Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash ...

• 28-01-2009 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

I see the Canon Speedlite EXII 580 takes 4 AA batteries ?

very dissapointed .. isn't there any that take their own battery (like the bodies) which last far longer ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

How could you be disappointed that a flash takes AA batteries? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Thats one of the good things about moving from Compact to SLR ... was the proper batteries...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

there is also the quantum flash system, but its mad mad money

i belive quatum make a battery to power the 580 too

Yep, they do indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sure just get rechargable aa batteries. Best of both worlds! Plus if you ever get stuck for them you know even your corner shop has them something that cannot be said for the rechargable lithium batteries in your slr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

landyman wrote: »
    Sure just get rechargable aa batteries. Best of both worlds! Plus if you ever get stuck for them you know even your corner shop has them something that cannot be said for the rechargable lithium batteries in your slr

Agree 100%, rechargables are the way to go but you can keep a set of alkalines as an emergency standby, they have a very long shelf life. Note however that rechgargables are not a good idea in an appliance that has a slow draw as they will drain in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

MyMemory.com have good prices on Uniross rechargeables and chargers.

I got two sets of 2700 mAh batteries and a charger for about €35. Seem to work well in my 430ExII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Pick up some Sanyo Eneloop batteries, they're rechargeable AA batteries that hold their charge for a year when not being used. I have them in my 3 flashes and 4 pocket wizards. They're good for about 1000 charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

kensutz wrote: »
    How could you be disappointed that a flash takes AA batteries? :confused:

Judging by his 5DmkII threads, if a CF card door disappoints him too, there's no end to his disappointments...

Also, NiMH batteries are your friends.

• Advertisement

jackdaw wrote: »
    I see the Canon Speedlite EXII 580 takes 4 AA batteries ?

very dissapointed .. isn't there any that take their own battery (like the bodies) which last far longer ..

Ah sure ya know wat d tayto add said..... 'theres always one'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

Little to be disappointed about:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Fajitas! wrote: »

These are great and help keep the flash banging away when it needs to.

On a side note though - you still need the batteries in the flash even with this connected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

jackdaw wrote: »
    which last far longer ..

might be
    but the 2500 NiMH from aldi/lidl at €4.49 the pack of 4 gives me weeks of flash, and I shoot with difusors and quite a lot, so lately the poor SB800 has to work harder than the average flash

also, anyone from any system can lend you batteries (or you can buy them) without issues of brand/model

the uniross charger is the best, full charge on own brand in 15 min, knock down brands in 1 hour

These are great and help keep the flash banging away when it needs to.

On a side note though - you still need the batteries in the flash even with this connected

Yep, but the fact you've got a hell of a lot more AA's in there makes life easier. I think there's 3rd party batteries you can pop into it too!

I'm loaded up on 2900mhz rechargeable batteries (NiMH), picked up 8 of them and charger for about 30 quid in B&H last year.

Flash....

Ah-aaah, saviour of the universe..... Sorry just had too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Flash is the next item on my shopping list, stay away from slagging it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Yep, but the fact you've got a hell of a lot more AA's in there makes life easier. I think there's 3rd party batteries you can pop into it too!

I'm loaded up on 2900mhz rechargeable batteries (NiMH), picked up 8 of them and charger for about 30 quid in B&H last year.

Couldnt agree more matey and I am the same with the 2900's - one less thing to worry about :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i use these

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=101842

and i use a charger a bit like this

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=102046

it works indoors and on the 12v of my car

the are rock solid too, last for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

One thing to watch with Ni-Mh or any rechargables - you need to segregate your batteries so that they are in sets, each set being the number you need in your appliance which is typically two or four. You then need to use each set together and charge them together so that they have the same power as one another at all times, this will significantly enhance their overall life. Don't just allow them to get mixed up, otherwise you'll be using strong with weak batteries and this will screw them up and shorten their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

coylemj wrote: »
    One thing to watch with Ni-Mh or any rechargables - you need to segregate your batteries so that they are in sets, each set being the number you need in your appliance which is typically two or four. You then need to use each set together and charge them together so that they have the same power as one another at all times, this will significantly enhance their overall life. Don't just allow them to get mixed up, otherwise you'll be using strong with weak batteries and this will screw them up and shorten their life.

I went a bit forward to that
    with a voltmeter (multitester, 8 quid in maplin) I measure the voltage of the batteries when the flash is taking too long to cycle
    of many batteries at home I found a full set that discharges in the same way more importantly, found individual batteries (of the same batch) that weren't worth using as they couldn't hold charge
    be aware you may have just 1 faulty battery on your set of 4 and it can kill the other 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Duracell and the like are nearly always 100% extra free lately so they do me...recharging is a pain in the arse and they don't normally last as long.
    My i-River mp3 player is one single battery, I like the way I can pick up a battery in any news-agent without worrying about the type of battery you get say in a Mobile phone running out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Uniross 150 charger is only 4.86sterling with 4 AA batteries in Jessops. And for AA 2800ma rechargables AA batteries 7 dayshop is very reasonable, but you need to buy a few sets to make the postage economical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

coylemj wrote: »

+1

Advertisement