Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Currency: here or wait until I get there?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hey,

think this is the right thread.

Should I change my euro into zloty here in Ireland before I go, or will I change it in a Polish bank? What you reckon?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'm not sure they stock Zloty in banks here. You can ring your branch and check.

For me, when going outside the Eurozone, if it's easy, I'll bring a small amount of the local currency for when I arrive (taxi, bite to eat getting off the plane etc), but generally just use my ATM card to withdraw the local currency as and when I need it. Credit Card if I'm doing any shopping there. If it's just a holiday, the differences in currency rates/charges would only be a few cent or a few euro at most (and sometimes in favour of my approach!). Not really worth the hassle IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

steo87 wrote: »
    Hey,

think this is the right thread.

Should I change my euro into zloty here in Ireland before I go, or will I change it in a Polish bank? What you reckon?

Cheers

Is this just for a short visit or are you moving there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

dotsman wrote: »
    I'm not sure they stock Zloty in banks here. You can ring your branch and check.

For me, when going outside the Eurozone, if it's easy, I'll bring a small amount of the local currency for when I arrive (taxi, bite to eat getting off the plane etc), but generally just use my ATM card to withdraw the local currency as and when I need it. Credit Card if I'm doing any shopping there. If it's just a holiday, the differences in currency rates/charges would only be a few cent or a few euro at most (and sometimes in favour of my approach!). Not really worth the hassle IMO.

+1

Only the larger branches would stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I asked a couple of polish people I work with and they say the rate in poland is way better than it is here. Although this could be based on a transfer rate from bank to bank.

Also unless you changing lots it wont be a huge difference.

Advertisement