Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Any suggestions?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

I've picked out the following *and i'm over budget already so I just can't go any further!*

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan

Asus P5Q Mobo

OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT,
    w/two 2048MB PC6400

Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 256MB GDDR3,
    PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I/HDMI

AKASA Zen Black case with 2 Silent 12cm
    Fans and Front I/O Ports (Without PSU)

TP-LINK TL-WN551G Wireless PCI adapter
    54Mbps 802.11g

AXP Powersupply ATX 500W Retail,
    SATA, Dimension mm(163x150x85) 20+4 pin

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110,
    USB/PS2, keyboard/mouse, US, Retail

Cable HDMI-HDMI M/M 10m

NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7201A, IDE, Black,
    LightScribe, Multirecorder(Ram), OEM

I'm not much of a gamer, infact I doubt I'll ever game on this unless I take a notion to play Call of Duty or Halo on it some night but I'm not into games.

I primarily will be using the Machine for VMware testing, day to day email/office, Photoshop, Video editing, ripping,

I plan on dual booting with Ubuntu and running Dynagen/Dynamips to emulate Cisco hardware (I'm a network guy... not a hardware guy!)

I guess all of the above should be sufficient.

Its working out at 587.71

I'm also wondering about Kompletts pickup point - If I was to order now do you think they would have it for collection on Saturday or before it?

Cheers,

iRock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Less RAM, skip on the quad core...do you really need that spec. I'm a Cisco guy myself so I use the same programs as you would, also use photoshop, dreamweaver and others, I'm running 2gb ram and 2ghz duo processor.

If your getting a moniter that will set you back even more!

I use komplett too, great site, get all my stuff by mail though so cant help you there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Barrypr wrote: »
    Less RAM, skip on the quad core...do you really need that spec. I'm a Cisco guy myself so I use the same programs as you would, also use photoshop, dreamweaver and others, I'm running 2gb ram and 2ghz duo processor.

If your getting a moniter that will set you back even more!

I use komplett too, great site, get all my stuff by mail though so cant help you there

I know what you mean but at the moment I have a C2D laptop 2.2Ghz with 4GB ram.

I just think that there is no point in building unless I can get something a good bit faster than my laptop.

I also need to run the Internetwork Expert Dynamips Labs for CCIE on the box and I hear it runs like a dream on the Q6600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Well the price your paying seems pretty good anyway, CCIE which path you taking r&s, best of luck with it only 64 in Ireland.

Barrypr wrote: »
    Well the price your paying seems pretty good anyway, CCIE which path you taking r&s, best of luck with it only 64 in Ireland.

That itself is relief to know its a good price. I was never really into hardware at all!

CCIE - My initial plan was security but $$$$ holding me back so I'm going for the R&S. I'm no expert....yet but I want to give it my best shot at least. 24month timeframe.... I'm going to allow for three attempts on the lab.

Cheers,

iRock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Have a look
    http://ankermann-pc.shops4ecommerce.de/shop/?lang=en

look at offers and
    then the q6700 pc

this is excellent value if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you testing Vmware get 4gbs at least.
    Dump the video card if you're not going to use it now and get it later on when you can afford it.
    I'm running VMs (ubunut/win7/w2K3x3) on my work system and at most I can run 2 at the same time.
    Moving to 64bit and increasing my ram to 8gb will allow me to run all 5 together with my host os. There's a reason for this in case you're wondering as all 5 will be networked together.
    Even on my home pc (v64bit) with 4 gbs I could get 2 vm going but that would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

From komplett's website;
    If you place your order to the Pickup Point before 1pm you will receive your products in two working days, or three working days if the order is placed after 1pm.

I've used the pickup point already and it took exactly three working days as I ordered after 1pm

If you testing Vmware get 4gbs at least.
    Dump the video card if you're not going to use it now and get it later on when you can afford it.
    I'm running VMs (ubunut/win7/w2K3x3) on my work system and at most I can run 2 at the same time.
    Moving to 64bit and increasing my ram to 8gb will allow me to run all 5 together with my host os. There's a reason for this in case you're wondering as all 5 will be networked together.
    Even on my home pc (v64bit) with 4 gbs I could get 2 vm going but that would be it.

Are you sure because I can run 6 - 7 on a 2.2Ghz C2D laptop with 4GB RAM?

From komplett's website;
    If you place your order to the Pickup Point before 1pm you will receive your products in two working days, or three working days if the order is placed after 1pm.

I've used the pickup point already and it took exactly three working days as I ordered after 1pm

Saturday is a working day for them do right? So does that mean I get it Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

iRock wrote: »
    Saturday is a working day for them do right? So does that mean I get it Saturday?

hmmm, ya got me there, pm McKomplett and ask him, you'll find him on the komplett boards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

No idea, you're probably best off ringing them to check first.

hmmm, ya got me there, pm McKomplett and ask him, you'll find him on the komplett boards

Cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Are you sure because I can run 6 - 7 on a 2.2Ghz C2D laptop with 4GB RAM?

All depends on what you're doing with them I supose.
    Mine are set up as databases and web servers and simulate thousands of requests per min. I allocate at least a 1gb apiece of ram and it's still not enough. Really could use 1.5gb at least with 2gb left for the main OS

Advertisement