Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core duo T2700 question.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The core duo you have there, Terry, is for laptops. If I were you I'd flog it and try and get a few quid.

What's the current processor you have in the computer. If it's pretty old then you should be able to get a new motherboard and processor quite cheapy that would wipe the floor with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I had a feeling it was for laptops. The search on the intel site kept bringing up laptop related results.

The PC I'm currently using is on its last legs. It has an AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz processor and only takes 512 RAM.

I think I'll just flog the processor and keep the motherboard and buy a compatible processor for it. The new motherboard, as you can see, does indeed blow my current one out of the water.

I got both of them for nothing, so I'm not complaining. All I need is a processor and some memory and I'm sorted.
    Cheers.

Edit: How much do these things retail for? I'll flog it at half the going price.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I seen one on ebay for €150 excluding delivery from hong kong. I haven't seen it on any retailers websites though.

To be honest, terry, you'd be throwing away money on a Pentium 4 or Pentium D unless you got it really cheap. A cheap modern cpu would easily out perforum it. Like the following. Check adverts for a cheap motherboard and core 2 duo or pentium dual core (a pentium dual core is very different to a pentium d). If you have some ddr2 ram lying about then it would save you having to buy that as well.

I saw a fairly decent motherboard with processor and 1GB RAM for about €120 in Maplins last year. Can't remember the exact specs, but It didn't seem as good as this motherboard.

I suppose ebay is a good place to start looking, price wise.
    I really want to keep the motherboard though.

I'll take a look at ebay anyway and then see how I get on with tonight's lotto. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: Onlt have some SDRAM lying around, so that's not really any use to me. Except for the PC I have ready to give to my cousin. It'll do her young kids as a first PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

julep wrote: »
    I saw a fairly decent motherboard with processor and 1GB RAM for about €120 in Maplins last year. Can't remember the exact specs, but It didn't seem as good as this motherboard.

I suppose ebay is a good place to start looking, price wise.
    I really want to keep the motherboard though.

I'll take a look at ebay anyway and then see how I get on with tonight's lotto. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: Onlt have some SDRAM lying around, so that's not really any use to me. Except for the PC I have ready to give to my cousin. It'll do her young kids as a first PC.

You might have thought you did, but you probably didn't, knowing Maplins! They bunch together old/budget processors, with budget, cheap motherboards and generic, unbranded 1gb sticks of ram....

You'd get a Pentium D 3.4Ghz for about 40 euro on adverts.ie, and 2gb of ram for 20, to be honest if you got the motherboard for for free, paying that much for the CPU/ram isn't a crime and it's still lightning fast for anything day to day, and tenfold faster then your old Athlon. Even for games, with a decent card, it'd get by OK-ish. I know you won't be playing games really, but just an example of it's power.

For example to overhaul the whole thing even in a budget perspective, you'd be looking at a board for about 50, 40-80 for the CPU (depending on what you want from the machine), and then 20-25 for the ram.

Be careful buying on Ebay, Pentium D prices are generally very high as for a lot of people they're a last potential upgrade before changing the entire machine (board+cpu rather then just cpu) and can command fairly high prices, that are absolutely not reflected in their performance. Stick with adverts.ie if you can, I know a 3.4Ghz Pentium D was going there for 40 recently.

You should make a decent 50-60 euro on that laptop CPU back on Ebay, at the worst. Also, if you can't find a Pentium D, check out Celeron D's (make sure socket 775, as they were also in S478; also make sure you get one with as much L2 cache as possible) on Ebay - cheap as chips and absolutely fine for day to day use, and still much faster then your old Athlon. You also might get one of these on adverts for 15-25 euro. But they're becoming rare enough. Also, don't forget if you stick with the current motherboard you'll also need a pci-express video card, but you could get a basic one for 10-15 euro on adverts.ie or Ebay.

If you want to buy new, these would be the minimum prices, but it'd be a totally functional and decent machine for the usual day to day tasks of browsing, listening to music/watching movies, and all that (the motherboard has onboard video, so no seperate video card required) - and at the end of the day a huge upgrade from your current Athlon machine:

julep.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    I'm not a huge gamer. I'd just play unreal the odd time, so graphics are not a huge concern.

I'm gonna check adverts now and see what I can get.
    I'd rather buy from there anyway. ebay is too anonymous for my liking.

Advertisement