoping they dont take to long sending out the e-mail to me since its only a week apart from the training on the 21st. did it take long to get your e-mail ?

The intake for the new applicants start on the 27th you should get a letter in the post around that time.

should i ring them up regarding my medical incase there was a misunderstanding and there awaiting my test resutls from the medical??

i was sent a medical form from the garda but nothing regarding dates

should i ring them up and see whats happening with a medical??

also to specter when was it that you first applied as i applied in december 2007 :(

Took nine days for me to recieve word!

should i ring them up regarding my medical incase there was a misunderstanding and there awaiting my test resutls from the medical??

i was sent a medical form from the garda but nothing regarding dates

should i ring them up and see whats happening with a medical??

also to specter when was it that you first applied as i applied in december 2007 :(

yes you should definatly ring up the number is 01-6662322 for the garda HQ just tell them you didnt recieve a date i was told thursday is the last medical examination thats the one i am going for its at half 8 in Garda HQ and you need to bring that form signed by your GP.
    You should ring them as soon as you can if you just show up I doubt they'll let you do it.
    I first sent my application in october but there was alot of times with long delays were i would'nt here a word from them for weeks.

let me know how it goes with the phone call

Thanks for the number speckter k

I rang them up and they said my file is still ongoing.
    he said its just about done and its all up to the garda commisoner to approve of me now
    after that he will send it back to them and let me no if im in or not
    It will be then i will be giving a date for a medical.

Does anybody no how long the commisoner usualy takes with decidng on apllications??

They said there will be 5 garda reserves intakes during 2009 so hopefuly i will be included in the one after Feb

Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

does the commissioner personally look through every application & approve?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

towel401 wrote: »
    does the commissioner personally look through every application & approve?

I'd very much doubt he'd be doin them himself,he'd probably have other senior officers doing it for him on his behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mf1979

Hi I wonder If there is any one going for 21 Feb driving ?mind giving me lift :)I live in dublin(ranelagh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mf1979

Hi I am going for 21 intake
    I am from dub-ranelagh.
    How are you getting to Templemore?Driving or train?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

well folks,

how'd the weekend go, what can ye tell us about it?

• Advertisement

Was a very good weekend...staff and instructors are very nice and helpful! good to meet some many different peolple with the same interests as yourself!

glad it went well hope i get to go down myself soon if im accepted

what happens regarding accomdation do you get your own or is it provided by the college??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

Lads am 19 am looking to join the guard full time Have applied to join the reserves what is the training like for the reserves ? Thanks lads

Innercity Accommodation is provide by the college down there. They have dorms usually for reserves. I know a little bit bought them. :pac: have u applied ?

Hey dubhoy thanks for the info yes i have applied

waiting nearly a year and half

getting worried as to how long it will take

Ive been told my application has been held up cause of backround checks.
    I dont no why this may be as nobody in my family have ever been involved with the law. However the flat complex i live in, most of the resdents are or have been in prison at some stage of there life.

I asked a garda would this effect my application and he told me not to worry. Maybe 40 years ago but the garda are realy trying to get members of the inner city community to join up with the force today.This assured me a great deal as i have witnesed the garda in the community realy trying to create a bound with community centres ,old folks ,youth clubs in the last few years.

The only other thing i could think of why my backround check is taking so long is if the garda are checking what type of relationship i have with many of the resdents from my flat and surrounding complexes.

Not realy worried about this as myself and my family kinda keep to ourself

well hope someone might have some information on this subject.

Ya Hopefully it's just something small. I am also living in the innercity they are crying for guards for these prime areas. I have apply so just waiting for the interview and stuff like that :):):). have being in templemore with a young group I work with looks like great crack. If I can help ya with anything more drop me a Pm. k pal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Dubbhoy wrote: »
    Lads am 19 am looking to join the guard full time Have applied to join the reserves what is the training like for the reserves ? Thanks lads

have a look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055178746 where their are some really good insights into just about every possible aspect of the Garda Reserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

The training is basis enough, alot of the training you receive is done on phase 4 (being out and about). After that, just stick close to the regular member and take in what he/she says. After a while you will gain more knowledge in the job and what you do as a reserve. In saying that Phase 1 to 3 gives you some good legal and self defense experience and gives you a small insight to what you could be doing in the regular force. Hope that helps!:)

The training is basis enough, alot of the training you receive is done on phase 4 (being out and about). After that, just stick close to the regular member and take in what he/she says. After a while you will gain more knowledge in the job and what you do as a reserve. In saying that Phase 1 to 3 gives you some good legal and self defense experience and gives you a small insight to what you could be doing in the regular force. Hope that helps!:)

Thanks a lot Munster, Is it academically hard ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Thanks a lot Munster, Is it academically hard ? :rolleyes:

No the tests are easy enough but you will need to know what you are doing out in the beat as you will be dealing with the public and sometimes in hard situations but rest assured you will always be with a regular who has ample experience in dealing with most situations. The legal studies are a bit of a mouth full with a near 300 page book to take in, in only a few weeks, but if you have the intent to join the regulars this would only be starters for studies. Hope that helps.:)

Advertisement