Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest leaving certificate subjects to do at Higher Level?

• 28-01-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I know that there is not easy subjects, but i mean the easiest of a bad bunch:P?? EG. a subject where you went into the exam hall and felt really confident about doing well in? I don't mean subjects which include coursework (such as woodwork) as i would be doing this as an additional subject from home to maximise points... thanks:D:D

Comments

Really the only subjects you'll find easy are ones you enjoy, have an aptitude for and have done the work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Geography and Biology I find very short and easily remembered. Biology isn't that short thinkin about it, but there's no really hard topics. Applied maths if you're good at maths and physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I would probably say History or Geography as they mainly involve just a hell of a lot of learning. If you're up for that then they would be best....Although they both have projects worth 20% but they are quite easy to do provided that you put the work in!
    If not you could try business, I havn't done it since jc but i presume it just involves loads of reading & learning....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Applied Maths.

Honest to hell, but thats what im good at! Depends on the person, app maths does have one of the highest percentages of a's though

• Advertisement

+1 for Applied Maths.

It's a very short course and it has one of the highest A rates. It isn't actually that difficult at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd disagree with history being easy. There really is a lot of work to do and the special research will be hell if you've no interest.
    Business could be grand though, as long as you can learn off the content and formulae. Answering succinctly with relevant examples should set you up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

I found Maths to be much easier than App Maths......

btw GENERALLY, only the best maths students do App Maths. Thats why the A grade is so high.

They are good subjects because they are not subjective:cool:

And oh ya..... you dont have to learn off anything for business!

Physics formula however :mad:

Why am i mad? Im finished the LC:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I would probably say History or Geography as they mainly involve just a hell of a lot of learning. If you're up for that then they would be best....Although they both have projects worth 20% but they are quite easy to do provided that you put the work in!
    If not you could try business, I havn't done it since jc but i presume it just involves loads of reading & learning....

Geograpghy is easy i have to say, but history is a no go is terms of easyness.History in the jc was simple,however the lc paper is set up good bit differently.You have to be fairly decent at answering essay type questions. I got a B1 in it but believe me,i only got that through one of the best teachers you could have.I suppose i did it outside school and since there was only 2 in the class he was able to devote all his attention on us.You really need to know how to answer questions and the only way to really do that is through school.Plus you have to put in LOAD of learning.

Anyways, Iv heard that music is meant to be simple,but i suppose you really have to be doing music for years to be truly good at it.Maybe you could take up religion,id say thats the one because the people in my year that did religion only did it for about half a year and received good enough marks in the subject.They reall only did it in half an hour as one teacher offered to do the subject at around xmas in the final year.Then instead of having a future planning class(or whatever its called,cant remember the name) to help us decide what were gonna do,they did religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

Twee. wrote: »
    I'd disagree with history being easy.

I meant that the Research Topic is easy. History itself is a **** with all the learning. I've ended up getting grinds in the institute cause there's so much to know and my teacher is a dribbler! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

easiest has to be biology

.............but you get about 2 arch folders full of notes that you have to memorise ,.......other than that it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Noway! Easiest subject has to be music at higher level! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'd say Applied Maths. Short course, not very learning intensive. Providing you have the aptitude, output per input is huge.

With regards History, I think the research study is the hardest part. I just can't help but procrastinate. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Really the only subjects you'll find easy are ones you enjoy, have an aptitude for and have done the work for.

100% agree.
    I did best in Physics, History, English and Biology. Not traditionally seen as 'easy' subjects, but I found them very interesting and enjoyed studying them.
    In fact its fair to say, because I enjoyed them so much, I should have spent more time on the subjects I was doing less well at (Irish, of course!).

Also, a mate took Economics because he heard it was an easy A and got a D1 or something.
    And in my own LC class (long time ago - think quills writing on parchment in candle light) the Geography teacher marked everyones Pre exams up (she thought the external marker was too harsh on her wee darlins') so loads got As. They all thought they were the sh*t and did f**k all Geo for the rest of the year. In the LC I think only one got an A. Kinda funny, if your not in that class.

Take home message -Don't listen to the hype, let your conscience be your guide!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Davidius wrote: »
    I'd say Applied Maths. Short course, not very learning intensive. Providing you have the aptitude, output per input is huge.

With regards History, I think the research study is the hardest part. I just can't help but procrastinate. :pac:

Cha - My history teacher was stone cold useless. She told our class most people dont bother with the research paper so I didnt do one.
    Fast forward to a lecture series in Limerick for LC History. Students doing research paper asked to raise hands - que me looking around at a sea of arms going WTF!!!

Re-reading this and my last post I must say, I went to a terrible school.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

higher level German for me as I can consistently do exam questions as part of exams without any study and always get B's or higher, I think the gap between German at higher at junior cert and German at higher leaving cert is very small.

Oral is very approachable too, sickner to all the French people, I constantly here dreading and doubtful tones when that subject is mentioned!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Pick any subject where the numbers sitting the exam is low( like Physics:)).
    Less candidates sitting particular exam = higher grade with less work !
    Don't pick popular ones like Geography, as the above won't apply so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Accountancy is piss easy if you can get your head around it in jc:D
    History...easy/ wtf im doing 7 honours includin maths and chem and history is the hardest i have

altho teacher is pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

English has to be the easiest. So long as you study the poetry properly unlike me last year who banked on Eavan Boland to come up. I still managed a B2 without asnwering a word on the prescribed poetry.
    They're all easy once you have an interest in the subject and you apply yourself properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Agreed But Business is a very basic course and so is Geography.

The hardest are the practical subjects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

+1 for Applied Maths.

It's a very short course and it has one of the highest A rates. It isn't actually that difficult at all.

it wouldnt be for pass level maths students though?or is it a different kind of math (more in the direction of physics)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Music has a 50 percent practical so you'd feel alright walking into the exam. Though to do well in the practical you'd have been playing an instrument prior to taking up music. Then 25 percent of the written exam is composing which I find easy enough. I think it's an easy subject but also boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BadApple

http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2008/nat_stats_2008n.pdf

very varied statistics here for last three years of LC results. some subjects definitely easier to get A at HL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Fol20 wrote: »
    Maybe you could take up religion,id say thats the one because the people in my year that did religion only did it for about half a year and received good enough marks in the subject.They reall only did it in half an hour as one teacher offered to do the subject at around xmas in the final year.Then instead of having a future planning class(or whatever its called,cant remember the name) to help us decide what were gonna do,they did religion.

do not do religion.. hardest A to get! if you are very very good at english, ie. write A standard 2 pages in 13 mins then go for it - its a lovely course but an incredible amount of learning, and its impossible to predict the papers. alot of the questions focus on tiny paragraphs in the book, like 4 or 5 lines, and you have to be able to bulk it up on the day and try to get a good answer. Its marked under the PCLM of english. Also the questions are worded a bit wierd, its never straight foward. Not an easy A by any means!! I find it so difficult to get a good grade in, and english isnt a prob to me. impossible subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Applied maths is only easy because the only people who pick it up are the people who are interested in it. I can't see anyone who has no interest in physics or maths do well in it. It's a very complicated subject where you can't simply sit down and learn as much as you can. You're either able to do it or you're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Can well agree that history is thought ****e in general. From what I've seen the teacher just reads the coloured books day after day.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think Biology is the easiest by far. Very little thinking involved, just regurgitating information, which suits me just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Definitely has to be accounting, if you've any kind of aptitude for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Music must be fairly easy. My son did it at Higher level. He never did music at all as a subject at school - can't read music at all. He just decided to enter for it about a month before. He played drums for the practical and got a C2. He's OK at dums but nothing special.

Advertisement