Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Space

• 28-01-2009 7:37pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up on the cheap from Xavvi and played the first two chapters last night. It's atmospheric enough - graphics and sound are some of the best I've experienced in HD and 5.1 but the game itself is a little easier than I had hoped.

In fairness I started on medium but I've not died a single time in 2 hours of gameplay.

Anyone else playing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Played it last year when it came out loved it. There are 12 chaperts BTW.
    I Think I played it on Med also, there is a few hard bits later on. And parts where ya have little or no amo they were the hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Was just reading a few threads on other forums about this. How much was it in Zavvi? Thinking of buying it but only if it's cheap. Want to get stuck into a few games after the mocks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It was 60 down to 36 in Xavvi. Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

got it for 39.99 in xtra vision a few weeks back think its back to full price now.

thoroughly enjoyed it, as said atmospheric and many bits that un-nerve you and make you jump :eek:

saw the animated movie prequel there at the week end, it wasnt bad but was pretty much a sum up of all the video messages and notes you find in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This has been €29.98 in GameStop since before Christmas :S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Don't play on medium. It's too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭EvilWonka

yeah medium is too easy, i beat impossible mode myself. that was alot easier than i thought, but by the time i unlocked that mode i was a limb-shot master!!

It's not the type of game you want to play on a small television. I found it almost impossible to shoot accurately because I couldn't see the aim-lines.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a very well-told story that progresses well as you collect each audio/text log. Very atmospheric, and when his breath/heartbeat grew faster, it got terrifying!

8/10 - loses 2 marks for the character's lack of dialog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

8/10 - loses 2 marks for the character's lack of dialog!

Don't get this gripe about the Isaac having no dialog, Gordon Freeman never had any and look at him

Gordon freeman was first person - You were gordon freeman. It's like Gears - Marcus Fenix had plenty of personality and I was a lot more invested because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

It was a great game, but the kind you only play once. Second play and the scares are all gone, the story is pretty poor 'hey isaac, go here and fix this, then when youre done fixing that, we need you to go here and fix another thing, then maybe you could go fix some other stuff for us' and so on and so forth. The last 2 chapters are crap aswell, and the scares become pretty dull by then when you realise its all just BOO! scares and not much else. Enjoyable, but probably a 7/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

In lots of games the main character never talks and that is fine. I only played this onece but I do plan to play it again on hard in a few months time when I have forgotten a lot of it.

I think the Eurogamer review summed it up. The fact that this character was just thrown into a freaky spaceship full of the unknown and he never has a single reaction or emotion. Seems a little strange in third person because you can see him in full and he never even flinches even when you do.

If they had thrown in the odd QTE with a scripted sequence to show him being taken by surprise or some dialogue to show how he is coping with the environment it would have added an awful lot IMO. The way the game is, it's like he's on autopilot and this is all normal for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I think the Eurogamer review summed it up. The fact that this character was just thrown into a freaky spaceship full of the unknown and he never has a single reaction or emotion. Seems a little strange in third person because you can see him in full and he never even flinches even when you do.

If they had thrown in the odd QTE with a scripted sequence to show him being taken by surprise or some dialogue to show how he is coping with the environment it would have added an awful lot IMO. The way the game is, it's like he's on autopilot and this is all normal for him.

Yes. Plus at the end
    when he finds out he's completely insane and the ship has been ****ing with his mind he briefly holds his head and then carries on as normal. WTF??? Then at the very very end when his wife emerges from the shadows he still just looks on.
    Maybe he's just a mute and nobody wants to remind him of it in case they hurt his feelings. Or it could be he had his tongue ripped off in some horrific mining accident which caused deep emotional scarring and will trigger a relapse into a catatonic state if he's forced to relive it again.

Anything is better than a 3rd person cypher. It only works in first-person imo. Even in Half-Life by the time you get to Episode 2 it's becoming a bit ridiculous that you don't say a word. Like you're some kind of trained PhD carrying chimp or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dead Space, a game that has joined with Eternal Darkness and Silent Hill 2 as games that not only made me jump, but also, at 2am, quietly say to myself
    "thats enough for now" and put the pad down, maybe have a quick game of Katamari Damacy to help pull myself back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xeni

Playing that on PC atm and I must say that im loving it. Not the most scary game I've played (that would be Silent Hill 2 :P) but the whole gameplay and story is very good.

Nearing half way through and I've got so many mixed feelings about it.

It has made me jump a few times and I love it for that - really has stirred me a couple of times. Namely
    after starting the generators in the large room that opens up you walk out into the corridor and the giant tentacle thing grabs you and starts flinging you around - didn't see it coming at all and I shat myself :)

But I'm already bored of the constant chores. One thing after another. I hate the other two characters with a passion.

Aside from that though it's going ok - I like that I meet new beasties as the game progresses which means I have to keep changing my tactics here and there.

Yes. Plus at the end
    when he finds out he's completely insane and the ship has been ****ing with his mind he briefly holds his head and then carries on as normal. WTF??? Then at the very very end when his wife emerges from the shadows he still just looks on.
    Maybe he's just a mute and nobody wants to remind him of it in case they hurt his feelings. Or it could be he had his tongue ripped off in some horrific mining accident which caused deep emotional scarring and will trigger a relapse into a catatonic state if he's forced to relive it again.

Anything is better than a 3rd person cypher. It only works in first-person imo. Even in Half-Life by the time you get to Episode 2 it's becoming a bit ridiculous that you don't say a word. Like you're some kind of trained PhD carrying chimp or something.
    But is he actually insane though? Or is it the marker that is projecting these thoughts into his head? If you watch the animated comic that was brought out before the release, similar things were happening on the colony. People seeing long dead relativies telling them to do certain things

Also, he does show some sort of emotion. When you think about it, it is quite hard to show any sort of emotion when for the majority of the time, you are staring at his back. In tight and scary scenes his breathing becomes more rapid and his heart beat increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

Scared the crap out of me. A brilliant game. Great story and graphics. Cool weapons and enemies. I just have to try another playthrough on insane or whatever the hardest setting is.

Advertisement