Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a Radiator - Extreme amateur at DIY

Options
  • 28-01-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

A small hole appeared in my rad so I need to replace it. There are 2 valves at either side of the radiator, can I just simply close one and open the other one - to drain the rad? Can it be that easy?? Any advice welcome!!

I dont know a thing about DIY so take it easy with the techno jargon!!!

Thanks..

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

You have to close both valves on both ends and then take rad from wall.Then drain as necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

You'll have to close both valves and then drain the water from the radiator. Once the valves are closed - one closes using the handle on it, the other handle is just a cover which has to be removed and the valve closed with an adjustable spanner - open one of the fittings between the valve and the radiator, not between the valve and water pipe or it'll make a mess.

The water will stay in the radiator due to vacumn so you'll have to open either the same fitting on the other side or the air vent on top of the radiator to let air in. Either way have at least 2 pots and a bucket ready to catch the water and better still someone else with you to run and empty buckets. There is a surprising volume of water in a radiator :eek:

Hope that helps

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Having locked off both valves loosen the large nut on both sides between valve and rad. ( having placed a bowl under each valve to catch spillage)

With another person on the other end lift the rad gently off the brackets and lie the top of the rad on the floor.

Now you have the rad top on the floor and the two nuts still attached at the other elevated end, this will minimise spillage.

Loosen completely the nuts now and stand it up, carefully walk it out of the house having stuffed a little cloth into each end to stop splashing.

Carefull where you empty it as the water is filthy black.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

To be very honest I would be wary of doing this without some basic plumbing experience. It is unlikely that you will get an exact replacement for the old radiator so you may have no option but to move the supply and return valves to install a new one. This will require a full drain down of the heating system, and possibly shortening or extending the pipes to suit. You may also have to install new wall brackets to hang the new radiator. Even if you get an identical replacement you will have either transfer the old radiator valve tails or install new ones. It's very straightforward if you understand the heating system design and know what to expect, but I've seen people get into trouble here just by trying to vent air from a radiator, so thread carefully and make sure you don't start something you can't finish. Having said all that you will get plenty of good advice here if you go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

ledsking wrote: »
    A small hole appeared in my rad so I need to replace it. There are 2 valves at either side of the radiator, can I just simply close one and open the other one - to drain the rad? Can it be that easy?? Any advice welcome!!
    I dont know a thing about DIY so take it easy with the techno jargon!!!
    Thanks..
    :confused:

Holes don't just appear in rads :eek: How old is your system ? You could have a nasty corrosion problem here :(
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

JamesM wrote: »
    Holes don't just appear in rads :eek: How old is your system ? You could have a nasty corrosion problem here :(
    Jim.

+1. And possibly air getting into your system. Is it an atmospheric one (with a small header tank in the attic?) If it is there could be a leak somewhere that's allowing fresh oxygenated water into the system continuously, and that will eventually cause corrosion and pinholes in the rads. If it is such a system, tie up the ball valve on the tank and watch over a few days to see if the tank level drops. If it does, you must find out where the leak is or eventually you will have rad leaks all over the place.

Advertisement