Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterlogged I Phone!

• 28-01-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My brother got Iphone in america when he was there, and he was out swimming and didnt realise that the iphone was in his pocket. He came home recently and I am now trying to fix it as he has a new 16gb iphone. Does anyone know the best way to fix it? I have it beside the fire now hopig it will make a difference. I plugged it into the Nintendo Wii via USB and the apple logo shows up and fades away and keeps going on and off. But if I plug into a laptop or computer it won't do anything? Does anyone know why it is doing this and how I can possibly fix it? All help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    WZB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hey,

My brother got Iphone in america when he was there, and he was out swimming and didnt realise that the iphone was in his pocket. He came home recently and I am now trying to fix it as he has a new 16gb iphone. Does anyone know the best way to fix it? I have it beside the fire now hopig it will make a difference. I plugged it into the Nintendo Wii via USB and the apple logo shows up and fades away and keeps going on and off. But if I plug into a laptop or computer it won't do anything? Does anyone know why it is doing this and how I can possibly fix it? All help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    WZB

I'm no electrician, but usually when something is submerged in water for a prolonged period it messes up the electronics. If it was sea water you're doubly fecked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

ye i suppose your right there but i have a little bit of faith:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hey,

Thanks,
    WZB
    Sorry. I cant read past this cause I cant stop laughing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm sure there's a chance it will work again but personally I would just count my losses. Water damaged electronics are generally a further crash waiting to happen.

I don't suppose his travel insurance might cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Take it the hell away from the fire! The last thing you want to do is start exposing it to excessive heat. A hot press is the place for it. For days. But seeing that it's probably been a long while since the incident it's more than likely a lost cause. It's an iphone so i presume that means taking it apart is a no no? If you can take it apart, do. And leave it in the hotpress.
    For anything electronic, the best practice is to remove the battery asap, take it apart as much as possible, dry the inards with a cloth and leave it sit for days in a hotpress or equivalent, then only after that time try to power it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Don't bother sending it back to Apple. They put moisture indicators in the phones that change colour upon contact with water. You can dry it out completely and they'll still know.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭crazy_spider

Take it the hell away from the fire! The last thing you want to do is start exposing it to excessive heat. A hot press is the place for it. For days. But seeing that it's probably been a long while since the incident it's more than likely a lost cause. It's an iphone so i presume that means taking it apart is a no no? If you can take it apart, do. And leave it in the hotpress.
    For anything electronic, the best practice is to remove the battery asap, take it apart as much as possible, dry the inards with a cloth and leave it sit for days in a hotpress or equivalent, then only after that time try to power it on.

I agree take it away from the fire and break it down into as many parts as you can...

If you want to risk taking it apart this seems to be a fairly good video on taking it apart.

http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=X1z0pw2VK7M

Good luck with it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

phone+ salt water= phone death

Next week kids, we'll see why a tractor running over your phone renders it useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

krudler wrote: »
    phone+ salt water= phone death

Next week kids, we'll see why a tractor running over your phone renders it useless!

You're shittin me!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

This may not be related, but anyway.....

a friend once did a similar thing to a digital camera. he was told to dip it in alcohol (can't remember exactly but could have been vodka) - and the camera worked!!

Something about the alcohol replacing the moisture etc etc.....

but please, don't blame me if your iphone gets a little drunk after that! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement