Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off jewellers!!

Options
  • 28-01-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Finished my final exams and as a reward for my hard work my parents gave me some money to go buy myself a prezzie - decided to buy a watch..

Watch in Weirs €710, same watch in Fields €670 and the same watch on Amazon €460 (and yes that is the Euro price and includes delivery)

How can this be?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Because Weirs is a upmarket shop, I think the dogs on the street know that stuff is going to cost more there! e.g. only a complete idiot or millionaire would go to weirs for a new battery for a watch, when you can get a pack of 30 for €2 in the €2 shops. I would expect to pay €5-10 for a single battery in Weirs. In your case I am surprised the saving is so little!

Jewellers have little turnover so have to have huge margins, they might only sell a few items a day, and weirs overheads must be fairly big on grafton street. Your amazon guy could be working out of a bedroom, and sourcing it at different wholesale prices. (also be careful of shops advertising on amazon for fakes!)

I know girls who go to BT to get all the perfumes tested/sampled then head to the pharmacy next door or up in stephens green centre to actually buy it.

I know a guy who wanted a Tag watch, went to the canaries and got it from an official approved dealer, paid for the entire holiday and still saved.

I got earphones for €120 online that would have been €280. There are huge savings to be got on premium/high-end goods

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have an Internet connection and some patience you can get most things 20% off, or more depending on what goods it is.
    Internet sellers don't pay rent on Shop Street, they just need a guy to package it and go to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

As for the perfume I totally agree - I buy my perfume from an ebay shop (its totally reputable and the genuine article) ralph lauren romance 100ml €84 in shops - €44 from ebay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ILOff

Shops are completely entitled to charge whatever they want.
    And you are completely entitled to shop wherever you want.

If people keep buying in the dearer shops then they have no incentive to reduce their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Finished my final exams and as a reward for my hard work my parents gave me some money to go buy myself a prezzie - decided to buy a watch..

Watch in Weirs €710, same watch in Fields €670 and the same watch on Amazon €460 (and yes that is the Euro price and includes delivery)

How can this be?!!

Shoulda bought a Jacob & Co watch from Paul Sheerins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

Swizz wrote: »
    Shoulda bought a Jacob & Co watch from Paul Sheerins

why?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Really nice IMO, not sure whats in there now though.

What watch did you get for €710? Link?

Advertisement