Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At the end of my rope with Vista

• 28-01-2009 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

All,

Can anyone suggest an e-mail address or snail mail address that I can write to in order to vent my frustrations with Vista? I would consider myself an advanced computer user and could make XP do handstands! (similar with 2k, 98, 95 etc...)

Having used Vista for the last year, I have finally decided it is an unredemable steaming piece of $hit. I can honestley say that there is not a single thing that I like about it. Today (the straw that broke the camels back), I created a folder called "dvd" wrote some files to it. Now, I no longer have permissions to access the folder. Even administrator doesnt have access and neither does he have the ability to take control of the folder or see who the owner is!

Which, when you think about it, is a pretty serious state of affairs when you consider the amount of investment in "innovation" that microsoft supposidley put into the product.

Anyway, anyone know anywhere I could write to in order to relieve my frustrations as I backup all my stuff and prepare to downgrade to XP?

Ta
    Jab

</vent>!

Comments

I agree totally. If this is the future of Windows then I don't want to be part of it. Yes Windows 7 fixes some of the things I didn't like but it retains many of them too.

By the way, if you can't get access to that folder even in XP you might want to use NTFSDOS or something similar, it ignores the ACL so lets you access anything once it's not encrypted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

jabaroon wrote: »
    All,

Having used Vista for the last year, I have finally decided it is an unredemable steaming piece of $hit.

It took you a whole year to realise how $hit it is ??!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I realised that after 5 mins! Make yourself happy and return to XP immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

kingtut wrote: »
    It took you a whole year to realise how $hit it is ??!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I realised that after 5 mins! Make yourself happy and return to XP immediately!

Lol!

No, I was sure I didnt like it after about 2 mins, but decided that I needed to give it a try. 10000 failed attempts at liking Vista, I have now firmly given up. Its a crock of festering $hit, plain and simple. Always was and always will be!

So how am I going to get my rant to microsoft and make myself feel better!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jabaroon wrote:
    So how am I going to get my rant to microsoft and make myself feel better!
    they will tell you to relax, all your problems will be solved by buying an upgrade to windows 7 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm using vista since the start and have also used all the other operating systems and I started using computers at the DOS operating level and I find vista a great system and can't wait until windows 7 to see more improvements.

The great feature I like is the search, I've tuned vista to the way I like it and it works fine, no problems with speed or permissions and all driver problems have been sorted.

Why not buy a MAC for yourself, hating vista is Soooooo last year and not as cool as it was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had a similair problem I could not delate a folder as permission was denied even as admin, so I decided to put it out of my misery by moving it out of sight (from desktop to Personal folder). Then I spot this thread and remember it, I just deleted said folder without even being quiered for permission. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

jabaroon wrote: »
    Anyway, anyone know anywhere I could write to in order to relieve my frustrations as I backup all my stuff and prepare to downgrade to XP?>!

When I received my new Sony laptop it had "the Vista" installed on it. After some months of annoyance, anxiety and aggro I decided to vote with my feet and put "the Linux" on it. Now my computer is usable again.

I hope Windows 7 solves some of these problems but I will avoid anything from Microsoft for as long as I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christ..here we go with the Vista bashing again.:rolleyes:
    I'm running vista bit and happy with it..does what I want.
    Won't run XP64bit as the driver/app support for it is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Christ..here we go with the Vista bashing again.:rolleyes:

Ummm... I think if people were happy with the product they paid for, they wouldn't be complaining.

Does Microsoft not allow customers to be dissatisfied now?

Ummm... I think if people were happy with the product they paid for, they wouldn't be complaining.

Does Microsoft not allow customers to be dissatisfied now?

I heard there is a clause in the Windows 7 licence agreement that will forbit disgruntled customers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i am delighted with vista got a copy at croke park so have been using it a long time

i have it on all my pcs and i was never tempted to have even 1 on xp, its just as good

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -mark-

I wouldn't call myself an advanced computer user..
    recently I went out to but a new laptop,basically to browse the net and watch DVD's.
    I didn't know anything about vista really,only that it was the new microsoft O.S. Anyway my laptop came with Vista basic. I went home and messed about on the internet and it seemed pretty much the same as XP. THEN I went to watch a DvD, ERROR blah blah blah no decoder,so i tried again and again. So I went on the net to see what the problem was and I discovered that I was the only one on the planet it seemed that didn't know that vista basic doesn't have the decoder to watch DVD's!!
    Crap!!! That's all I can say...another 85 euro to upgrade to premium..NO WAY!!! or I can download VLC or another codecs but they might not play ALL my DVD's
    It's a basic function to watch a DVD,so i'm going back to XP,and i'm none too pleased with Microsoft.....the cheapskates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, XP doesn't include a DVD decoder by default either.
    Vista Home Premium does. Just use VLC, it'll play pretty much anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I agree that vista is 'full-retard' but doesnt media player play dvd's also ?

Not to mention most dvd's (ok - many dvd's) have dvd player software contained on the disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

-mark- wrote: »
    I wouldn't call myself an advanced computer user..
    recently I went out to but a new laptop,basically to browse the net and watch DVD's.
    I didn't know anything about vista really,only that it was the new microsoft O.S. Anyway my laptop came with Vista basic. I went home and messed about on the internet and it seemed pretty much the same as XP. THEN I went to watch a DvD, ERROR blah blah blah no decoder,so i tried again and again. So I went on the net to see what the problem was and I discovered that I was the only one on the planet it seemed that didn't know that vista basic doesn't have the decoder to watch DVD's!!
    Crap!!! That's all I can say...another 85 euro to upgrade to premium..NO WAY!!! or I can download VLC or another codecs but they might not play ALL my DVD's
    It's a basic function to watch a DVD,so i'm going back to XP,and i'm none too pleased with Microsoft.....the cheapskates!

DVD support in VLC is better than WMP in Home Premium imo. i pretty much remove most of the media stuff in Vista and download better, free lightweight alternatives, like VLC, Imgburn, foobar2k etc... it's the media crap that makes Vista slow in the first place.

Morlar wrote: »
    I agree that vista is 'full-retard' but doesnt media player play dvd's also ?
    Only if you have the relevant codecs installed. Home Premium and Ultimate have them but Home Basic, Business and all XP versions don't, so you need third party codecs.

mukki wrote: »
    i am delighted with vista got a copy at croke park so have been using it a long time

i have it on all my pcs and i was never tempted to have even 1 on xp, its just as good

Would you believe that I got one at the launch show too and its still sitting in my drawer!

When I got it I decided to wait for SP1, knowing that it was really a beta. However, in the mean time I needed a new PC and at the time dell weren't giving me an XP option so I vista'd myself to the max.

I was so underwhelmed by my first impression that I never bothered using the free copy I got. All of my other PC's are still running XP and I have no intention of upgrading them! Even my MCE PC was XP based (until I tossed it in favor of XBMC!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Just stick with XP?

Windows 7 ****s all over Vista anyway so I'm be bypassing all this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've been supporting Vista in various companies since it came out.

Still using 64bit XP. May get Windows 7, but I don't know.

Advertisement