Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the greater good?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Alright, here's one I've been thinking about.
    Hypothetical situation: Let's say you find yourself in a utopian society (future, alternate dimension, new planet what have you). Everything is (near enough) perfect. There's no war, no bigotry, no racism, no violence. Everyone is happy.
    The only catch is everyone subscribes to this wacky religion (none in particular, some hypothetical one).
    Now, would you be happy to play along for the sake of people's happiness or would you strive to make the truth known (the truth can be atheism or your prefered religion - as not to exclude anyone), knowing that there is a chance that the wonderful society might fall apart due to your meddling?

Basically it boils down to which is more important to you; the truth or keeping the masses happy?

Comments

Oh, good question...

I'd be quite happy and content living as a secret atheist among the society, as long as the prevalent religion didn't retard science or scientific enquiry. If it did, then I'd fight for the truth; there's no point living in a happy society, if it's a scientifically stupid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If everyone was happy i'd keep my gob shut. no point rocking the boat if only unhappiness can arrise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Oh, good question...

I'd be quite happy and content living as a secret atheist among the society, as long as the prevalent religion didn't retard science or scientific enquiry. If it did, then I'd fight for the truth; there's no point living in a happy society, if it's a scientifically stupid one.

+1

Edit: I'll probably change my answer later, though, if/when my brain wakes up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh, good question...

Not sure I agree with that...

Personally I'd probably keep quiet unless the religion started to interfere with the society to any significant degree. Like if everything was perfect, except... every 3 months a baby was sacrificed to the FSM. That would kinda wreck the buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I think I need more details to be able to answer this. What effects does this whacky religion have? Do you have to partake in silly ceremonies? Daily? Weekly? Does it affect healthcare in anyway, with regard to choice... Think blood transfusions to save someone etc.

This being said, I don't know really. Perhaps it would be best to leave well enough alone if you look at the big picture, though I somehow doubt I could sit there and say nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hypothetical situation: Let's say you find yourself in a utopian society (future, alternate dimension, new planet what have you). Everything is (near enough) perfect. There's no war, no bigotry, no racism, no violence. Everyone is happy.
    The only catch is everyone subscribes to this wacky religion (none in particular, some hypothetical one).
    Now, would you be happy to play along for the sake of people's happiness or would you strive to make the truth known (the truth can be atheism or your prefered religion - as not to exclude anyone), knowing that there is a chance that the wonderful society might fall apart due to your meddling?

Basically it boils down to which is more important to you; the truth or keeping the masses happy?

Without a doubt, the truth. I'd also be pretty convinced that I wasn't the only one who held my view in secret. Plenty of wacky religions already keep masses happy but I would see no problem in striving to make the truth known to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It is an interesting question but I think it turns some what into an oxymoron, bit like asking "Would you kill to end all violence", as I don't believe such a utopian soceity could exist with religion almost by definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote: »
    I don't believe such a utopian soceity could exist with religion almost by definition.
    Do you believe it could exist without religion? Serious question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

For me it depends on what you mean by "play along".

Could you live your life and ignore it, or would there be compulsory stuff you'd need to be involved with? The whole "worship" thing would have to be optional, as I'd imagine that would be the hardest part to stomach.

Anything like this, and I'd rebel! :pac:

PDN wrote: »

I think they could be right. Its hard to imagine a utopian society when it requires EVERYONE to believe in the one idea. no belief is probably the only way i can imagine it happening

• Advertisement

I think a Utopian society would require the removal of more than religion - and it would take mass lobotomies.

We're nowhere even near it in our present evolutionary state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I would automatically assume that I am in one of the early iterations of the Matrix... before they realised that humanity is not even capable of believing a utopia society, never mind actually creating one. :pac: :pac:

Seriously though. Everyone happy.... will never ever ever ever ever happen. That is, of course, unless god does exist and we do attain high level of spirituality and exist in heaven on earth.

jimbling wrote: »
    Seriously though. Everyone happy.... will never ever ever ever ever happen. That is, of course, unless god does exist and we do attain high level of spirituality and exist in heaven on earth.

or they start giving away everything for free :D

The only way a utopian society could exist with a religion would be if that religion was confirmed to be true: but, that's likely never to happen. The only way it could exist with atheism would be if all religions were confirmed false: but, that's likely never to happen.

So going by that, a utopian society can never exist. But, I think in the current world, it would be easier to achieve one with atheism than with any particular religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »

No, not really. I don't think such a utopia is feasible simply because of the way humans are. The only way such a utopia would be possible is to drastically physically alter humans, for example using some kind of drug or physical/mental alteration.

Which is why ideas such as anarchism and communism, which ultimately rely on trusting the goodness of humans, worry me.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, as I said famously yesterday at dinner

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Let's say you find yourself in a utopian society (future, alternate dimension, new planet what have you). Everything is (near enough) perfect. There's no war, no bigotry, no racism, no violence. Everyone is happy. [...] Now, would you be happy to play along for the sake of people's happiness or would you strive to make the truth known
    This sounds a plotline from the Star Trek; in fact, I'm fairly sure it is :)

Regardless, I suppose you'd have to consider what the ultimate goal of society should be, but do so on behalf of everybody else, and they figure out what course of action could bring that about. If you decide that the highest aim of people is (and should be) to be happy, then I suppose it's reasonable to leave them as they are. However, if this happiness requires some bizarre view of the world as most (all?) religions do, then I can't imagine that any society would be stable enough to self-propagate peacefully unless at least a reasonable portion of the population is able to see reality as it is, and not as they'd like to think that it is -- requiring the universal religion-based happiness at least to be questioned by their reality-based members, if not actively doubted too. So, I suppose that Wicknight's on target and such a society is pretty much impossible.

Reversing the problem's polarity -- most religious people seem to think that they are introducing happiness into an unhappy world and are prepared to do whatever it takes to do that, including ignoring the risk of a breach of the peace.

So if there is an analogy between your idea and religions as they do operate, then it seems that an awful lot of people (religious propagators) who are presented with a similar dilemma choose to "inform", so I'd expect that in this notional world, any reality-based humans would choose to default against the prevailing ideology too, with all the risks that this would entail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

It would work if it was the "Church of Richard Dawkins" :P

Good Question though, but impossible to anwer, I guess Id have no problem telling people I didn't believe in it , after all there is no bigotry so surely they would accept me no matter what I believe???

BUT, if I did know that my non belief was going to affect this perfect world, then yea Id just play along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Utopian communities already do exist and have long existed, based around religions and ideologies. However they only work on a small scale, and the religious ones tend to last the longest.

If this hypothetical religion had managed to improve all individuals to a sufficient degree so as to produce a perfect society, and it was not Christianity (though it does sound a lot like a Christian utopia), the very fact of its perfection would make me doubt that Christianity was true, and I hope that it would also make atheists doubt.
    The only way a utopian society could exist with a religion would be if that religion was confirmed to be true: but, that's likely never to happen. The only way it could exist with atheism would be if all religions were confirmed false: but, that's likely never to happen.

So going by that, a utopian society can never exist. But, I think in the current world, it would be easier to achieve one with atheism than with any particular religion.

It would make more sense to think that it could be achieved with religion if proven true, than with atheism if that was proven true. This is because religions generally command acts conducive to peace, while atheism does not require anything. Indeed, if atheism was proven true, all moral restraints on human brutality would instantly and irretrievably melt away.
    Wicknight wrote: »
    No, not really. I don't think such a utopia is feasible simply because of the way humans are. The only way such a utopia would be possible is to drastically physically alter humans, for example using some kind of drug or physical/mental alteration.

Which is why ideas such as anarchism and communism, which ultimately rely on trusting the goodness of humans, worry me.

I agree, possibly for the first time ever with you.

Húrin wrote: »
    Indeed, if atheism was proven true, all moral restraints on human brutality would instantly and irretrievably melt away.
    Nice to know the only thing stopping you from a hedonistic, murderous rampage is a dusty old book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    Nice to know the only thing stopping you from a hedonistic, murderous rampage is a dusty old book.
    Rather worrying too, since there are at least two other regular Other-Forum posters who say exactly the same thing.

Makes you wonder how many of your average church-going population struggle with similar demons.

• Advertisement

Utopian communities already do exist and have long existed

eh... what? where? when? how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Assuming everything was actually perfect, I'd leave it. But if it was just seen to be perfect, I'd......destroy.

robindch wrote: »
    Rather worrying too, since there are at least two other regular Other-Forum posters who say exactly the same thing.

Makes you wonder how many of your average church-going population struggle with similar demons.

the amount of people who can't grasp the fact that morality lies outside religion is absolutely phenomenal.

When I told my mother that I was agnostic (I couldn't bring myself to tell her I was an atheist) she immediately started crying and saying how would my children know right from wrong* :eek: :eek:

* What's most bizarre is that I don't even have children :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I think the time has come to petition for a law to handle these folks.

If they're admitting that the only thing keeping them from these sorts of crimes is their religious belief, we need a secret religious police who spy on all church goers. If at any stage they seem to waver they need to be locked up in a Gitmo type system and re-educated before release. I know this sounds harsh, but after all it's for all our good, how many children will be murdered by these people who can't control their murderous impulses on their own? This is no time for liberal secular sensibilities, someone please think of the little ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

You surely do not read this in my post do you? What stops you from committing acts of brutality? Conscience? Sure we all have one of those. But what makes you think that it can be applied to anyone else? You couldn't say that anyone else is doing something wrong because it goes against your conscience. Christians know that this moral conscience points to a universal moral law.

The other thing that you (probably deliberately) fail to grasp is that Christians internalise our morality with the help of the holy spirit. It is not a matter of external compulsion.
    jimbling wrote: »
    the amount of people who can't grasp the fact that morality lies outside religion is absolutely phenomenal.

Why do you all have such a simplistic view of morality? You're just reverting to assumptions about what my arguments are.

Without religion there is no objective, universal morality. We have moral consciences, but these are entirely subjective, and cannot be used to extrapolate a moral law for a society let alone humanity.

Morality does exist outside religion, but in a meaningless universe, it lacks any consistent force and credibility. It relies on our feelings.

Without religion there is no objective, universal morality.
    Which religion?
    Morality does exist outside religion, but in a meaningless universe, it lacks any consistent force and credibility. It relies on our feelings.
    Better to rely on our feelings today than those of a multitude of people from a different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I suppose it would depend on how much sex I was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Why do you all have such a simplistic view of morality? You're just reverting to assumptions about what my arguments are.

Without religion there is no objective, universal morality. We have moral consciences, but these are entirely subjective, and cannot be used to extrapolate a moral law for a society let alone humanity.

Nonsense. There is nothing special about morality. It is simply unwritten rules that the human species uses in order to survive. It constantly changes over time and adapts. Your religious book looks ridiculous because you folks don't change. Don't rob your neghbours goats and all that stuff that I purposely forget.
    Each society dictates its own morals. Our current form of legislation is merely a bearuacratic version of what the species has been doing anyway for thousands of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I don't want a Utopia. To me, a Utopia is a complete antithesis, simply because some of mankinds greatest moments and progressions were born of social and political upheaval.

You can't forge anything without a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bud, morality is simply a (often unspoken) consensus reached by society on how it should run.

The fact that no religions fit perfectly into our societal consensus should be a hint that it does not function as an objective, universal guide to morality. If it did, Christians would still be stoning hookers, and Muslims would sti--ehh nevermind...

The fact that you refuse to acknowledge this is irrelevant.

Advertisement