Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teams You Hate Apart From Your Derby Rivals.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dempsey wrote: »
    Thats founded by an Irish Man to feed poor Irish immigrants and other marginalised ethnic minorities. The club has very strong Irish connections

Doesn't make them an Irish club though.

Some examples of actual Irish clubs would be Athlone Town and Cobh Ramblers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Des wrote: »

Did I say it was an Irish club?? NO

It has, by far, the strongest Irish connection & history out of any British Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What about Shelbourne? They'd be another one...

EDIT: Bray Wanderers as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

You're pushing it with Cobh there Des :pac::pac::pac:

Did I say it was an Irish club?? NO

It has, by far, the strongest Irish connection & history out of any British Club.

so what?
    keane2097 wrote: »
    What about Shelbourne? They'd be another one...

EDIT: Bray Wanderers as well...

Yeah, and Galway United too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

spiderdan wrote: »
    I have to say I'm surprised to see Celtic getting a hammering on here! You'd have thought this was a Rangers forum!!

without doubt Chelsea have a small minority of right wing anti-irish supporters, combat-18 etc. Hunt received disgraceful abuse- I don't like them because they have this ****ed up cult mentality going on with Terry, Fat Lamps at the helm, the whole us against the world mentality with Jose really pissed me off

Jez your beginning to sound like a Chelsea fan now so spiderdan. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No No why do you care!! :p:p

I suppose I'm just interested/ slightly surprised at why so many posters on here dislike them so much, considering they're practically an Irish club abroad! that's all. Although I think the answer is fairly obvious.

Do elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Eh let me think about this one

Shels, Shels, Shels, Shels and eh Shels. The most bitterest fans in the league:p:D

Abroad its Liverpool. Always going on about how this is their year to win the title. I guess it s next year now hey lads;)

so what?

So why all the stigma attached to supporting a club outside of Ireland with the strongest Irish connection & history? People in this thread are trying to make out that its wrong or stigmatise supporting such a club which is based on stereotypical nonsense and alot of ignorance by the majority of critics

Its funny that a genuine reason for supporting a club is stigmatised by people where the majority began supporting an EPL club because they were sheepish and didnt want to stand out from the crowd :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Leeds United. Remember going to a friendly between Shelbourne and Leeds at Tolka years ago and hearing generally racist chanting from their supporters. One fella even went up to a garda prior to the kick off and asked him "excuse me, do you have paki's in this country?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pigman II wrote: »
    One fella even went up to a garda prior to the kick off and asked him "excuse me, do you have paki's in this country?"

Looking for Bonner's autograph? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So why all the stigma attached to supporting a club with the strongest Irish connection & history?

I have no problem with anyone supporting LOI clubs, not sure what that has to do with Celtic though?

bohsman wrote: »
    I have no problem with anyone supporting LOI clubs, not sure what that has to do with Celtic though?

Top marks for taking a post completely out of context. Here's a gold star for you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Here's a gold star for you :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the gold star Celtic have above their crest. I can only presume it represents the number of LOI/FAI cup doubles they've won. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Its funny that a genuine reason for supporting a club is stigmatised by people where the majority began supporting an EPL club because they were sheepish and didnt want to stand out from the crowd :pac:

Again, it ain't exactly original to be supporting Celtic. In fact, lots of people support Celtic just because it seems to be the done thing in Ireland so your above post is, indeed, cock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

bohsman wrote: »

I think it comes down to people being of the opinion that if you support Celtic you support Republicanism, Sin Fein IRA, sectarianism etc etc, and that a large majority of Celtic fans are thought of as that! which I believe is wrong. I'm interested to hear the reasons why people "Hate Celtic FC" thats all.

mobby wrote: »
    Jez your beginning to sound like a Chelsea fan now so spiderdan. :D

LOL- I have to say its not as annoying/ obvious under Scolari.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Again, it ain't exactly original to be supporting Celtic. In fact, lots of people support Celtic just because it seems to be the done thing in Ireland so your above post is, indeed, cock!!

Alot of people would be supporting Celtic because of its strong Irish Roots/History and that the majority of their attending fans and season book holders are mainly Irish or Irish immigrants. The same cannot be said of any EPL club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Alot of people would be supporting Celtic because of its strong Irish Roots/History and that the majority of their attending fans are mainly Irish immigrants, now 3rd generation but nonetheless Irish in origin. The same cannot be said of any EPL club

Sunderland? :pac:

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sunderland? :pac:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

As is evidenced here, some people probably hate certain clubs more than they hate their rival club!!

Anyhow, I dislike the following

Liverpool
    Shelbourne
    Chelsea
    Hearts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I hate LOI clubs. Because of their fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm sure you realise that TD had no actual problem with Rovers per se, only with dirty foreign sacair in the area. And that you're posting this on a soccer forum.

While tryin not to start this whole argument again (because believe me, I've done it many times already) but I have to clear this up.

TD's problem was with all of that taxpayer's money being spent on a team (who are not even from Tallaght) only for it to be used maybe a dozen times a year? TD wanted the stadium opened up to all sports, they didn't want to use it themselves. They have a fantastic all-weather pitch up in Kiltipper, they wouldn't need to use the Tallaght stadium.

And for those saying TD tried to "kill off" Shamrock Rovers etc., That's a load of sensationalist crap tbh.

I'd rather not say anything more on this now as it's nothing to do with the topic really

roryc wrote: »
    I hate LOI clubs. Because of their fans.

lol, a few very good examples of that on this forum alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I'd rather not say anything more on this now as it's nothing to do with the topic really
    As it's nothing to do with the topic, and you lost the case hands down, you'd be well advised not to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the majority began supporting an EPL club because they were sheepish and didnt want to stand out from the crowd :pac:

the majority probably started supporting epl clubs because due to the fai's chronic ineptitude, they didnt even know there was a national league

Helix wrote: »
    the majority probably started supporting epl clubs because due to the fai's chronic ineptitude, they didnt even know there was a national league

istockphoto_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Helix wrote: »

It is the fault of the clubs that 9 year old boys dont know they exist, not the FAI. Man Utd promotes itself to young lads, the FA doesnt do the promotion for them.

Nope, they aren't.

Celtic are a Scottish club, playing in Scotland.

Stop pretending otherwise.

Would you agree alot of Scottish Celtic fans have more pride in being Irish than certain LOI people in Ireland who confuse civic with national pride and so come out with nonsense like the national team is of no importance?

I dont find watching Celtic generally exciting football but I will wish them well and watch the big matches because they have a proud Irish tradition. It would be great if they made the UEFA final in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

shane86 wrote: »
    certain LOI people in Ireland who confuse civic with national pride and so come out with nonsense like the national team is of no importance?
    The very same could be said of Scottish Celtic suppoters who support Ireland over Scotland.
    Scotland is their country, Celtic is their team. Celtic are in Scotland, yet a lot of its supporters do not support their own national side out of some misplaced loyalty to a nation their ancestors were once exiled from.
    edit: You wish Celtic well because of their Irish heritage. Would you wish these lads well then? - http://www.munichirishrovers.de/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This is a good thread and I'll not derail it, but a lot of the regulars here, including non-LOI fans know the score. We won comprehensively and DCB are footing your stooge fee bills, so everybody's happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

i know this thread is going slightly off topic but feel it necessary i get my opinion in on the Celtic case.

i myself am a celtic fan, season ticket holder, shareholder, the biggest love of my life no doubt. anyway everyone will agree the whole stereo-typical thing of our fans is what annoys everyone. i HATE seeing skobies walking around with the jersey on. its basically pure ignorance, they dont know about the clubs ethos.

The whole thing from Des about 'They're not an Irish Club' etc is a bit annoying. okay obviously they arent irish if you're talking geographically but obviously u know the history of irishness in the club.

i simply support a football club, no politics etc, just like a lot of celtic fans. as usual its the small minority that ruin it for us real fans.

edit: You wish Celtic well because of their Irish heritage. Would you wish these lads well then? - http://www.munichirishrovers.de/

I would :confused:

If those chaps got into the UEFA Cup or the Champions League, I would wish them well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

bmcgov86 wrote: »

The whole thing from Des about 'They're not an Irish Club' etc is a bit annoying. okay obviously they arent irish if you're talking geographically but obviously u know the history of irishness in the club.

So you can understand that Loi supporters find it annoying when people say that they support Celtic/Manu/Liverpool because of the Irish links while looking down at actual Irish clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'm a Spurs fan, so Arsenal is an obvious one. Apart from them, in order:

1. Rangers, obviously.
    2. Leeds, doesn't need explanation.
    3. Chelsea, purely for Lampard, Cashley and Drogba.
    4. Real Madrid. Bloody royalists.
    5. HmmmmmmmLiverpool. Didn't like the whole Keane & Barry saga, don't like Benitez. Nah, actually I've always liked the Pool, especially back in the Dalglish years.

Used to hate United, but for some reason I actually like them now. Guess it was the Roy Keane thing. Plus van Nistelrooy left them.

I would :confused:

If those chaps got into the UEFA Cup or the Champions League, I would wish them well
    So if any club with "Irish heritage" is doing well, you'd root for them?
    Not everything that has Irish heritage deserves our support tbh, I don't get this mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I hate loads of teams:
    Start in Scotland cos i hate those the most: Celtic and Rangers.
    In Ireland: Rovers and Bohs
    England: The big 4. (Man-u, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in that order)
    Italy: Inter
    International: England

I think the reason a lot of people hate Celtic is this:
    Anyone can understand Irish supporting EPL teams cos it's the best league in the world and it cets so much coverage here. But Celtic play in a rubbish league, if you want to support an "Irish" team just support a fecken Irish team!

So if any club with "Irish heritage" is doing well, you'd root for them?

I would be more inclined to
    Not everything that has Irish heritage deserves our support tbh, I don't get this mentality.

What teams/organisations do you think should not be well wished and why?

Quint wrote: »
    I think the reason a lot of people hate Celtic is this:
    Anyone can understand Irish supporting EPL teams cos it's the best league in the world and it cets so much coverage here. But Celtic play in a rubbish league, if you want to support an "Irish" team just support a fecken Irish team!

You think people hate Celtic because they cannot get their head around someone liking a team that play in a 'rubbish' league?

ANY League of Ireland team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Big Inter fan, ever since Bergkamp was with them.

How? Bergkamp was a complete joke at inter

You wish Celtic well because of their Irish heritage. Would you wish these lads well then? - http://www.munichirishrovers.de/

If they progressed to the Bundesliga and on to European football, of course I would.

Oh, and screw you Paolo Maldini, how could you not support a team that has a player who is 576 years old

http://www.munichirishrovers.de/stats/appearances.php?player=10016

:pac:

I would be more inclined to

What teams/organisations do you think should not be well wished and why?
    Lets see- bad things of Irish heritage- Ronald Reagan, Sheridan who massacred the Choctaws...
    Football-wise I can't say which clubs are "bad" and "good".
    People should really examine what it is they are supporting before they support it. I don't support Celtic because I hate their "Irish" claims while also paying tax to the monarchy they claim to have fought against. I wouldn't support Munich Irish Rovers because I don't see any reason why I should.
    I have German Heritage, and yet if I wished every club of German heritage well it would be looked upon as mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You think people hate Celtic because they cannot get their head around someone liking a team that play in a 'rubbish' league?

You've ignored the major part of his point there, while concentrating on a minor point taking it out of context somewhat. Good work.

Football-wise I can't say which clubs are "bad" and "good".
    People should really examine what it is they are supporting before they support it. I don't support Celtic because I hate their "Irish" claims while also paying tax to the monarchy they claim to have fought against. I wouldn't support Munich Irish Rovers because I don't see any reason why I should.
    I have German Heritage, and yet if I wished every club of German heritage well it would be looked upon as mad.

You said 'wish these lads well'. That is not the same as 'support'. What does it matter to you if person x wishes person y/group y well in their sporting endeavour because that have an Irish link or heritage?

What does it matter to you if person x wishes person y/group y well in their sporting endeavour because that have an Irish link or heritage?
    Because a majority of these people would not wish any LOI team well, while wishing an foreign team founded by an Irish person well.
    To me it defies logic anyway.

I can't stand the way some LoI fans give Irish Celtic fans grief for not being more "patriotic" and supporting a LoI team.

....As they sit and eat their english cereals and drink thier starbucks coffee.

Hypocritical ? I reckon so

DSB wrote: »
    You've ignored the major part of his point there, while concentrating on a minor point taking it out of context somewhat. Good work.

Did I? I take it his major point was 'if you want to support an "Irish" team just support a fecken Irish team!' yet he states 'Anyone can understand Irish supporting EPL teams cos it's the best league in the world and it cets so much coverage here' however '[But] Celtic play in a rubbish league'

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I can't stand the way some LoI fans give Irish Celtic fans grief for not being more "patriotic" and supporting a LoI team.

....As they sit and eat their english cereals and drink thier starbucks coffee.

Hypocritical ? I reckon so
    Still not as hypocritical as Celtic fans.
    Anyway, to get back on topic, I really don't like Celtic at all.

• Advertisement

Because a majority of these people would not wish any LOI team well, while wishing an foreign team founded by an Irish person well.
    To me it defies logic anyway.

If a LoI team got into the UEFA Cup and/ or the Champions League, I would wish them well (unless they were playing Celtic).

Advertisement