Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some new glass...

• 28-01-2009 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Here is my choice

1)100-400 f4.5/5.6L + 16-35 f2.8L II

or

2) 100-400 f4.5/5.6L + 17-40 f4L + canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye....

I think option 2 is the best ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

jackdaw wrote: »
    Here is my choice

1)100-400 f4.5/5.6L + 16-35 f2.8L II

or

2) 100-400 f4.5/5.6L + 17-40 f4L + canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye....

I think option one is better, the 16-35 F2.8 is too amazing, if you have the budget i think i would even think 2 times.

The difference between 17-40L from the 16-35 is too big (i think)
    True you will get less one lens but maybe you can get it later on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

hmmm .. I've heard there is not _that_ much of a difference between 17-40 and 16-35 II ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd go for option 2.
    Only people I've read who can tell or appreciate any differences between the 16-35II and the 17-40 are the 'DP professionals'
    Some people even prefer the IQ on the 17-40.
    I've had a go with the Fisheye and theres def a place for it in any photographers kitbag.

Where as a matter of interest you going to get the 100-400L from?
    I def need one of them before April.

I will get everything from www.keaphoto.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I'd go for option 2

+1

Amen!! :D :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, since you're buying, and it's for yourself, if you think option 2 is best, then go for it.

Personally (since I have option 1) I'd go for option 1. The 16-35mm (mk II) is much better than the 17-40mm lens, never mind the extra stop.

You have to ask yourself - how often would you use the fisheye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I don't know anything about Canon glass - but I think with a fisheye you are going to get some unusual and unique images. And you can always use some software to "de-fisheye-ify" the images if you get tired of he effect!

Come to think of it - does anyone have any recommendations on a FF fisheye for Nikon bodies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I think with the 2 wide angle lenses you need to ask how often will you need the extra speed of the f/2.8

I have heard the IQ is not massively different.

For example I plan to get the 17-40, as i do landscapes typically at f/8 and higher so the extra speed is no use to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Option 2 for sure, no difference between the 16-35 and the 17-40 except a stop and one mm, certainly not enough to tempt me. The 15mm fisheye is fantastic and so sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What shooting are you mainly going to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Personally, I'd go with the better glass every time, but I'm not the one with the readies in hand. If you're more comfortable with option B) go for it, but I wouldn't be so fast to get two superwides - take your time, your 5D ii will be around for a long time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go with the better glass every time, but I'm not the one with the readies in hand. If you're more comfortable with option B) go for it, but I wouldn't be so fast to get two superwides - take your time, your 5D ii will be around for a long time :)

I agree. I also think that the novelty factor of the fish-eye will wear off and you'll end up with a dust catcher that will be little used. I'm speaking from experience here, I have the Nikon 10.5mm and while it is a great lens, it's uses are limited and I now rarely use it. I bought it at the time along with the Nikon equivalent of your option one (I was feeling a bit flush at the time) but now I reckon that the wider lens was unwarranted.
    I'd start with option 1 if I were you and then try borrowing the fisheye for a while to see if you really want it. You could even try buying one as a share with someone else and then come to arrangement for shared ownership. It might make more sense.

Borderfox wrote: »
    What shooting are you mainly going to do?

Well i like wide landscape shots ... and building shots .. I think the fisheye will be great for that .. I love the effect ... this weekend im gonna get the chance to use the 15mm fisheye ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If it's any use to you, I got the fisheye while I was flush myself in NY last easter.

I used it for bits and pieces for a while after, and after that it got rarer and rarer uses.

It broke about September, and I've still neither sent it off to be repaired nor really needed it again. I will get it fixed at some stage, but if it was one of my more essential lenses it would be sent off that night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If it's any use to you, I got the fisheye while I was flush myself in NY last easter.

I used it for bits and pieces for a while after, and after that it got rarer and rarer uses.

It broke about September, and I've still neither sent it off to be repaired nor really needed it again. I will get it fixed at some stage, but if it was one of my more essential lenses it would be sent off that night :)

I got the 15mm recently and its not the kind of lens you are going to use very very very often. saying that I am getting some cracking stuff with it of recent so I am glad I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Wow! These have gone up quite a lot since I last ordered from them, they used to be far far cheaper than Jessops, Jessops are same price more or less for the 100-400L after you take P+P into account and you don't have to worry about the import duty.

Advertisement