Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need feedback on a house tune I produced

• 28-01-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was also on in the Music Production forum asking questions about music distribution so apologies if you've heard from me already!

Basically I am one half of a music production duo and am seeking honest opinions about our output: a kind of funky/ groovy house track.

I have this tune on myspace but the flash player is making it sound truly awful. i compressed it to 190kbps and it sounds sweet on nmy PC, but when I upload it the tune sounds horribly over-compressed... as if I recoded it on my phone!

But it should still be enough to tell whether it's any good or no. We are not long at this house malarky so try and keep critisism constructive please.

www.myspace.com/defactodisco

Feel free to add me as a friend!! Eager to hear the opinions of one and all!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Does'nt do it 4 me...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Nappy wrote: »
    Does'nt do it 4 me...:(

What he said. Sorry lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i wouldnt really be a fan of the bassline to be honest.its a bit dull and stagnant also a little bit too sparse.the percussion is weak too and doesnt really change.
    i know its a mysoace player but the levels arent really right either.the lead sound is too loud in it.
    its also a bit too boring imo.i mean it doesnt really have any new elements towards the end of the track.
    also the speech was good in the begining but its soooooo long.same for the track.its far too long.no buildups either,no excitement in it.
    sorry to be so negative man but thats my honest opinion.i dont think you should send it out just yet,maybe work on it some more.
    just a-b it against other tracks from the same genre and be honest about how it sounds compared to one of those tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Don't mind the negativity boyos, honest opinions is what I was seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

not really my cup of tea but i think it's decent, particularly if it's your first production. on the plus side it's cohesive and it does groove.
    the downside for me, it's a bit too long and it sounds a bit sparse and dated.
    i could do without the slap bass sound but maybe that's just me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 smick

u say its overcpmpressed when u export it, make sure ur levels arent going into the red

also, its ****e, turn it up to 165 bpm and put a donk on it and some mad out of it hoover stabs foooooooooawawawwwwwwwwwww

also, its ****e, turn it up to 165 bpm and put a donk on it and some mad out of it hoover stabs foooooooooawawawwwwwwwwwww
    No, I won't be doing that. In that regard, I am bound by the shackles of taste, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

smick wrote: »
    u say its overcpmpressed when u export it, make sure ur levels arent going into the red

Anybody who "puts a donk" on anything should be taken out and shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 smick

how? it needs a bit of life pumped into it and more bass and some hooverstabs comeone are you deaf any clown can hear dat it needs more piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizaaaaaaaow

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bmizzle

Wouldn't be my style, but it sounds aright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I wasn't going to comment on this because I'm into harder stuff, but I thought I'd keep an open mind for it, I wasn't really impressed with it, seemed quite bland and went on for too long. I agree with what was said above regarding the speech, I liked it in the beginning be it seemed to drag on too long. Don't be deterred by this or anyone else's comments, keep doing what you do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Good effort but the bassline is pretty weak and the lead is waaay too loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That Peter Finch sample has been used too much already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Progger

smick wrote: »

Dont listen to this guy. Anything over 132 bpm should be burned in a great fire
    in the town square in my opinion. I like your track. It does seem like its missing a little oooomph though. Nothing a little tweaking wouldn't fix. Maybe you should check out http://idmforums.com
    They've got a sticky of net labels and real world labels. Plus its a huge community dedicated to Electronic music with lots to learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I just feel its too long, IMO if you made it shorter the energy would increase.. Id love to be able to produce a tune so you should feel great about getting a tune close to a release!

Thanks for the input lads, it's well appreciated.
    Progger, that seems to be the general consensus alright. I'll certainly check out the IDM forums in the coming days too :)
    VinylJunkie, the myspace player seems to be under the impression that the tune is like 12 minutes long, whereas in reality it's closer to 8. I have no idea why this is, and the sound quality from it is just awful as well. I have since re-edited it to around 7 and a half mins and I think it's a better job alright.
    Also, if you want to learn production, you should! It's not that difficult and there's plenty of courses out there! The most frustrating thing is actually getting the sounds and grooves you hear in your head to come out the speakers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Progger

thats quite true alright. I'm good at the ol technical stuff myself it just the aranging and making sounds ''fit'' well together. Hell I could probably make sample CD fit for a king but when it comes to arranging just no. I'm getting there though. Slowly but surely. I hope to have a release by the start of 2010. Do you mind me asking what sequencer you used and if plugins had a major part in this production?? You use reaktor???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

not to discourage anyone but production isnt that easy.
    the easy part is making the tune and arranging.the real skill is the production techniques and proper eqing,compression and achieving a good overall sound on your track.
    anyone can bash out an idea but itll sound flat in a club if they dont know how to get the right overall sound.
    its a long road to getting it right,but enjoyable none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I actually quite like it. Only criticism would be that the percussion is a little weak, other than that it's a decent effort for a newbie.

Advertisement