Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 50 worst things about modern football

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I thought the first three words in #40 showed good insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No mention of Number 6 internet message boards thats perfect for in here with all the WUM's there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think that whole article is a load of bollox tbh.

Indeed.

Considering the person didnt write the one thing that is truly wrong with modern football, amazingly high priced tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A good read but I'd take issue with this...
    46. Autobiographies

There comes a time in every player’s life when he decides – or his agent tells him – to write his life story. A couple of interviews with a ghostwriter later and hey presto we have 200 pages of guff and absolutely zero interest from the book-buying public. Wayne Rooney has already written two books. That’s one more than he’s read.

This is true of a lot of them, I've read Rooney's one for example (sigh), but some of them are terrific. Bobby Charlton's, Sir Alex Ferguson's and in particular Paul McGrath's which I read recently and it's absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think the TV point needs to be clarified. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't good to have more football (from all countries) on the box. especially compared to when I was a kid in the 80s.

But the massive increase in TV coverage (mainly Sky) is a Faustian pact:

A whole generation of football fans now think it's perfectly normal (even preferable) to watch games at home, rather than attend matches. Obviously this won't concern most posters here, as they are primarily Premiership fans, but it's hurting football outside of the premiership, in England and obviously here. I don't know for sure, but I would hazard a guess that there are far fewer young kids in Ireland who are likely to start taking an interest in Villa, Newcastle, and Spurs these days, let alone a LOI club. It's probably just the same bland compendium of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea into perpetuity.

Add the sky money accruing to the top level of the game, and the majority of clubs that are not on the premiership gravy train have little chance of ever getting on it for a sustained period. So the argument re: improved facilities is spot-on. But only from a premiership-centric viewpoint. There are hundreds of thousands of other fans (in England and here) who support the overwhelming majority of other teams that will never be on the gravy train.

As for the terrace argument, the grounds of the top clubs are full, but the atmosphere is far worse. You can say that all-seaters have killed off the atmo to some extent, but the increasing post-Sky fanbase and the pricing out of the traditional football fan demographic is a big factor too. Paradoxically enough, the fans that are priced out of the games now probably all watch at home or in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The author os this is on Newstalk now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

stovelid wrote: »
    Add the sky money accruing to the top level of the game, and the majority of clubs that are not on the premiership gravy train have little chance of ever getting on it for a sustained period. So the argument re: improved facilities is spot-on. But only from a premiership-centric viewpoint. There are hundreds of thousands of other fans (in England and here) who support the overwhelming majority of other teams that will never be on the gravy train.

For the love of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

A good read but I'd take issue with this...

This is true of a lot of them, I've read Rooney's one for example (sigh), but some of them are terrific. Bobby Charlton's, Sir Alex Ferguson's and in particular Paul McGrath's which I read recently and it's absolutely brilliant.

I don't think a lot of people have a problem with say if Paul McGrath or Maradonna say wrote a book because there are some things in there from a full life and career in the game that could be of interest.

What really annoyed me was the likes of Wayne earning a fortune Rooney doing an auto biography at 20 in a blatant strike while the iron is hot piece of cashing in. I mean he was 20, what the hell has be possibly got to say at 20 that we want to know. If he releases one when he is 40 after a career full of highs and lows then yes, we may be interested then.

As Joey Barton also said and I have to say I fully agreed with him. Straight after the world cup again cashing in Gerrard and Lampard bring out books. I played s**t now heres a book about it. As if they don't earn enough money from playing. I want to read an autobiography on say Maradonna, who had trouble with the mafia and drugs. I couldn't care if Stevie G had an argument on the pitch with Rino Gattuso or that he likes a beacon sarnie!

iregk wrote: »
    If he releases one when he is 40 after a career full of highs and lows then yes, we may be interested then.

Even then it's usually sanitized, although I know there are some good ones out there.

Add to the fact that even after retirement, players could be angling for pundit, coaching or management jobs; maybe even just want to stay golf-buddies with the other pros. We rarely get the books we want.

But you're right. A biog from a 20 year old millionaire: pass the fucking sick bag, although I guess they are aimed at the kid's market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Should bring back the football specials, nothing says level 10 football fan better than 4hrs on ww2 era British Rail rolling stock with smashed windows and a filthy pisser.

Fcuk your prawn sandwiches, cup of Bovril and a bacon buttie if you're lucky.

Replica kit, you're having a laugh? Scarf only, right?

Ticket-only games? Bollox, pay on the door. And you can shove your ticket office website and phone sales, you can queue for your cup final ticket like everyone else you jumped up tart.

Check out the day tripper at 2min56secs...;)

Cracking days, you fcuking barstoolers ruined it.

Should bring back the football specials, nothing says level 10 football fan better than 4hrs on ww2 era British Rail rolling stock with smashed windows and a filthy pisser.

The trains would sink in the Irish sea? :pac:

P.S - you know some of the old crowd scenes look the business, don't deny it.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

stovelid wrote: »
    P.S - you know some of the old crowd scenes look the business, don't deny it.
    :D

Hey, thought I could pick myself out in the Spurs in Sevilla footage I found, getting a right old clump off El Plod...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

My biggest complaint about modern football is the decline of the physical side of the game and the fact that what constitutes a foul these days is the slightest touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

100% agree with the Sky Sports News, autobiographies, Sky Sports in general and Craig Bellamy/Didier Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

But their football careers are behind them and have seen everything there is to see in football, and in Charltons case, more than anyone wishes to experience. Its the likes of Peter Crouch and his ilk. Who cares about them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It ceased to be the ordinarys mans game over a decade or so ago and most big teams dont deserve the overwhelming support they get .In these recessionary times ,that support will dwindle a lot .30 odd quid a game is not going to be an option for many. But although gates will drop , many will also blindly pay at any cost to support their team .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

no mention of WAGS or David Beckham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

JP Liz wrote: »
    no mention of WAGS or David Beckham
    And as for David Beckham and the WAGS ...........no comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

agree with a good bit of it tbh. im as guilty as anyone with watching SSN etc but c'mon 'breaking news', its football not a fcuking war. atmospheres are awful family orientated affairs. the game is all money these days and TV has contributed more than anything else to this. but i suppose most here support united or liverpool and couldnt give a fcuk because theyre happy enough.
    im going off to watch sky this stuff is depressing.

Advertisement