Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a Hob Extractor Fan

Options
  • 28-01-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever fitted an extractor fan over a hob ?

I'm wondering how you cut the hole in the wall for the outlet ? - Its a newly built kitchen, so the wall is double layer breeze block - is there a special tool or is it just a case of drilling small holes in a circle pattern ?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Talon.ie

You could fit a re-circulating hood instead of a ducted one. That way you won't need to cut a hole in your exterior wall.

If you do go for a ducted fan then I'm not 100% sure how you'd go about it, so I'll keep quiet in case I give you some bad advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Andip
    Hire core boring drill 100mm. Get a piece of 4" sewer pipe the depth of the wall.
    1. Put sewer up to wall where you want extractor to be fitted
    2. Find centre of pipe and mark
    3. Get a long drill bit 8/10mm and drill a hole right out through wall.
    4. then use your core boring drill using the hole you bored as guide
    5. be very careful as you come to the outside of wall
    6. as the drill on the core drill shows outside drill from the outside in this will stop the drill pulling all the plaster of the outside wall and leave a nice neat job.
    7. put the 4" sewer through hole and fill around outside with mastic
    8. put flexible fan pipe out through pipe and fit 4" round PVC vent
    9. mastic between sewer and flexible pipe
    10. JOB DONE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Just to add to Heatherview's post-

Sewer pipe is generally 110mm outside diameter, which is too big for the hole produced by a standard 100mm dia. core drill, so you'll need some black 100mm ducting.

The core drill produces a lot of dust, so if possible drill from the outside in, stopping a few mil short of the internal leaf. Then just knock through the plaster from the inside with a lump hammer. There's very little mess inside the house this way. If at all possible try and angle the core drill ever so slightly so that the duct will have a slight fall from inside to outside. When making the connection to your louvred grille and extractor fan use cable ties to secure the flexi duct and a wrap or two of duct tape. Seal any gaps in the pressed metal/ connector on the fan unit with silicone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks Guys...great description - I can picture whats needed, so thanks again

Advertisement