Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet hate: plural/collective use of a singular term

• 28-01-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Please see attached from breakingnews.ie

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhsngbgbqley/

Indonesia is one country. Therefore should it not be referred to in the singular?...i.e. Indonesia joins World Cup race?

This error happens on a daily basis, and so we get:

Liverpool are looking good for the Premier League ( 2 mistakes here :D)

Fianna Fail give in to Green Party demands.

Liverpool and Fianna Fail are single entities (albeit made up of a collection of mis-fits ;)) so why refer to each entity in the plural?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Mate you need to take up a new hobby..:D

What wrong with the "Fianna Fail.." statement?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I think donegalfella has hit the nail on the head.

In your example, Liverpool (the team) is just a short hand for the members of the team (Rafa, Reina, ...Gerrard, Keane etc.) so the word is referring to a list many individuals, hence the plural.
    Liverpool (the city) is in the Northwest of England.
    The term "Fianna Fáil" in the context you quoted refers to the many individuals in the party, hence using the plural of "give".

You are dead right, however, in the article you linked. The word should be "joins" and that is an example of slack journalism and the author should be slapped around the head with the Grammar Truncheon. (I think I'm going to copyright that phrase!).

The latest onslaught to my ears is the ad on the radio for some tile crowd, that "don't sell cheap tiles, but they do sometimes sell tiles cheap". I feel like screaming at the radio "It's cheapLY, you ignorant gobshíte!!!" Sorry for the OT rant there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yakuza wrote: »
    I think donegalfella has hit the nail on the head.

In your example, Liverpool (the team) is just a short hand for the members of the team (Rafa, Reina, ...Gerrard, Keane etc.) so the word is referring to a list many individuals, hence the plural.
    Liverpool (the city) is in the Northwest of England.
    The term "Fianna Fáil" in the context you quoted refers to the many individuals in the party, hence using the plural of "give".

You are dead right, however, in the article you linked. The word should be "joins" and that is an example of slack journalism and the author should be slapped around the head with the Grammar Truncheon. (I think I'm going to copyright that phrase!).

The latest onslaught to my ears is the ad on the radio for some tile crowd, that "don't sell cheap tiles, but they do sometimes sell tiles cheap". I feel like screaming at the radio "It's cheapLY, you ignorant gobshíte!!!" Sorry for the OT rant there :)

Heheheh heard that one too and did actually scream "CHEAPLY!!! you cnunt " at the radio.
    How things are done the adverbs tell as slowly quickly idly well....

Good explanation of the other stuff there.. tks for that.

Advertisement