Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving lessons rip-off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Get your own back on them, take the 6 lessons and just as you finish the last lesson crash the car......

Only messing, your entitled to what you paid for, don't back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Firstly they are skilled and trained.

You're kidding right?! 28% of them can't pass the theory test and 20% the actual driving test!!!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=cwmhkfauidqlmhmh&p=z3yx9xyz&n=23109029

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

o.p. i've just skimmed through the replies here, just on the off chance but did the driving school give you a time frame/ expiry date on when you have to use all the 20 lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

2qk4u wrote: »
    OP, Why did you pay so much for lessons ? The bigger schools are a rip off, there are some very good instructors out there charging between €35 to €40 per hour and even less for blocks of lessons..

The reason I paid the €38/hour is cos I've got a new job and they are giving my a shiny new car when I get my lessons - work paid 70% of lesson charges so I wouldn't be hugely out of pocket but thats not the point - its the fact that they are blatantly trying to rip me off! (The driving school was recommended by my manager)

Someone asked whether it was a voucher.... no it wasn't - it was an upfront payment for 20 lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

ABEasy wrote: »
    Get your own back on them, take the 6 lessons and just as you finish the last lesson crash the car......

hee hee its funny actually cos i did ask the instructor jokingly before (when I was only a real beginner) what was the story if i crashed... I'd only be liable for 300 of damage regardless of state of the car afterwards....

hmmm that raises an interesting choice!!! to demolish the car for a laugh... or use that 300 to buy myself a marshmallow castle....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

You're kidding right?! 28% of them can't pass the theory test and 20% the actual driving test!!!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=cwmhkfauidqlmhmh&p=z3yx9xyz&n=23109029

Padraig, they are trained and perhaps your point has shown that a minority of them are poorly skilled. My point was covering that majority. Thats like saying doctors are not skilled because 5% of them didnt pass their exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Padraig, they are trained and perhaps your point has shown that a minority of them are poorly skilled. My point was covering that majority. Thats like saying doctors are not skilled because 5% of them didnt pass their exams.

a driving instructors training, costs and effort put into their profession is extremly minimum to that of a doctor's.

at this moment and up to may this year any one can legally operate as a driving instructor in ireland without any formal qualifications.

its actually only from the 1st of may they are being forced to have to pass the RSA examination which consists of
    a driving instructors training consists of a theory and driving test similar to the current tests for learner drivers and a practical test of their ability to instruct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd call 28% a pretty large minority! Especially since they can't pass an exam on the ONE SINGLE THING they purport to train others in. And bear in mind that 28% failed - how many nearly failed? How many got 100%? No driving instructor should get anything less than 100% in the (easy) driving theory test. Oh and if a doctor fails their exam, they ain't allowed to practice as a doctor.....

edit: and as JackB points out, many of them have no training whatsoever, other than coughing up a few quid to join some register...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Yes I agree that they should get no less than 100% in the theory. However, the actual driving test itself is practically impossible to get 100%. I do take your point that it's not very comforting to think when your getting lessons whether the examiner is showing you the right way.

Maybe that may explain the high rate of failure and repeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yes I agree that they should get no less than 100% in the theory. However, the actual driving test itself is practically impossible to get 100%.

it's true. i got a grade 2 just because i nearly killed a dog :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement