Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swan rescue Galway ?

Options
  • 28-01-2009 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of volunteering as I have some experience. Does anyone know the people involved & what they are like ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's a great idea, pitty the people behind it are ignorant pigs who won't accept that the Claddagh pier and slipway were built for BOATS, not for swans to sh1t on. (I'm talking about the Claddagh Swan Rescue crowd, not sure if there's any other one in Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well I am sure that there is room for you to launch your fleet without needing to hurt the swans. You & a few mates will love your boats whilst thousands love the swans. Looks like there may be one more "ignorant pig" !.

So how ignorant were the people who ran over swans whilst parking their cars at the Ice Rink ?.

Discodog wrote: »
    Well I am sure that there is room for you to launch your fleet without needing to hurt the swans. You & a few mates will love your boats whilst thousands love the swans. Looks like there may be one more "ignorant pig" !.

So how ignorant were the people who ran over swans whilst parking their cars at the Ice Rink ?.

1) I don't launch my 'fleet' there - it's not practical. My opinion was based from observing others so don't get up on your high horse swan with me :pac: I've (on numerous occasions) observed people trying to launch boats at Claddagh slipway (you do realise that that's what the slipway was built for, right?). One person would reverse the boat back while the other would walk down the slip-way so that the swans would walk to the side, making space for everyone. The best I ever encountered was when one of these swan rescue people came running down the slipway shouting at the man trying to move the swans. Would they have preferred if the swans were crushed by a jeep/trailer? :rolleyes: There's no pleasing some people unless everyone preaches out of their hymn sheet - judging by your initial reply (presuming that i'm ignorant) that you're one of those people

2) Swans being driven over because of people parking for the Ice Rink has nothing to do with what I was talking about. However since you want to bring it up, I doubt anyone on their right mind would purposly drive over any living creature. So i'd replace 'ignorant' with 'couldn't see'

As I said, the idea of a Swan Rescue is a great idea, but imho it should be run by something like the SPCA, not some crazy oul' bats with nothing better to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If you're driving in a carpark slowly and cant see a BLOODY GREAT SWAN walking around you shouldnt be driving. End of.

If you're driving in a carpark slowly and cant see a BLOODY GREAT SWAN walking around you shouldnt be driving. End of.

Um, are you familar with the particular area? I don't know the details of what happened (only read reports in the paper) but i'm guessing that a car reversed on the gravel (in the dark) decline and hit the swan? When they're sitting down they're not that big

Lot's of people shouldn't be driving, end of... but there's already a thread about that so why not try to stick on topic?

OP: Here's the contact details, maybe try phoning them and meet up some time, that'll give you an idea of what they're like: http://galwayswanrescue.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I doubt anyone on their right mind would purposly drive over any living creature. So i'd replace 'ignorant' with 'couldn't see'
    I would, they're dirty vermin that spread TB. I've seen them rape several small animals and, I have it on good authority they work for satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's a great idea, pitty the people behind it are ignorant pigs who won't accept that the Claddagh pier and slipway were built for BOATS, not for swans to sh1t on.

I think you should really take this up with the swans John. Bring a couple of Polish lads with you when you're launching the Armada and they should sort the swans right out:D

Seriously, I agree with you on the state of the slipway in the Claddagh. It's a bloody nightmare trying to launch a boat from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

galway is the second largest "swanery" in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Lots of people 'swanning' around in Galway right enough:D

Dear John

I may be a relative newbie here but I have already noticed the number of posts where you are criticised for not reading before answering. You stated that the Swan rescue are "ignorant pigs". I said that, in that case, if I were to join them that there would be one more ignorant pig clearly meaning me & not you.

I will advise the Swan's of your anger management problem. They are intelligent creatures & I am sure that you will have their sympathy.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I think you should really take this up with the swans John. Bring a couple of Polish lads with you when you're launching the Armada and they should sort the swans right out:D

MmMmMmmmmmm tastes like chicken :D

Dear John

I may be a relative newbie here but I have already noticed the number of posts where you are criticised for not reading before answering. You stated that the Swan rescue are "ignorant pigs". I said that, in that case, if I were to join them that there would be one more ignorant pig clearly meaning me & not you.

I will advise the Swan's of your anger management problem. They are intelligent creatures & I am sure that you will have their sympathy.

Um, I read your post perfectly fine. The problem is that your post wasn't very clear.

You talk about me and a few others enjoying boats, and then just say "Looks like there'll be one more ignorant pig". Now, if you were trying to be CLEAR on what you were saying, you could have said "Looks like there'll be one more ignorant pig associated with the swan rescue". So, in your head you may have stated crystal clear about you being an ignorant pig if you joined the rescue, but unfortunately that didn't translate clearly when you typed. Maybe you should proof-read your posts in future?

PS. Ever eat a swan? *nyom*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ignorant? They should be given the freedom of the city and the keys to the Seoige sisters.

Swans are vastly over-rated, violent and graceless birds.

Swan tastes nothing like chicken - more like a cross between Duck & Goose !.

I will endeavour to ensure that my missives's achieve the highest level of legibility to avoid any possible misinterpretation by those who may suffer from any potential persecution complex.

Swan tastes nothing like chicken - more like a cross between Duck & Goose !.

:eek:

Let me get this straight, you're mad to volunteer and help these animals, but then you just eat the things? Ah, smart move that'll see you survive this recession... Rescue the injured, make sure there's plenty population of swans, then when you run out of money you can just snatch the odd swan and eat it up *nyom* and no one will be any the wiser!

So what have we learned today folks? We've learned the Discodog eats swan. I'm on to you! :pac:

Robbo wrote: »
    Ignorant? They should be given the freedom of the city and the keys to the Seoige sisters.

How strange that when I was interviewing the Swans that was the exact phrase that they used to describe some humans - but they were too polite to mention names.

But cheer up my nautical chums as the Volvo will bring thousands of visitors, who will all feed the swans, who will in turn cover the slipway in even more guano.

How strange that when I was interviewing the Swans that was the exact phrase that they used to describe some humans - but they were too polite to mention names.

But cheer up my nautical chums as the Volvo will bring thousands of visitors, who will all feed the swans, who will in turn cover the slipway in even more guano.

You talk to swans? Hmm, think it's hospital you should be, not helping swans

For the Volvo stopover, that slipway will be so busy with small boats launching the swans won't be anywhere near the slipway unless they plan on being squashed

:eek:

Let me get this straight, you're mad to volunteer and help these animals, but then you just eat the things? Ah, smart move that'll see you survive this recession... Rescue the injured, make sure there's plenty population of swans, then when you run out of money you can just snatch the odd swan and eat it up *nyom* and no one will be any the wiser!

So what have we learned today folks? We've learned the Discodog eats swan. I'm on to you! :pac:

You critised my lack of clarity in posts. Now what exactly do you mean by being "on to me" ?. Sorry mate I am heterosexual !.

The one thing you have learned is that I have work to do unlike you lazy Swan haters !. But I will look out for a chap slipping in the Swan ****e with steam coming out of his ears !

You critised my lack of clarity in posts. Now what exactly do you mean by being "on to me" ?. Sorry mate I am heterosexual !.
    You're not one for a bit of light banter/humour, are ya? You'll fit right in with the Swan Rescue crowd so - Don't think i've ever seen them smile
    The one thing you have learned is that I have work to do unlike you lazy Swan haters !. But I will look out for a chap slipping in the Swan ****e with steam coming out of his ears !

Doesn't say much about you, laughing at others misfortunes. Chances are they'll be a tourist just trying to feed the swans. Shame on you. All I know is it won't be me, my 'fleet' are much too big to launch from Claddagh.

Discodog - If you're so into helping swans etc, why don't you volunteer to clean up their sh1t? Do the city a service

Well unlike some humans they only produce ****e from one orifice !

• Advertisement

Well unlike some humans they only produce ****e from one orifice !

You sh1t out your mouth/ears/nose? :eek: That can't be tasty

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ladies can we put all this aside and move forward onto the recipes for tasty swan?

Can we get the boffins at the Charcoal Grill Institute of Culinary Science to come up with a Mixed Swan & Doner Kebab?

Ladies can we put all this aside and move forward onto the recipes for tasty swan?

Can we get the boffins at the Charcoal Grill Institute of Culinary Science to come up with a Mixed Swan & Doner Kebab?

*nyom* *nyom* *nyom*

What about a curry? Is the meat tender enough I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

"Oooh! You're ignorant!"
    "No YOU'RE ignorant!"
    "Ooh! You're gay!"
    "Ooh! You like totally eat swan! Eeeeugh!"
    "Ooh! Well you have **** coming out of your mouth!"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think you should start a "Most Overrated Avian" thread on AH.

:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

cornbb wrote: »
    "Oooh! You're ignorant!"
    "No YOU'RE ignorant!"
    "Ooh! You're gay!"
    "Ooh! You like totally eat swan! Eeeeugh!"
    "Ooh! Well you have **** coming out of your mouth!"

Thanks for that, saved me reading the thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Canada-Goose-Szmurlo.jpg

Now that's a noble bird. Them things'll take out a mutherf*ckin plane. Blame Canada!

(We're allowed to eat this national symbol, too. I've heard they're delicious.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've seen Canadian geese in Fanore (at least they looked like Canadian geese). Lovely looking birds. Yep, tasty looking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Our old Black Lab used to love running after a huge flock of them - seeing and hearing 200 of these massive, noisy beasts rocket into the air simultaneously is quite the sight.

And the great black dog barking at them in the air, jumping, as if to say, "I just wanted to play... honest!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Xiney wrote: »
    I used to love running after a huge flock of them - seeing and hearing 200 of these massive, noisy beasts rocket into the air simultaneously is quite the sight.

And me barking at them in the air, jumping, as if to say, "I just wanted to play... honest!"

There you go Xiney, fixed your post.:D

Advertisement