Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are options for someone who wants to steer away from their primary degree field

Options
  • 28-01-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,

I really need to get some good advice here. Hopefully from someone who has encountered the same problem.

I completed my primary degree in web programming 2 years ago and since then I've been working away. I'm 25 now

The more I worked the more I realized that I couldn't bare to do this type of work for the rest of life. I had chosen the wrong degree for me.

Now I want to move into a different type of work (not I.T or programming) but I feel very trapped and limited by the degree that I hold. To me it only really qualifies me to do one very specific type of work.

I had looked at masters courses in things like teaching, social work, sociology, anthropology etc (things I've discovered I'm actually interested in).
    The minimum educational requirement for these subjects generally seems to be an arts degree, which as far as I can see completely. cuts me out of the picture.

I was looking at masters degree because I could continue my retrieval of grant aid (as far as I'm aware).

I don't think its realistic for me to go back and do another primary degree because I think I would no longer qualify for aid seeing as I already hold a degree and I can't see myself affording it without help.

So now I feel like I'm stuck in a corner.

Can anybody offer me advice on what my options might be?
    Have you been here before?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you considered a Post Grad Diploma?

I believe they are aimed at people like you who are changing from one field to another, but already have a primary degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

Thanks Tom, I'll stick that on my list of things to research. Straight of the bat I guess it would be some sort of "conversion" course?

And again if anybody has had a similar experience I'd love your hear of your experiences.

Once I get all this figured out I'm going to return to this thread and describe my findings/ experience. It might be useful for others down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

I think you need to get a handle on what ideally you would really like to do and then work backwards. Yes conversion PG Dip are there for some careers, or you can do some conversion undergraduate study that could provide entry onto a more vocational masters like social work. Dont forget some sectors will require work experience.

If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to make some suggetsions. In the meantime you could have a go at the following, may help you confirm where your interests/motivations lie.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/What_jobs_would_suit_me___Prospects_Planner_/Login_to_My_Prospects2/p!ejgFgXm?mode=try_pp

Advertisement