Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project Management

• 28-01-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi All,

I graduated from Arch. Tech in Bolton Street last May, and as we all know by now, if there is no work for experience professional, wet behind the ears Graduates havnt a hope!
    So, in an attempt to further myself, kill the monotiny of doing nothing, and ultimately put me a couple of steps ahead of the soon to be Graduated this year, I was thinking of doing a part time evening diploma in Project Management, so far the best one that I could find is in DBS. 14 weeks, €1500, 1 evening a week, for a Diploma in Project Management, there is a further 2 follow on courses after that if you wished then, The Advanced Diploma and the executive Diploma, but for the min, I just want to get a basic understanding, and also, being part time, if by some miracle a job does pop up, I wont have to turn it down because I'm back in a full time course.

I'm just wondering if any of the posters in here have done this course, if you have, whats it like?...or if people have done a course somewhere else, where do they think is the best option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

For what its worth my opinion.

Try and get yourself onto an Hons Degree course. You are at a stage when it is not as difficult to stay in education and their is little work to get paid experience. At least with an hons degree you are able to get on a masters programme later if you like. and will gain Chartered membership of Professional Bodies. The dip will not afford you of this (AFAIK)

I think there are a few hons coursed in the country for project/Construction Management Try ITT which will give you advanced entry due to having a level 7 qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Thanks for that topcatcbr,
    I had been planning on going back to DIT to do the honours add on to the Arch Tech course when it comes in, last I was talking to Cormac Allen, he said that it mite be in by september this year, so ideally I'd like to do that as my honours, and simply have the project management as an added extra to my CV, also I wouldn't mind going back for a year full time to do the honours in Arch Tech. but I'll have a check on ITT and a few other places anyway.

Thanks for that topcatcbr,
    I had been planning on going back to DIT to do the honours add on to the Arch Tech course when it comes in, last I was talking to Cormac Allen, he said that it mite be in by september this year, so ideally I'd like to do that as my honours, .

I heard this three years ago. Dont hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Yeah, I meant to add that in to my post too actually, I've been hearing it since September 05 when I started the course, so I'm being overly optimistic I feel.:(

If you realy want to get it done this year you should try Napier university. I know some who did the Diploma CIT (a few years ago) who went into the final year of Napier hons degree. They said it was no problem. Its also Acredited by CIAT and CIOB. Id of done this myself but im in full time employment and have a family so i couldnt afford to take a year out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlemissmahon

There is a really good project mang course in IBaT college in swords which I did last year, its 14 weeks and is €1395 so its cheaper than DBS,
    Class sizes are also pretty small which is a plus.

Id recommend it anyway :)

Advertisement