Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Roads Allocation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I know its not going to work quite this way, but if you take ALL traffic from the N18, N6 and N17 as they stand and put them on the M6 from the Rathmorrisey Junction to Galway, then you are already extremely close to the 54k capacity of a D2m motorway.

A good chunk of that traffic on a three level stack will jam it up.

I dont think this junction will be a nightmare, it'll be ok with non-severe delays but it does seem very short sighted, especially when its a huge junction in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'd say two M20 tolls would be overkill. The motorway is only just around 90 km. The best option is to have one toll just south of Mallow and make it more expensive rather than have two cheaper tolls. I'd rather pay 3.80 once than 1.90 twice. The reason I say build it south of Mallow is obviously to catch people out who'll try and avoid the motorway and force them through Mallow. Sounds mean, but we NEED to use these roads and pay the tolls otherwise we won't get anywhere.

And why is there no M20 MSA mentioned anywhere?

Sorry chief, but if you plonk a toll south of Mallow there will be nobody using the M20. Everybody will get off at Mallow (north) or not bother getting on it at Mallow. It's not far of a journey from Mallow to Cork and the road is relatively good in comparison with the rest of the N20.

There isnt going to be a Buttevant junction is there? I think the nearest junctions are at Charleville and Mallow. So toll halfway between the two, so the alternate route is the crap through Buttevant? Who'd take THAT as an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The indicative junction locations as per the EPRC brochure were south of Charleville (around Ballyhea) and Mallow North (out by Oliver's Cross N72/N73).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I know its not going to work quite this way, but if you take ALL traffic from the N18, N6 and N17 as they stand and put them on the M6 from the Rathmorrisey Junction to Galway, then you are already extremely close to the 54k capacity of a D2m motorway.

A good chunk of that traffic on a three level stack will jam it up.

I dont think this junction will be a nightmare, it'll be ok with non-severe delays but it does seem very short sighted, especially when its a huge junction in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

A lot of R339 (quite a busy route into Galway) traffic will switch to the M6 too. For example, many people from Athenry and surrounding areas use the R347 + R339 (as alternative to the R348 + N6) to get to Galway - can't see many of these people not switching to the M6. The thing that will put people off using the M6 will be the roundabout at Doughiska.

I remember Noel Grealish saying that the N6, R338 and R339 (Galway's 3 eastern approach roads) carried a combined 65,000 vehicles per day. The N6 and R338 would include N18 traffic but that 65,000 figure doesn't include the N17 at all..

The M6 will be ok when it first opens but I feel that when the M17/18 are connected on to it there could be problems with congestion between Galway (J20) and Rathmorrisey Interchange(J18)/Athenry Junction(J17).

They should just make an extra bit of effort and do a proper job on the Rathmorrisey Interchange. It won't be a massive nightmare (because of the free-flow left turn slips) but it would be worth it in the long run just to do it properly from the beginning.
    PS - It really does seem like the reason for the roundabout is so they can attach the MSA onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

KevR wrote: »
    I remember Noel Grealish saying that the N6, R338 and R339 (Galway's 3 eastern approach roads) carried a combined 65,000 vehicles per day. The N6 and R338 would include N18 traffic but that 65,000 figure doesn't include the N17 at all..

Sorry guys but I find this numbers completely improbable. The busiest motorways in Poland (A4 around Katowice) carry around 90-100k per day and it is in the middle of industrial region with population bigger than all Ireland.
    How come that such small city like Galway cause almost as much traffic as 5mln conurbation?
    Where are this numbers taken from?
    Even M50 around Dublin carry only around 90k per day if I'm right. There is no way that traffic around Galway comes even remotely close to such numbers, even if you include all small county lanes.

Full free flow junction is not necessary there, there are much more needed projects to spend money on, looking on Ireland map.
    I think guys you are just spoiled with amount of road building in Ireland in recent years and sometimes just go over the top with your wishes.

It is good to build roads future-proof but you cant exaggerate and build infrastructure which won't be necessary for years. It might makes sense if you have a lot of money but at the moment I don't think Ireland has spare cash to spend ;)
    By the way I hope construction of N18/N17 and N20 start soon. (resonable soon)

Geogregor wrote: »
    Sorry guys but I find this numbers completely improbable.

The busiest motorways in Poland (A4 around Katowice) carry around 90-100k per day and it is in the middle of industrial region with population bigger than all Ireland.
    How come that such small city like Galway cause almost as much traffic as 5mln conurbation?
    Obviously the roads in Galway City combined don't generate anywhere near the same amount of traffic as all the roads combined in a 5 million urban area in Poland. The M6 specifically will possibly be the busiest road in Galway. It will be a major national interurban route (carrying Galway-Dublin, Limerick & Cork traffic) as well as a major commuter route (Athenry, Loughrea, Gort, Tuam, Ballinasloe.....etc). 60,000+ per day on the M6 (between Galway and Rathmorrisey/Athenry) is not unrealistic in my opinion.
    Noel Dempsey (a local politican) is the person who came out with the 65,000 figure for the city's 3 eastern approach roads. Not sure where he got his figures from because I can't seem to find any traffic counts for these roads online. I would really like to see a recent traffic count for the N6 Dual Carriageway for somewhere close to Ballybrit or Doughiska. From driving regularly on it I can say that it is a busy road and I think you'd be surprised by the traffic count for it.

To be honest, I can't see 65,000 being that far off the mark for the 3 eastern approach roads combined and I think the M6 will be a busy stretch between Galway and Rathmorrisey/Athenry. We will have to wait and see. I might be wrong and it could be a completely empty road when it opens.

Also, we need to remember that one couldn't, for example, compare Cork and Galway with Kidderminster and Rochdale respectively in England. They're roughly the same size but in no way similar. People are drawn out of Kidderminster and Rochdale into Birmingham and Manchester in large numbers on a daily basis where as people from outside Cork and Galway are drawn into these cities everyday. Cork, Galway and Limerick are always going to be busier and more important in a national context than similarly sized towns in other countries with much bigger populations. The likes of Rochdale/Kidderminster will never need or get the same level of infrastructure that Cork, Galway or Limerick will need/get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lads. I feel that there will be at most 2 bidders for this PPP and that both bids will be rejected ....albeit not until after the local elections in June :p

PPP economics are all ****ed up now.

1. The government used to borrow at the same rate as the Germans ( c.3%) but must now borrow at c 5.7%...and rising.

2. A PPP is where the private sector could borrow at a similar cost to the government but do a better job. As the government was paying the PPP consortium got financed at a rate reflecting the solvency of the government not the private sector. PPPs were pseudo rated as government borrowing if you like even though they were private sector borrowing paid for by the government.

3. This is all gone now. The private sector will probably look for a rate of return of around 10% ...being 5.7% government borrowing rate + Credit Default Insurance Costs of about 2.3% in case of default + a few quid for themselves for all the hassle on top ...say 2% = 10%

Then there is the cost of paying the loan back over 30 years too.

4. This means that the government would be better off financing and building the road itself . 10% per annum ( for 30 years of a DBO contract) for something you could do for 5.7% is insane ....not that Noel Dempsey cares about these things but the dept of Finance certainly does.

Therefore I believe that this will be the only sizeable PPP around for quite some time and that it will fail utterly .

The government may even scale it back from a DBO to a DB _if_ as seems unlikely they get anyone to bid.

KevR wrote: »
    Obviously the roads in Galway City combined don't generate anywhere near the same amount of traffic as all the roads combined in a 5 million urban area in Poland. The M6 specifically will possibly be the busiest road in Galway. It will be a major national interurban route (carrying Galway-Dublin, Limerick & Cork traffic) as well as a major commuter route (Athenry, Loughrea, Gort, Tuam, Ballinasloe.....etc). 60,000+ per day on the M6 (between Galway and Rathmorrisey/Athenry) is not unrealistic in my opinion.

Equally A4 is the busiest road in Silesia region, apart from serving as important local motorway it is also major connection between Germany and Ukraine. And it only gets about 90-100k.
    65k a day, going west of Galway it means that every women, man, child and toddler drive west of Galway at least once a day. It's absurd calculation.
    Noel Dempsey (a local politican) is the person who came out with the 65,000 figure for the city's 3 eastern approach roads. Not sure where he got his figures from because I can't seem to find any traffic counts for these roads online. I would really like to see a recent traffic count for the N6 Dual Carriageway for somewhere close to Ballybrit or Doughiska. From driving regularly on it I can say that it is a busy road and I think you'd be surprised by the traffic count for it.

So this is typical number from celling (as we say in Poland ;) They probably choose the busiest hour then multiply it by 24 and that's how they came out with such numbers.
    Ech, politicians.
    2 lane motorway can handle about 54-55k a day comfortably as far as I know. N6 is not motorway it is DC with roundabouts and I'm sure numbers are much lower. Even if you add some local approaches it is difficult to imagine 65k a day approaching Galway from the east.
    To be honest, I can't see 65,000 being that far off the mark for the 3 eastern approach roads combined and I think the M6 will be a busy stretch between Galway and Rathmorrisey/Athenry. We will have to wait and see. I might be wrong and it could be a completely empty road when it opens.

I just can't imagine motorways somewhere on the far side of small island, at the end of the continent, next to the small city, to have traffic counts close to major trans-european corridors on the continent.
    I might be wrong but I'll be surprise if I am.
    Also, we need to remember that one couldn't, for example, compare Cork and Galway with Kidderminster and Rochdale respectively in England. They're roughly the same size but in no way similar. People are drawn out of Kidderminster and Rochdale into Birmingham and Manchester in large numbers on a daily basis where as people from outside Cork and Galway are drawn into these cities everyday. Cork, Galway and Limerick are always going to be busier and more important in a national context than similarly sized towns in other countries with much bigger populations. The likes of Rochdale/Kidderminster will never need or get the same level of infrastructure that Cork, Galway or Limerick will need/get.

Of course there is an extra traffic coming to regional center but Kidderminster is also local center for some local towns like Stouport-on-Severn etc. (I have spent some time around Kidderminster)
    Also, even if a lot of people leave Kidderminster for Birmingham and other bigger cities It also generates traffic. Plus, you have traffic just passing by (which is smaller factor for cities on the coast like Galway) Overall I wouldn't expect huge difference in traffic counts around Galway and similar size cities in UK.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against free flow junction at M6/M17/M18. I just don't think it is necessary and that lack of it will cause some major traffic problems. As I mentioned in previous posts there are a lot busier junctions having configuration as proposed for this junction. (M25 examples) and they work just about fine.
    And anyway, it is all already designed so we have to wait and see what happens when road opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Sorry chief, but if you plonk a toll south of Mallow there will be nobody using the M20. Everybody will get off at Mallow (north) or not bother getting on it at Mallow. It's not far of a journey from Mallow to Cork and the road is relatively good in comparison with the rest of the N20.

From the route selection document it appears the M20 is just going to be a upgrade to the N20 south of Mallow. It shows it following it all the way from junction 3 just south of mallow to the north ring linkup.

So unless you are willing to take to the back roads you would be forced to use the toll!

• Advertisement

If this is being built as motorway I'd say they'll build a parallel road for a chunk of it, as it'll be built as motorway from day 1 and will be partly online.

Sorry guys but I find this numbers completely improbable. The busiest motorways in Poland (A4 around Katowice) carry around 90-100k per day and it is in the middle of industrial region with population bigger than all Ireland.
    Even M50 around Dublin carry only around 90k per day if I'm right. There is no way that traffic around Galway comes even remotely close to such numbers, even if you include all small county lanes.

Full free flow junction is not necessary there, there are much more needed projects to spend money on, looking on Ireland map.
    I think guys you are just spoiled with amount of road building in Ireland in recent years and sometimes just go over the top with your wishes.

It is good to build roads future-proof but you cant exaggerate and build infrastructure which won't be necessary for years. It might makes sense if you have a lot of money but at the moment I don't think Ireland has spare cash to spend ;)
    By the way I hope construction of N18/N17 and N20 start soon. (resonable soon)

Here are the numbers. Gotta extrapolate a little as the counters arent in the EXACT places, but we can make a resonable guess. Again, this assumes that every single car will use the new road, which is untrue but still interesting.

N6 east of Ballinasloe = 13,000 (say 15,000 closer to Galway)
    N18 at Gort = 13,000 (say 14,000 closer to Galway)
    N17 at Claregalway = 23,000 (say 24,000 closer to Galway).

Thats 49,000 AADT already.

Take into account the new traffic that these roads may generate, and you're very close to capacity of a D2m.

Now all this traffic will have to use one at-grade roundabout in Galway, so I look forward to the chaos that will generate.

Rathmorrisey junction should really be higher specced and the M6 should be D3M from Rathmorrisey to Galway.

Edit: Data from -

http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/TrafficCounts/TrafficCounterData/html/N06-14.htm
    http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/TrafficCounts/TrafficCounterData/html/N17-16.htm
    http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/TrafficCounts/TrafficCounterData/html/N18-6.htm

The N17 traffic will not use the M17 , by and large and may be discounted by 50% , the counter is south of Claregalway and does not count traffic bypassing Galway via the N18 Oranmore - Claregalway road ....and you counted some of that in the Gort stats .

Then again you should add another 3000 each nearer Galway on the N18 and N6 but these all come through a tight roundabout in Oranmore right now .

I would think that the M6 at Doughiska will see 30k cars a day at most and yes Furet you are right about the roundabout there .

The D3M argument can wait till after this economic hiatus TBH .

Then again I remember 3 versions of the N6 Galway - Oranmore in my lifetime before this scheme and this scheme will thusly be the 4th main road out of galway to the east in my memory . The 5th will likely be that D3M :p

East of Ballinasloe. So a lot of it is commuter traffic between Ballinasloe and Athlone. You can't assume that all this traffic will go to Galway. It is 50km away.
    Again counting local Gort traffic. Where did they count? In the city?
    Here as Sponge said not all the traffic will use future M17

Take into account the new traffic that these roads may generate, and you're very close to capacity of a D2m.
    Again assuming all this traffic counted in three quite distant locations will accumulate at the same junction
    Now all this traffic will have to use one at-grade roundabout in Galway, so I look forward to the chaos that will generate.
    Are you talking about final Galway junction? I agree it is going to be problem. On the other hand motorway has to end somewhere. You can't build flyovers all the way to the city center.
    I was talking about grade separated roundabout where M6 meets M18/M17 (I think this is the final junction design). Here most traffic will go in east-west direction with no need of using roundabout. Also north-south traffic will have free flow flyover. There are going to be free flow ramps for left turning traffic so only traffic using mid-level roundabout (240m diameter) are cars turning right and making U-turn.
    Someone was complaining there is no free flow but I think it should all work fine.

M6 should be D3M from Rathmorrisey to Galway.
    Here you might be right but again it is not sure. Some people might still use old (current) N6 to move around Galway and Oranmore.
    Will they leave reserve for future widening?

Again assuming all this traffic counted in three quite distant locations will accumulate at the same junction

Exactly Geogregor :D And it won't , of course .

You are also quite right in pointing out that traffic east of Ballinasloe includes a sizeable element heading to work or shop in Athlone and that traffic south of Gort would include a sizeable local element and a sizeable element heading for shops in Ennis .

Against that he only added another +1000 per road for traffic further in and I gave him +3000 as a more realistic figure.

East of Ballinasloe. So a lot of it is commuter traffic between Ballinasloe and Athlone. You can't assume that all this traffic will go to Galway. It is 50km away.
    That's true a nice portion of that traffic won't be going to Galway. But on the other hand that traffic count wouldn't include any commuter traffic from Ballinasloe, Loughrea, Craughwell, Athenry and Oranmore. I'm sure that a traffic count on the N6 a lot closer to Galway would definitely have higher results than the one East of Ballinasloe although not everyone will switch to the M6.

I would say the figures Chris mentioned would be about right. I do wish that we had some recent traffic counts for these roads and the R339 also.
    Most Oranmore-Galway traffic will use the 'old' N6 DC or the Coast Road. But th N6 DC will come though the same RAB as the M6. It will be difficult to avoid.. :(

Are you talking about final Galway junction? I agree it is going to be problem. On the other hand motorway has to end somewhere. You can't build flyovers all the way to the city center.
    The final at-grade roundabout in Galway was/is only supposed to be a temporary terminating point for the M6. The plan is to extend the M6 around the North of the city - basically a Northern Ring Road. But there are planning permission problems and finance problems with this project so it looks like Doughiska misery for some years.
    Will they leave reserve for future widening?
    It doesn't look like they are leaving room for future widening. The rock cutting at Doughiska doesn't look wide enough to take any extra lanes and the bridges that are being built don't look like they're being built with future widening in mind. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Does anybody know if there are any drawings/photomontages of the proposed Rathmorrissy Junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Rathmorrisey junction should really be higher specced and the M6 should be D3M from Rathmorrisey to Galway.

But not all this traffic is going to go to Galway, god your post is nothing but stupid:mad:

Your basically saying that, and this is your words and your facts. That all traffic coming from N17/18/19 are going to galway for the fun and joy and because you say so.

NO ITS NOT

You have forgot to mention that local traffic will still use the existing roads.

You forgot to mention that a large chunk of the N18 traffic is going to go north to the N17 as it currently does at the current arrangement. It doesn't need to go via Galway, as does the current layout N18 which ends in Claregalway not Galway.

You also have to take into a account that the N17 is not going to attract 23,000. It will only attract about 10,000 at most on the new motorway

Enough of this exaggeration balony. It might fool others, but you wont fool me in the slightest chris. Good jesus, your post is incredibly biased and inaccurate just to sway your point of view to your argument of your needs.

The existing N6, carries at most 13,000, it doesnt need to Be Dual 3 lane.

The N7 near Limerick is vastly higher. The current N7 between Nenagh handles about 17,000 a day and up to 24,000 at the bypass and 20,000 on the old N7 into Limerick. The M7 isn't going to be Dual 3 lane.

Although I do agree with extra wide verges for a future lane though near the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Now all this traffic will have to use one at-grade roundabout in Galway.

Not quite. It's going to be a three-level stacked roundabout but with freeflow slip-roads to allow certain M6-M18/M17 movements to avoid using the roundabout.

You need to look at the diagram of the proposed Rathmorrisey interchange more closely.

Not quite. It's going to be a three-level stacked roundabout but with freeflow slip-roads to allow certain M6-M18/M17 movements to avoid using the roundabout.

You need to look at the diagram of the proposed Rathmorrisey interchange more closely.

I Think Chris is talking about the M6 roundabout proposed in galway on the existing bypass where the M6 will funnell onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

mysterious wrote: »
    I Think Chris is talking about the M6 roundabout proposed in galway on the existing bypass where the M6 will funnell onto.

Why should that be a problem? The motorway's got to end somewhere. What's the alternative? Ending it in Eyre Square?

Edit: he said this
    Now all this traffic will have to use one at-grade roundabout in Galway.

followed by this
    Rathmorrisey junction should really be higher specced

It's not really clear which junction he's claiming will be an at-grade roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

But it isn't whole thread about the traffic volumes missing the key points which are:

1. The whole point of building a motorway network is to improve connectivity, reduce travel time and take heavy traffic out of our towns and villages;

2. Therefore, a key principle in designing the motorway network should be the development of key interchanges which will facilitate easy movement between important motorways regardless of existing traffic counts;

3 The problems with the current/planned motorway interchanges are twofold:
    a. Existing key junctions just don't have the capacity to deal with existing traffic flows (e.g. Limerick Southern Ring Road juction with N24 is double T juction design with traffic lights!!!!) - it took me 10 minutes to drive from adare to that junction - then 9 minutes queing at this junction. This poor design is a key factor diminishing the economic value to the huge investment in the motorway network; and
    b. Planned key motorway interchanges are so poorly planned its unbelieveable - e.g. end of M9 interchange with M25 and N24 outside Waterford - if travelling on the M9 from Dublin faced with 2 roundabouts and tiny access road that screams 'regular traffic chaos'.

Rathmorrissy is a key east/west and north/south motorway to motorway interchange - i cannot believe it is not going to be fully grade separated - i note that similiar arguements (i.e traffic counts don't justify it, too expensive etc) were made with regard to the M50 etc.

If its going to built it should be built in a way that negates the need for any future upgrading - be it in 10 years or 40 years....

But not all this traffic is going to go to Galway, god your post is nothing but stupid:mad:

Your basically saying that, and this is your words and your facts. That all traffic coming from N17/18/19 are going to galway for the fun and joy and because you say so.

NO ITS NOT

Jesus christ read my post before going off on your ridiculous rant.
    Here are the numbers. Gotta extrapolate a little as the counters arent in the EXACT places, but we can make a resonable guess. Again, this assumes that every single car will use the new road, which is untrue but still interesting.

Yes and if you look closely you'll find that I was the one who posted that pic in the first place.

Edit:

Rathmorrisey = N6/17/18 junction. 3 level stack.
    N6 Galway - Ballinasloe will terminate at an at grade roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

You forgot to mention that a large chunk of the N18 traffic is going to go north to the N17 as it currently does at the current arrangement. It doesn't need to go via Galway, as does the current layout N18 which ends in Claregalway not Galway. .

Mysterious can you back that statement up. From my own experience of driving the route from Limerick to sligo and back nearly every week or so I notice that nearly all of the traffic is heading to Galway. At Claregalway over 90% of the traffic I see is heading N17 direction into galway.
    You also have to take into a account that the N17 is not going to attract 23,000. It will only attract about 10,000 at most on the new motorway

I think your are correct in this regard. Even when or if ever the route is done we will still see the same madness that is Claregalway. Plus the current N17 is not able to hold the traffic that is on it. The new route is really designed for people travelling from the N18 northbound. The current N17 will still be heavily used.

The Rathmorrisey interchange is a disaster IMO.

But quoted figures that all traffic including exaggerating the numbers to the point that all traffic would steer to Galway.

So your point is flawed, contradictory and again inaccurate. Its even stupid to assume your notion that not every single car will use the Ratmorriesy junction to Galway. It would never would be that case anyway.

At most traffic would be 20,000 section. That does combine all motorway traffic. The M17 will not go via this route, I would imagine since been tolled, I actually doubt that the numbers would surpass 10,000 on the M17 60% of this would head via Galway. Much of the traffic will still use the current N17. The other 40% would travel onto the N18 and the west.

49,000 is incredibley hulked up to just champion your silly silly argument. So I'm not been redicolous to point out this fallacy whatsoever.

Then don't quote 49,000 cars a day, your counting all counters going to Galway.

That is balony. it's you who is making a rant out of it. Cus all it is, is a rant

Why should that be a problem? The motorway's got to end somewhere. What's the alternative? Ending it in Eyre Square?

Edit: he said this

followed by this

It's not really clear which junction he's claiming will be an at-grade roundabout.

Chris has a history of wanting to beef up projects, cus of local agenda, he lives there. But in reality just because he desires super roads, doesnt mean he gets them.

On another thread, he claimed that the N28 Ringaskiddy road be on the priority list along the MIUs and other main projects last year.

Hes from Cork. I have to point this out. It's absurd local gobeensim.

Even look at him exaggerationg figures again for his agenda, and when I pull him up he blows to a head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Easy with the multiple posts there mysterious. You've made your point.

• Advertisement

You have forgot to mention that local traffic will still use the existing roads.

As I said above, those who still use the existing N6 DC will have to come through the same RAB at Doughiska as the M6. It will be difficult to avoid if you're coming into Galway from the East (current or new road), South (current or new road) and North (more so just on the new road).

Also, I think I made a good point about traffic counts closer to Galway above.

Advertisement