Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colaiste Oiriall, Monaghan

• 28-01-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Not sure where to post this as there doesn't appear to be a second level forum so please feel free to move it, moderators.

Does anyone know anything about an Irish medium school called Colaiste Oiriall in Monaghan? It appears to have many positive attributes: young enthusiastic teachers, small size (150 pupils) and, ironically, an emphasis on English whcih would not exist in an English medium school.

The only negative seems to be theat Chemistry is not an option due to lack of demand. Would I be correct in saying that without this a pupil would not be able to study medicine?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Small schools are usually limited in the choice of subjects they can offer, though they have other advantages. Their site mentions that school offers Biology and Physics to LC. Students can go on to study Medicine with only two LC Science subjects. Many people change their minds career-wise in the later years of schooling.

From what I can see, it's under the auspices of Monaghan VEC. Why not arrange a visit to the school and talk to people yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I don't know a whole pile about the school, but it is in the grounds of Beech Hill college.
    The school itself, as far as I know is based in prefabs, but it has access to all Beech Hills facilities including science labs, gym, home ec rooms etc, so it's like going to Beech Hill only doing it through Irish.

When I was at Beech Hill Chemistry was not offered in it either for the same reason, so it's not just because it's a Gaelscoil.

If I ever have children, I'd be delighted if they chose Colaiste Oiriall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You'll tend to only find Chemistry in larger schools. Can your child do it outside of school, grinds perhaps.

Your best source of info is the school itself, you'll find it under Monaghan VEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Know a bit about it, all positive. Are they recruiting? That would be some opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Ummmm is it just me who feels a bit unsettled about people 'rating' schools here ?Granted all posters were very positive but nevertheless could be very thin ice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

Tarnhows wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this as there doesn't appear to be a second level forum so please feel free to move it, moderators.

Does anyone know anything about an Irish medium school called Colaiste Oiriall in Monaghan? It appears to have many positive attributes: young enthusiastic teachers, small size (150 pupils) and, ironically, an emphasis on English whcih would not exist in an English medium school.

The only negative seems to be theat Chemistry is not an option due to lack of demand. Would I be correct in saying that without this a pupil would not be able to study medicine?

Thanks for any help in advance.

yes,i actually know alot about the school..it has a very good name and is recognised for its results so far..teachers are very good also..
    its not that chemistry isnt an option..it depends on each year and what subjects they want to pick..it depends on if the majority want to do physics or chemistry and then biology is always an option.so if in one year..6 students wanted to do chem and 4 wanted to do physics...then chemistry would be the option.the school has a teacher that is able to teach chemistry..its just the demand hasnt really been there yet..(there has onli been 1 LC in the school so far which was in june)

Advertisement