Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest leaving certificate subjects to do at Higher Level?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ogham wrote: »
    Music must be fairly easy. My son did it at Higher level. He never did music at all as a subject at school - can't read music at all. He just decided to enter for it about a month before. He played drums for the practical and got a C2. He's OK at dums but nothing special.

I'd disagree, the practical is worth 50% so probably easier to pass at higher level than some subjects but hard to get an A in.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Apperently 88% of students get an A in the practical of music, which is 50% of real exam. So really students just go down in the composing/listening. If you learn the theory and listen to your peices ever now and then, it's a sinch! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

LAnguages, especially those that have only recently made their way onto the curriculm have very high A grade rates. In 2010 a third of Japanese HL takers got an A1 and most of these were Irish people who just had an interest in the language. More than half of Russian takers also got an A1. I think languages are the way to go. I'm learning French and German in school and JApanese by myself. I'm also thinking of learning Russian during TY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Really the only subjects you'll find easy are ones you enjoy, have an aptitude for and have done the work for.
    Balls:p!! I hate chemistry and not much of a fan of physics but I got an A1 in phys-chem! Construction is supposed to be total piss too and I heard Ag Science and Music are subjects for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

Technology was by far the easiest subject I did for the LC, compared to the rest there is a lot less study! (The project can take up a bit of time, but its worth 50%, so it's well worth it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

IMO ;

Biology - very easy to get a B ( I got an A this year when I knuckled down ) and it is one of the few subjects that you could actually do on your own without getting totally confused :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It all depends on the paper and whether you like it or not and aswell your attitude towards the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭furbey

Business, geography, economics, ag science, biology and physics-physics is the easiest subject in the leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

For me, it was Maths, but I'm odd like that, I doubt many would agree. Applied Maths is nice and short, if that's what you mean, but you've got to be good at maths. Accounting is easy if you can add and subtract and work out percentages, and are bothered to learn off a few layouts.
    Really it depends what you are good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Always thought English was piss easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

imo construction was fairly easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I got a B1 in Construction and I didn't learn anything for it basically :pac: but you have to put a **** load of effort into your project but that'll be worth it in the long run

learn the drawings off and learn the wee bit your teacher goes through and if your anyway good at all you'll get a very good mark - like I said I got a B1 and I didn't do a toss pretty much for 2 years - really really wish I'd listened a wee bit more and I could have gotten an A1 without any real effort at all

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Notice nobody mentioned art or music :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Quite a few people mentioned music.

Definitely don't do art though, it's a nightmare. I'd recommend business, as long as you know the format for answering questions, it's just a case of learning basic enough information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The easiest subjects so far seem to be:
    Construction
    Music
    Phys-Chem
    Ag Science

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Ragamuffin

Very interesting thread. Don't mean to hijack but have a few questions myself in regards to Agricultural Science.

I heard it was a short enough course, is this true? I had a browse through an exam paper and seems to be a sort of mixture between Biology and certain aspects of Geography, is there aspects of business involved too?
    Also is there practical work or any kind of project involved and if a person didnt come from a farming background would they be at a disadvantage?

Would really appreciate any kind of insight,
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Business
    ag science
    history
    accouting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'd say Geography's the easiest but if you don't want to do the project then i'd go for Business or Biology. You definitely have to have an interest in it though or it's going to be a nightmare. I used to dread going into double Business!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Home ec social and scientific is by far the easiest. They didnt teach it at our school but a few of us stuck it down on our exams list and we all got c1 at higher level or better with no study.

If you do biology already its worth it because a good bit of it is biology and the rest is waffle :P

Is this subject still available even?

Accounting also piss easy. LEarn a few layouts tick off a few figures and your done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ClodaghJoan

Definately business, it's just memorising, it's not too long a course and some of it can be predicted easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Looking through the thread i see quite a few people have said accounting is easy. A lot of people have told me it's impossible :(. I'm thinking of doing it now instead of biology :rolleyes: but i'm not sure. Anybody do both these subjects and which is easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rosie_McRose

Interesting thread. I'm repeating this year as a mature student for points only so don't need Irish English Maths.
    Subjects picked for far are, Biology, Chemistry, Business, Geography, Home Ec. I need to pick up one more this year and my thoughts so far are Classical Studies, Physics, or Accounting.
    I was advised to do Classical Studies by a grinds school, Physics I did originally in the LC (not that I remember any of it at this stage), and Accounting has a high percentage of A's plus I have the very basics as I keep my own accounts for work, so maybe a JC knowledge.
    I hadn't thought of Ag Science , so what do people think is 'easiest' Classical Studies, Physics, Accounting, or Ag Science???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ragamuffin wrote: »
    Very interesting thread. Don't mean to hijack but have a few questions myself in regards to Agricultural Science.

I heard it was a short enough course, is this true? I had a browse through an exam paper and seems to be a sort of mixture between Biology and certain aspects of Geography, is there aspects of business involved too?
    Also is there practical work or any kind of project involved and if a person didnt come from a farming background would they be at a disadvantage?

Would really appreciate any kind of insight,
    Thanks!

If you're thinking about Ag Science read this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467114

There's no business in ag science.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

There is no such thing as an easy subject but I found Geography fine because it's pure learning, but it is a absolute b*tch when it comes to results - As are very difficult to come by... I found Biology to be the easiest of my subjects - but that said, I adored it and not everybody does.

I have heard that Physics-Chemistry is a good one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Accounting is by no means easy. It was probably my favourite subject but it required a huge amount of work to get the A1 that I did. Remember you can't cram for accounting, and one mistake can often be costly enough even though you aren't double penalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laidback Mike

In my opinion all leaving cert subjects are hard. You must put in the work i found English and History the easiest because i enjoy the subjects I taught engineering would be easy but everything from the project to the theory was tough because i did nothing. And Physics even if your good at maths stear well away from it unless your willing to do serious study.

Did my lc this year by the way got my coarse so happy days!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I did geog outside school. Didn't kill myself working for it only going to the institute each weekend in 6th year. I got 90 points out of it in the end. I did nothing in 5th year because I only realised I would need to take an extra subject end of 5th as I was considering taking ordinary maths. There is a project worth 20% and I think the average mark on that is somewhere in the region of 17% so it's great knowing you already have something like that before seeing any exam paper. Definitely manageable at home when your leaving cert brain is used to learning huge chunks of information and regurgitating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If you have any bit of cop on at all then Economics will be one of the easiest subjects you will do. People tend to love it or hate it though.

The paper is often predicted beforehand and it usually sticks very true to this. I picked it up 4 months before the leaving and thought myself the course, only learning what was predicted to come up. There are two sections in it, micro and macro. I was fully sure I would get an A going in, having the predicted micro off, however a horrific paper came up. I still managed a B however, as if you have the ability to waffle or bull****, you can do well in macro without having it studied. There is no wrong answer in macro economics, it is all opinions. The micro is more straight forward, but it is a short course and if you study it for a year you should have it covered easily.

Advertisement