Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little warning in advance of this weekends UFC.....

Options
  • 28-01-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think there has been such a polarising main event in quite some time. Everybody who loves MMA has an eye on this fight, an opinion on the last fight and most people have a vested interest in who wins.

There have been some long and often heated posting sessions on here about the fight. Thats all good, discussion is a great thing.

I will say right now, that the second that i see someone say "I told you so" or partake in the fine art of claiming some kind of victory over someone off a predicition that person will be banned.

There is nothing sadder than claiming some kind of glory in the hard work and efforts of other people.

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If someone is downright stupid in there opinion on how the fight will go then i dont see why people cant have a giggle at them!

acting all great because you predicted the winner is pointless as in this fight anyone can win and guessing right is 50/50 and not exactly based on superior knowledge etc..

Im still undecided on who will win or who i want to win so find peoples definite opinions quite amusing at this stage, maybe if bj wins it will make it 1 a piece and we might get a best of 3 scenario! win for all there i'd say-:D except GSP

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Firstly, i predict BJ to win by referees stoppage due to strikes after three minutes and forty five seconds of round two. It will be jab, overhand right at which point GSP will go down and BJ will miss with a big right but connect with two rights on the ground before the ref steps in.

Secondly, i am gloating when this happens.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 subvictory

Dragan wrote: »
    I don't think there has been such a polarising main event in quite some time. Everybody who loves MMA has an eye on this fight, an opinion on the last fight and most people have a vested interest in who wins.

There have been some long and often heated posting sessions on here about the fight. Thats all good, discussion is a great thing.

I will say right now, that the second that i see someone say "I told you so" or partake in the fine art of claiming some kind of victory over someone off a predicition that person will be banned.

There is nothing sadder than claiming some kind of glory in the hard work and efforts of other people.

That is all.

Your life seems to revolve around making up obscure rules on this board and banning people for whatever catches your fancy on your little powertrip. Do everyone a favor and hand over your mod duties to someone who has a scrap of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

subvictory wrote: »
    Your life seems to revolve around making up obscure rules on this board and banning people for whatever catches your fancy on your little powertrip. Do everyone a favor and hand over your mod duties to someone who has a scrap of cop on.

Haha E-Suicide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

so if you predict the outcome of a two man fight and want to discuss that you were right or not and what happened you are gonna get banned for doing so.......... an interesting rule

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

That is all.

this i dont get, who is taking glory in anyone elses hard work if they predict the outcome of a fight......?

and what harm does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Have a strong feeling BJ will take this one. Don't care for the guy very much, so will be shouting for GSP.

P.S Saturday is going to be a looooooooonnnnngggg one:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You waited 7 months for that to be your first post, strange. Mod's moderate, the mods here are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

the mods here are ok.

+1

dont get me started on the soccer mods......:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

r_obric wrote: »
    this i dont get, who is taking glory in anyone elses hard work if they predict the outcome of a fight......?

and what harm does it do?
    r_obric wrote: »
    so if you predict the outcome of a two man fight and want to discuss that you were right or not and what happened you are gonna get banned for doing so.......... an interesting rule

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Have to agree with Dragon here.
    'Hey you know that fight you had no control over but thought x would win'
    'Yeah'
    'Well you were wrong, y won.You are an idiot. You know nothing about MMA'

Now do people enjoy these sort of conversations they are pointless. Its the same with football or any sport for that matter. Grow up lads. If you predicted it correctly be happy in the knowledge that you are the all mighty overlord of predicting the outcome of fights you do not control.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Have to agree with Dragon here.
    'Hey you know that fight you had no control over but thought x would win'
    'Yeah'
    'Well you were wrong, y won.You are an idiot. You know nothing about MMA'

Now do people enjoy these sort of conversations they are pointless. Its the same with football or any sport for that matter. Grow up lads. If you predicted it correctly be happy in the knowledge that you are the all mighty overlord of predicting the outcome of fights you do not control.

In this situation posters are/will be taking credit for the accuracy of their prediction NOT there own personal influence on the fighters success. I don’t know where this other line of thinking is coming from.

Both fighters have strong fan bases and are world class fighters. UFC, the fighters themselves are promoting the fight as a particularly adversarial contest. Penn said that it will a fight to the death obvious it aint but there is still an issue between both fighters. I don’t see the problem in a little pre and post fight banter as long as posters don’t take the piss by spamming the board or start personally abusing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

rovert wrote: »
    In this situation posters are/will be taking credit for the accuracy of their prediction NOT there own personal influence on the fighters success. I don’t know where is other line of thinking is coming from.

Both fighters have strong fan bases and are world class fighters. UFC, the fighters themselves are promoting the fight as a particularly adversarial contest. Penn said that it will a fight to the death obvious it aint but there is still an issue between both fighters. I don’t see the problem in a little pre and post fight banter as long as posters don’t take the piss by spamming the board or start personally abusing people.

Got to agree with rovert, why have a UFC 94 thread in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Countermoon

Is this a joke??! Because I assume nobody would be stupid enough to post this as a serious thread. This is my 1st time on this forum (the MMA part of Boards.ie) and this is the first topic I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

i am still undecided about this fight, heart says BJ but head says GSP..
    why cant you guys just enjoy the fight..stop acting like your 10 or 11 years old.....those of you who are actually old enough(very few i pressume) to gamble and feel the need to gloat about a right prediction in this fight go to Paddy Powers and give them money and say if so and so wins i'll have this much winnings and gloat to them...ufc 94 thread is a discussion thread not a handbag throwing thread to nag at each other like little school girls..grow up and shut up...enjoy the fight lads...

Judomad wrote: »
    i am still undecided about this fight, heart says BJ but head says GSP..
    why cant you guys just enjoy the fight..stop acting like your 10 or 11 years old.....those of you who are actually old enough(very few i pressume) to gamble and feel the need to gloat about a right prediction in this fight go to Paddy Powers and give them money and say if so and so wins i'll have this much winnings and gloat to them...ufc 94 thread is a discussion thread not a handbag throwing thread to nag at each other like little school girls..grow up and shut up...enjoy the fight lads...

So you can talk smack about posters but not fighters..okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

let people have their say, this is an internet forum.

Mirwillbeback ( i think is his name ) and myself almost had a bet about the Mir fight, there was a bit of i told you soing after, I doubt either of us lost much sleep.

We'll be banned for bad spelling next.

Is this a joke??! Because I assume nobody would be stupid enough to post this as a serious thread. This is my 1st time on this forum (the MMA part of Boards.ie) and this is the first topic I see!

Unfortunately no, it is not a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

As long as there is no personal abuse or trolling I don't see why not, a polarising fight makes for exciting discussion. It is a strange rule Dragan and a bit poorly defined. Maybe you could clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Is this for real:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Valmont wrote: »
    As long as there is no personal abuse or trolling I don't see why not, a polarising fight makes for exciting discussion. It is a strange rule Dragan and a bit poorly defined. Maybe you could clarify?

Could you please do, as this could end up being a boring forum very quickly if people are getting banned for this and that. There is no harm in a bit of playful banter, its part of the fun of following and competing in a sport.

Mark
    - taking it easy

Is this for real:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I propose a ban for excessive smiley usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Lads a lot of these threads have descended into chaos because someone makes a ludicrous comment and everyone jumps all over it and a 10 page thread has 8 pages of "quote versus quote" arguements.

I don't think anyone is getting banned for joking around so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

P.S. Please don't quote this and try start an arguement with me!! :p

Lads a lot of these threads have descended into chaos because someone makes a ludicrous comment and everyone jumps all over it and a 10 page thread has 8 pages of "quote versus quote" arguements.

I don't think anyone is getting banned for joking around so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

P.S. Please don't quote this and try start an arguement with me!! :p

um

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Seriously, what are people objecting to? Dragan is clearly saying don't start posting
    ner-ner-ni-ner-ner I told you so. You thought XYZ would win - shows how much you know! Idiot! I told you ABC would win in the first round.

ABC - 1 XYZ -0
    Me - 1 You - 0

It would be like if I did this:
    Clive wrote: »
    I would love to see a "MMA fans forum"...it would clear out a lot of threads, and hopefully a lot of the more abrasive MMA fans would head over there and stop people thinking that we're all a shower of tools.

It would be analogous to having a premiership forum for people who want to rattle on about the minutiae of that, while leaving a normal soccer forum for those involved in the sport - as fans, managers, players etc on a local, national and international level to have relevant discussions.

See how smart I am and how much I know about MMA? Ner-ner-ni-ner-ner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

While it may seem like an odd ruling from Dragan, if you havent spent much time on this forum, many threads have descended into quote laden petiness.
    Its fairly irritating, and makes reading through threads quite tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 subvictory

Clive, you should be banned for being too articulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

dunkamania wrote: »
    While it may seem like an odd ruling from Dragan, if you havent spent much time on this forum, many threads have descended into quote laden petiness.

Totally agree....... and I've kinda confirmed the quote thing now aswell! :D

• Advertisement

Chris I'll ban you for poor grammar stoopid! :pac::D

Ok, very simple really. Banter is fine and ideally we'd just let it all go free reign (and we mostly will/do) but try modding the forum and having to deal with all of the reported posts that you get in your e-mail everyday citing "personal abuse" and "attack the post not the poster" and then see how many of these get started by arguments by exactly what Dragan is talking about here and see how long your patience lasts. I think it's more along the lines of if you're gonna have a little friendly dig then cool but if it descents into an argument of complete sh1te with personal insults and threats flying round then people will get banned. Sorry, I know, we're mod nazis really, out to ruin your fun and all, but this is what has to be done when flamewars start clogging up threads. At least you guys have the luxury of being able to stop reading when a thread gets stupid. We don't. We have to read through ALL the rubbish as well as the good stuff. So all I'm saying is try and avoid behaving like 10 year old soccer fans when your favorite fighter wins or loses and we'll be alright.

But yea....powertrip. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the board. What a charmer you are. Very endearing. :rolleyes: Hopefully your contributions are better than this in the future. If ya wanna question the rules then PM me or Dragan. Don't hide behind smartass remarks. So why don't YOU take your boards username and password and give them to someone who has a scrap of cop on or change your attitude and don't just waltz in here talking crap.

I think most posters here will agree with me when I say that Dragan has done a great job modding this forum. If it wasn't for him then this forum wouldn't exist ...... but yea, it's much easier to be negative isn't it. Yes he has to occasionally ban people and so have I. Yes we occasionally have to remind posters to follow the rules (which are set up to hopefully keep the board functioning as a discussion forum between fans rather than an argument vehicle for tribal fanboys). But neither of us have unjustifiably banned anyone on the forum. It's not something we try to do. If I had my way I'd never ban anyone because people wouldn't act the muppet, but this isn't a perfect world.

If you want a shorter and more concise explanation then see:
    dunkamania wrote: »

Nail on the head. Anyone who posts here regularly would know why he made the thread.

Advertisement